• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Obsolete Ski Models Better Than New?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I replaced my Volkl RTM 81s with Deacon 80s last year and, to be honest, I prefer the RTMs. I'm going to be selling one of the two this year at a ski swap and I'm hard-pressed deciding which should go. But my "go-to" skis are the Rossignol Experience 83's I bought in 2013. When I last took them to be tuned, the pro told me that when Rossi ditched the 83's and replaced them with the Experience 84's the ski was never quite the same. I think that maybe the reason I like the Rossis so much is that I've skied them for so many seasons that I simply trust them so much.
Interesting that you liked the RTM81 and Experience 83, they were vastly different skis while the Deacon 80's were more like the E83 and the RTM was closer to the E84.

jetman

Booting up
Skier
Interesting that you liked the RTM81 and Experience 83, they were vastly different skis while the Deacon 80's were more like the E83 and the RTM was closer to the E84.
I think that my issue with the Deacons is that the new Low-Ride bindings transferred so much more feeling from underfoot that it made my arthritically sore knees very uncomfortable. Probably an excellent ski for a younger or less afflicted skier, though. I think that I prefer the Experience 83s because they are a little shorter than the RTMs and I am not skiing as aggressively as when I first bought the Volkls. It's kind of funny because I first bought the longer RTMs because I wanted to ski more aggressively and now I prefer the E83s because I'm slowing down as I age.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wifey has 4 sets and wonders why I keep buying skis! LOL She says she is set for life but tends to use her pre carbon's much more and prefers them.
I owned the first gen Black Pearl, the one with the purple bull. A wonderful, easy-going, fun ski! A few years later I sold it for another ski that was stronger on hardpack, but I regret it. That was a cool ski that I’d still enjoy skiing today. Would’ve been great mounted up for tele, too.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll tread lightly as to the Enforcers as I haven't skied the new/current 100. But the original flat tail 100 which I guess is the prior gen is one of the best skis ever made in my book. Changing them for the better is a tall order. As they expanded the Enforcer line I tried the 93-s and 104-s and eventually decided, apart from not skiing like the original flat tail 100, they just weren't at the same level.

The Head Titan in the Supershape line is another really versatile ski that lost that versatility ever since they went with the hammerhead design around 4-5 years ago. The older version was a favorite of the pro sheet teaching crowd. I loved it in 3D up to a half a foot or so and it carved well. I know they reshuffled things and perhaps the Monsters became that ski.

Overall however skis have been getting better and better, notwithstanding certain exceptions.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Does our technique need to evolve with the newer ski models to fully appreciate them the way they are designed to be skied? I demo a new ski and never like it more than what I've got.. Doesn't matter what the ski is. The problem is me there. When I do finally get something a little newer there is a noticeable learning curve and several days before I'm able to really ENJOY the new ski. I'm currently happiest with the early 2010s offereings. But put me on a 2021 and 5+ days later I'm sure I'd agree its a good ski. Just not today though..

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does our technique need to evolve with the newer ski models to fully appreciate them the way they are designed to be skied? I demo a new ski and never like it more than what I've got.. Doesn't matter what the ski is. The problem is me there. When I do finally get something a little newer there is a noticeable learning curve and several days before I'm able to really ENJOY the new ski. I'm currently happiest with the early 2010s offereings. But put me on a 2021 and 5+ days later I'm sure I'd agree its a good ski. Just not today though..
Good point! Whenever I Demo or buy a new ski, my first objective is Drills like Crazy on a blue groomer at slow speed. This allows me to analyze the ski w/ familiar/memorized body movements. The ski tune will absolutely blow up that scenario and show up at the doorstep, baggage in hand wanting to hang out. The most common hiccup for me is sharp edges on the shovels and tails but that's my hang up w/ my particular style. Many LOVE the full tuning effect of sharp shovels and tails. I solve that by carrying a gummy stone when demoing starting out on a new set. That takes away 80-90% of the issues ... again for my pitiful style... if you can even call it that! :beercheer:

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
There are 2 camps. Ones that are willing to adapt their style to something different and enjoy the qualities it brings, and those who absolutely won't even think about it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll tread lightly as to the Enforcers as I haven't skied the new/current 100. But the original flat tail 100 which I guess is the prior gen is one of the best skis ever made in my book. Changing them for the better is a tall order. As they expanded the Enforcer line I tried the 93-s and 104-s and eventually decided, apart from not skiing like the original flat tail 100, they just weren't at the same level.

The Head Titan in the Supershape line is another really versatile ski that lost that versatility ever since they went with the hammerhead design around 4-5 years ago. The older version was a favorite of the pro sheet teaching crowd. I loved it in 3D up to a half a foot or so and it carved well. I know they reshuffled things and perhaps the Monsters became that ski.

