• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Obsolete Ski Models Better Than New?

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Volkl RTM 84's
Volkl Deacon 84's

I've demo'd the Deacons a couple of times and they just don't "connect" with me. Maybe I'm expecting them to do what the RTM's do, i.e. bash/plow through any crappy conditions that I come across. Maybe if I spent a whole day on them then I'd see the light. Maybe.

I used to see RTMs pretty frequently in the wild. I'm pretty hard pressed to find Deacons out and about, though. I'm talking east coast, of course.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think almost my entire quiver is now obsolete skis.

191 elan m777 px14
190 dps 112 wailer marker dukes
185 Nordica El Capo Look px 15
185 Nordica El Capo Look px 18
184 kastle mx 99 tyrolia attack2 13
184 Head Monster 98 marker griffon
185 Salomon QST 92 warden 13
182 Fischer pro Mt 86 tyrolia attack demo
182 Blossom whiteout vist seed lock

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

191 elan m777 px14
The Blossom and DPS have been updated, but I wouldn’t call them obsolete.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Blossom and DPS have been updated, but I wouldn’t call them obsolete.
The blossoms are still current with the am77. My dps tho are way old, like 2011 2009 vintage so they must be obsolete by now.

Eta: Was being a bit glib. But looking at what's available now, mine are the old hybrid construction which I think is different than the foundation construction and were customs back when they did custom. Also the length and shape have changed. Not to mention they also have a pugski sticker on them.

Last edited:

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier

191 elan m777 px14
Can you give me your thoughts on that Kastle MX 99? Is it as great of a ski as I hear it is?

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you give me your thoughts on that Kastle MX 99? Is it as great of a ski as I hear it is?
I just got them at the end of last season so only have a couple days on the mx99. Still getting used to them so this is more of a first impression that a full season review. I got them to replace the head monster 98 as a charger. Initial thoughts are that the skis are very similar and both love to charge and cave all snow on and off the groomed. mx99 tips feel really mellow at the top of the turn and very smooth compared to the heads which are much more aggressive feeling entering a turn. Once the mx99 engages its very powerful through the fall tine and The mx99 tail is very strong and the skis really have a strong finish to the turn. I think they will be better in pow than the monsters due to how the tip behaves. As for midwinter crud, we will see but it should be at home in the windbuff above treeIine as are the head monsters. Neither ski excels in bumps or trees.

I will probably look at the tune in the fall once the summer wax is off and check bevels and base flatness.

Dadier

Bike to ski. Ski to bike.
Skier
The Not Tahoe West Side / East Side Central Sierra

191 elan m777 px14
those el capos are the shizzle....
i'd add the Rossi CX80

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seriously???
I can think of a “few”….

Attachments

• 73B21612-E146-4C94-B6B4-C94A21065265.jpeg
    73B21612-E146-4C94-B6B4-C94A21065265.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 52

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Seriously???
I can think of a “few”….
I owned a Rossignol Strato 105 in a 195cm in the mid 70s.

I demoed a Blizzard Latigo when they first came out and decided that if I had been an eastern skier, I would own a pair.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I owned a Rossignol Strato 105 in a 195cm in the mid 70s.

I demoed a Blizzard Latigo when they first came out and decided that if I had been an eastern skier, I would own a pair.
When I was purchasing my last pair of skis it came down to a choice between Head i Rally and the Blizzard Latigo both had great reviews. I ended up with the i Rally but I would like to have tried the Latigo. I didn't have a chance to Demo the ski but from what I have read it was a fine ski. I do wonder why they discontinued the ski, because a front side carving ski is so popular here in the east.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will add, you might want to keep some of these rose colored memories in your head, many times I have gone back and skied older skis that I loved and thought "It can't get any better than this..." only to think, after skiing them again, "How did I ever ski let alone like these planks..."
I agree and here is the simple reason.

As things progress and change, we adapt and change our technique according (or at least we should) until we maximize its performance.

Where we don't adapt well, we find the old stuff better and remember it as such, we are do adapt quickly find the new stuff a vast improvement.

But on some occasions the new stuff is truly not better and never will be.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
My circa 2000 Atomic Beta Race 920s were the best skis I've ever owned - for their day.
I still have them, but I doubt I'll ever ski them again - too long and too narrow by todays standards.
I demoed Fischer Motive 86's a number of years back; should have bought them, but I didn't!

jetman

Booting up
Skier
I replaced my Volkl RTM 81s with Deacon 80s last year and, to be honest, I prefer the RTMs. I'm going to be selling one of the two this year at a ski swap and I'm hard-pressed deciding which should go. But my "go-to" skis are the Rossignol Experience 83's I bought in 2013. When I last took them to be tuned, the pro told me that when Rossi ditched the 83's and replaced them with the Experience 84's the ski was never quite the same. I think that maybe the reason I like the Rossis so much is that I've skied them for so many seasons that I simply trust them so much.

Sponsor

Staff online