• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Obsolete Ski Models Better Than New?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I can't get my wife off her 2015 Kenjas - must be a good ski for her.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's absolutely a F'ing amazing ski................... the day my shop guy told me the trails are "just" starting to delaminate was the worst day of my life. They are still skiing fine and I will ski them until they fall apart.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will add, you might want to keep some of these rose colored memories in your head, many times I have gone back and skied older skis that I loved and thought "It can't get any better than this..." only to think, after skiing them again, "How did I ever ski let alone like these planks..."
This an excellent point and something I have wondered about when searching for “that ski” on EBay. I mentioned the Gotama earlier but could be much of the appeal was from living in Utah and having so many stellar days on that ski many years ago. I suppose I could throw the Pocket Rocket in the same category. May be better to keep those skis in the past……

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Glad I'm not the only one. It's absolutely a F'ing amazing ski................... the day my shop guy told me the trails are "just" starting to delaminate was the worst day of my life. They are still skiing fine and I will ski them until they fall apart.
I hope your shop guy took the time to seal the tails, because you know what will happen if water gets in and freezes. They will come apart quicker.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I hope your shop guy took the time to seal the tails, because you know what will happen if water gets in and freezes. They will come apart quicker.
A couple of rivets and some slow cure epoxy and you will be fine! ogsmile

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Big Kahuna. I never had a bad day on them except when I crushed the sidewall.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I suppose I could throw the Pocket Rocket in the same category. May be better to keep those skis in the past……
Blue Noodles! Such a great ski for powder at the time, a real leap forward. A revelation for their time compared to the skinny 210's most people were still skiing. Unfortunately, they would be in the category "what the heck was I thinking" now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fisher Motive 95, replaced by the Pro Mountain. The Motive was a perfect blend (for me) of quick and nimble, yet stable in crud and decent at carving. One of the most fun skis I’d ever been on.

+1

I still own and regularly ski a pair. More demanding than my current, easy-peasy Enforcers, but also more rewarding. No free lunch.
  • Early Nordica Enforcers

Could everybody just quit mentioning this ski. It makes me sad to be reminded that it is gone. :(

The V1.1 with a bit of early rise (lightning bolts) was the ne plus ultra for me -- even better than the Motive 95!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had a pair of Volants that was the best crud ski I have ever owned.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
+1

I still own and regularly ski a pair. More demanding than my current, easy-peasy Enforcers, but also more rewarding. No free lunch.

Could everybody just quit mentioning this ski. It makes me sad to be reminded that it is gone. :(

The V1.1 with a bit of early rise (lightning bolts) was the ne plus ultra for me -- even better than the Motive 95!
Blossom Pure 99 is a modern incarnation and even quieter.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
K2 Pinnacle 88. easy going, balanced, highly versatile and very capable I put a number of intermediates to advanced skiers on them and they all loved this ski. @Doug Briggs loved this ski too and I wouldn't exactly call him "advanced". :).

Question: skis better for who?

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a pair of 7 or 8 y.o. (or older ?) Kastle MX83, 183cms that are my western mountain "It hasn't snowed in over a week" skis. While pre rocker and a bit heavy, I doubt I will find a modern ski that is as stable or predictable at speed on the hard pack.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of 7 or 8 y.o. (or older ?) Kästle MX83, 183cms that are my western mountain "It hasn't snowed in over a week" skis. While pre rocker and a bit heavy, I doubt I will find a modern ski that is as stable or predictable at speed on the hard pack.

thats my current frontside ski. :). the 183 is too long for me as a groomer zoomer but the MX83 is a superb ski Not exactly the most fun bump ski though

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
thats my current frontside ski. :). the 183 is too long for me as a groomer zoomed but the MX83 is a superb ski Not exactly the most fun bump ski though.
And as you might recall when we skied together on my visit to Steamboat a few seasons ago, I am not exactly a bump skier, so the MX83 really works for me. :thumb:

Reactions: Ron

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I've bought "replacements" for my Rictors, but somehow I'm still using them. 255 days and counting.
If I remember right the replacement you bought for your Rictos was the first or second generation iKonic? I'm not surprised you have so many days on your Rictors. I got a "great" deal on a first generation ikonic 85ti without demoing it. I don't really say any modern day skis sucks, but damn I make an exception for the ikonics and do those things plain suck. I remember telling you in that post it gave me no joy at all to say that about those skis you had bought.

I've got five days on the ikonics and I'm not even sure I'll even use them again as rock skis. I have never heard anybody say anything good about them.

So to add to the thread, to me the ikonics that came out after the Rictor were worse in every way.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
These are the 2019 iKonic 84 Ti's. I dont know what "generation" that is. I think it's more 3rd or 4th. The issue I have with them is they are way more demanding and reward aggression. And I don't always feel very aggressive. So I don't use them until mid-season. They are great for ice but they make me work. The old Rictors I never even think about. (Maybe because I have 255 days on them!) Also because they are stiffer than the Rictors I feel like the Rictors are easier in somewhat deeper snow.

I've only got 21 days on the Ikonics after 3 seasons.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The original Blizzard Black Pearl (2011-2014??) Pre-carbon.

Sponsor

Staff online