Overall however skis have been getting better and better, notwithstanding certain exceptions.
I am not sure you read this about the new Enforcer. It is a better ski, for me, I always found the 177 too be a bit short and the 185 a bit long, the new 179 is much better, for me. I agree with you regarding the last iRally being less versitle than the old one and having more hard snow purpose. The new eRally, is a better compromise, it is back to being good in mixed conditions but still better on piste.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure you read this about the new Enforcer. It is a better ski, for me, I always found the 177 too be a bit short and the 185 a bit long, the new 179 is much better, for me. I agree with you regarding the last iRally being less versitle than the old one and having more hard snow purpose. The new eRally, is a better compromise, it is back to being good in mixed conditions but still better on piste.
That’s great to hear about the iRally. After I retired my Titans from the front lines they became my rock skis. Early season with 4-6” they’re the ones I’ve been on and they’ve helped make for some really satisfying days. But at this point their life is winding down. Have the current Titans had versatility added back as well?

Good that they’ve made positive changes to the E100. Probably not easy to improve on something that good.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I replaced my Volkl RTM 81s with Deacon 80s last year and, to be honest, I prefer the RTMs. I'm going to be selling one of the two this year at a ski swap and I'm hard-pressed deciding which should go. But my "go-to" skis are the Rossignol Experience 83's I bought in 2013. When I last took them to be tuned, the pro told me that when Rossi ditched the 83's and replaced them with the Experience 84's the ski was never quite the same. I think that maybe the reason I like the Rossis so much is that I've skied them for so many seasons that I simply trust them so much.
Loved those E83 in 184 cm as they were the first ski I bought once I started taking lessons and slowly got better. After three seasons I was overpowering them (6'6", 235 lb at the time) so I moved on to stiffer skis. I never did demo the E84 but liked both the E88 Ti and E94 Ti as I was starting to explore the ungroomed more, which was part of their intent. But I did not like the RTM that I demoed that same day. I think those were in the full rocker days. Bleh...

There are 2 camps. Ones that are willing to adapt their style to something different and enjoy the qualities it brings, and those who absolutely won't even think about it.
Yep, put me in the former camp. In fact, I have skis that require different styles in my quiver.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The most common hiccup for me is sharp edges on the shovels and tails but that's my hang up w/ my particular style. Many LOVE the full tuning effect of sharp shovels and tails. I solve that by carrying a gummy stone when demoing starting out on a new set. That takes away 80-90% of the issues ... again for my pitiful style... if you can even call it that! :beercheer:
Don't let them see you detuning the demo skis LOL!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure you read this about the new Enforcer. It is a better ski, for me, I always found the 177 too be a bit short and the 185 a bit long, the new 179 is much better, for me.
Ugh. I hate that they changed the sizing of the Enforcer/Santa Ana. The 169s were PERFECT, for me. Now the 165 is a bit too short, and the 172 a bit too long, for me.

So to answer the original question at hand...Santa Ana 100, circa 2019. ::insert heart emoji here::

They took an awesome ski and made it even better in 2019 by adding two sheets of titanal. Then in a years time they removed a sheet of metal and the extra oomph went with it. Now they've gone and changed the sizing too...ugh.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ignore my earlier post as to the iRally and the above, which you can’t because you’ve probably already read it. Anyways, I found the review of the 2022 eRally with Kevin’s comments and Marko’s input. I think I get it in fact Marko answered my question directly, the eRally is what I should be looking at in terms of replacing my Titans. Thanks, all of you!

Blizzboy283

Booting up
Skier
I could agree with you on these two thoughts, but then we both would be wrong. ;)

Yes the old Kedno and the new one ARE different skisbut IMHO, the addition of the 3D sidecut makes the new one significantly better, as it has done with every ski it has been added to.

As far as the Pinnacles? I would agree with you if you said the Pinnacles were better than any of the Rossi 7 series but the Mindbender? Again IMHO, the Mindbenders are becoming some of the reference skis in their respective 90/98/108 categories.

Agree to disagree?

Yes, there are a few skis from the 2000's that could be considered as good today as they were then, off the top of my head...
  • Kastle MX83,88,98
  • Blossom Whiteout and all of it's 124/77/110 variations
  • Early Nordica Enforcers
  • Volant Spatula
  • Head Monster vatiation
  • Blizzard Magnum 8.7
This post saved me from ordering replacements for my magnum 8.7’s as I haven’t skied the last two years and are hoping to hit it hard again this year.

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Kastle MX78 from 2011-1016. My pink unicorn ski for hardpack. The only newer model I skied that bettered the MXes in some way was the now redesigned Fischer Curv GT.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I had a pair of Volants that was the best crud ski I have ever owned.

I was a big fan of the Volant Machete series skis (Sin, Soul, FB). Nothing I've skied since is able to duplicate the feel of those metal beauties. Of course, they were also the skis that gave me my first taste of rocker/early tip rise; although not part of the original ski design! They liked to bend and sometimes stay that way... ;)

Sponsor

Staff online