• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Off Season Plans - Spring/Summer/Fall of 2019

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm not done skiing yet but for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to the off season. Now that we have somewhere to stay I'm looking forward to fully embracing myself in all things that Vermont has to offer.

Weekly Londonerry farmers market
4th of July Londonderry town parade with the town fireworks happening at Magic. Party in quad at condo!

Getting into down hill mountain biking
Hiking
DIsc golf
Kayaking
mini golf at bromley

I may actually take up big girl golf as there's a couple courses close by

Attending a beer festival or two, hitting some breweries.

A few concerts (Kiss, Buckcherry) and some music festival in upstate NY in July with our Bromley friends

My SO plans to catch up on sleep. Our friend Jen is buying a condo in our building so looking forward to lots of outdoor stuff with her, her hubby and their dogs.

Doing some stuff to the condo, mainly replacing some furniture, getting sleeper sofa, new bed, etc.

What are your off season plans?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The spring boy scout region wide weekend event's going with a Monty Python theme. Gonna be a lot of fun.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
RMNP in the end of July/early August. Maybe pick up a job at a mine in Imlay, NV for a few months. If I did that it would really cut into late season skiing though, so...

I really want to pick up a nice mountain bike and ride this summer. There are so many good places around Reno to ride it's just silly that I don't already do it.

Maybe raft down the Truckee once the flow calms down in the later summer.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
We have at least 4 months left of skiing here...more if Mammoth stays open into August...or further. Haven't thought about summer plans yet.

Not sure how @Stev would be respond, but who needs patch skiing when you have conditions like that???!!! Unreal how much snow there is in parts of the U.S. Any thoughts on July 4 Pugski meet up in Cali?

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Also not done skiing yet, but still excited for summer activities. For me, that's mostly mountain biking and national parks. This is the year I complete my goal of visiting all of the national parks. Only 6 left (now that friggin' congress just added one in Gary, IN). Starting this weekend at Virgin Islands NP!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1001786_658981267450748_849291155_n.jpg

3 hours away and free parking... Gotta get there before about 11am to find a good parking place though..

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
1001786_658981267450748_849291155_n.jpg

3 hours away and free parking... Gotta get there before about 11am to find a good parking place though..

We have this place in Newport Rhode island we love. However, instead of a parking lot we park at this dive bar and they let you park for the day if you have a beer/eat lunch ok if I must. It's right across the street from second beach so perfect location.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
This is the year I complete my goal of visiting all of the national parks. Only 6 left

:golfclap: That's quite an accomplishment!

I got the CO state parks pass this year. Looking at the list and descriptions, I'm not convinced it's worth my time to check the "Visited All" box, but it gives me some reasons to go places I might not have considered otherwise and the opportunity to stumble onto some interesting things.

The National Park list? Oh, yeah, "Visited All" is one of my goals. I'll pick up the passport book or something similar this year to start tracking them.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
How long did that take? That's impressive!

Had visited a few over the years (Saguaro, Acadia, Haleakala, and Badlands) prior to really catching the bug at Yellowstone in 2014. Hit 50 more over the past 5 (very busy and dedicated) years. My record was 29 in one year, with a few over repeats in there. Now all I have left (other than the newly crowned Indiana Dunes NP) are the more remote parks: Gates of the Arctic, Kobuk Valley, Lake Clark (all in AK), Virgin Islands, and American Samoa. All the travel is booked; just have to survive it all. My Alaska run this summer includes 10 flights in 6 days, and I was involved in a small plane crash there last summer on the return from Katmai, so I have a few jitters about all that. First world problems!

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
3387.jpg

We spend a lot of time out on the water. Here my son is setting up for a bottom turn up into the wake to pop off the top. Similar to snow ski pitch pictures the wake is higher and steeper than depicted in the picture.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
:golfclap: That's quite an accomplishment!

I got the CO state parks pass this year. Looking at the list and descriptions, I'm not convinced it's worth my time to check the "Visited All" box, but it gives me some reasons to go places I might not have considered otherwise and the opportunity to stumble onto some interesting things.

The National Park list? Oh, yeah, "Visited All" is one of my goals. I'll pick up the passport book or something similar this year to start tracking them.

Ohhhhhhhh... the NP passport is one of my greatest fails ever. I had 49 NP stamps (as well as bunch of other monuments, historical sites, seashores, etc) when I left it in a hotel room in Key West after visiting Dry Tortugas, never to be seen again. Oh the heartache!!!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Hoping for a quiet summer. Do some hiking with our kids & dog, do more mountain biking this year in the local area, maybe a few rounds of frisbee golf, keep up with physical therapy and continue doing my dissertation research.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Golf, jet ski, fish, yard work, travel to golf, hang by our pool, bike, drink a lot of beer...,repeat

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Leaving for Australia next Sunday then 22 day South Pacific cruise back the Vancouver. Dirt biking after we get back and snow has melted. (me KTM 300 XCW and her Beta EVO 200 trials bike). Off to Nimpkish northern Vancouver Island in the RV for the month of July and windsurf then back for wife's Dragon Boat events
NimpkishLake3-BradJohnson.jpg

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Paddle boarding, paddle surfing, river paddling and lots of biking.

Lucky to live in a state with abundant fresh water to play in!

What is paddle surfing? I've played around with a SUP surfing behind our boat. Definitely need a much BIGGER wave to make it challenging though.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
What is paddle surfing? I've played around with a SUP surfing behind our boat. Definitely need a much BIGGER wave to make it challenging though.

Similar to what you are doing, but you need a ocean or great lake to get the waves needed. It's simply surfing with a SUP instead of paddling out by hand. The displacement/all around boards or surfing specific ones work best for surfing.

I already got out twice for flatwater, this was day one of 2019. The iceberg was nice and stable, but paddled like a bank vault. :D

GRSUP.jpg

Sponsor