• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Off the beaten path ski shops

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Peter Glenn has several locations in FL and one in Atlanta.

They usually have some killer ski related deals in the spring & summer.

They also sell skis and apparel to people that live in South America or go to ski there that travel through Miami. It's kind of funny to see people at the MIA airport checking in skis in July/August when it's 95F outside.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...if you are looking for an out of the way sorta ski shop then there is Bill Jackson's in Pinellas Park, FL

Ski deck. In our seasonal Ski Shop, we have a rotating carpeted slope, where we offer ski lessons.

IMG_0765.jpg

I like the sign on the bottom, "Family owned and operated since 1946". Bet they sold WWII 10th Mountain Division surplus back in the day; among my first skis...not much attention paid to little tyke's ski sizing!

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Tanabe Sports in Osaka. It’s pretty far from any ski resorts, but it makes up for it by having 4 floors of gear.

Attachments

• 1E7C33E0-7047-41F9-B518-A295A7C69A0A.jpeg
    1E7C33E0-7047-41F9-B518-A295A7C69A0A.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 12

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes. They seem to have expanded some. Nothing real big.
Not far away right off 22 in Dover Plains they built a $1.6billion power plant. Cricket Valley Energy Center. Just opened.

Keep driving past Red Rooster north on 22 and stop at Big W's BBQ in Dover Plains - really, really good!

James

Out There
Instructor
Keep driving past Red Rooster north on 22 and stop at Big W's BBQ in Dover Plains - really, really good!
Thanks. Usually too mesmerized by the Cuckoos Nest on the other side.
Imagine going to a college in a former state psychiatric hospital.

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was told that Crickett Valley and the new powerplant west on Rt. 84 near exit 3 were needed to replace the power lost by closing Indian Point.

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ski Haus in Brewster, NY on 22. Ten minutes from Thunder Ridge, the ski area formerly known as Big Birch. I can’t remember the last time I went in, but it’s been there forever.

View attachment 108215
I live about 10 minutes from Ski Haus in Brewster. They have knowledgeable staff and great selection. I've lived in the area for 32 years and it was here when I got here.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I don't remember the name, but decades ago there was a ski/tennis shop in Toronto where I bought my first pair of plastic boots (I told you it was long ago), sold to me by the partner who was the tennis expert. It turned out that the ski guy taught the tennis guy to fit ski boots so the ski guy could be out on the slopes skiing with customers. And in summer the tennis guy was out on court while the ski guy was at the shop stringing and selling tennis rackets. :thumb: :thumb:

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s on the well trodden path to Killington, so not obscure.
Peak Performance ski shop has just changed hands. Fred Coriell, who owned it for decades, died a couple years ago. Great guy, had a hand in many, many junior racers in the area. He was always interested to hear how they were doing years later.
Hoping the new owners keep up the quality.
—————
The new owners of Peak Performance are Kelly and Randy Bair, who moved to Killington a year and a half ago. They previously resided in New Jersey.

Randy works in corporate finance and Kelly performs market research. They have been visiting Killington for nearly 20 years and have taught both of their children, Isabel,11, and Oliver, 7, to ski on the mountain as well instructed for the resort at various times. They’re members of the Killington Ski Club with both children participating in the Alpine program. It was that experience that ultimately led the Bairs to Peak Performance as customers — a relationship that began close to five years ago.
——————

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Somebody should do ski shop/brewery. Would be a marvelous way to break down buyer resistance.
For a minute I thought I was reading the joke thread.

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s a good idea. There is the license part though. You also need some food. People hungry don’t buy unless in a grocery store.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alpine Ski Racing in Mt. Hood, Oregon. Halfway between Hood River and Mt. Hood Meadows ski area.

Owned and staffed by a former world cup boot fitter and ski tuner. Great guy. Stock almost completely limited to racing skis, boots, wax, etc.

Hauls everything up to Government Camp on Mt. Hood in the summer, and tunes skis for the kids racing camps every day, until the wee hours of the morning.

I think you mean Mt Hood Alpine Racing Center (Mt Hood ARC) Bob Olsen owner. http://www.mthoodarc.com/

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I live about 10 minutes from Ski Haus in Brewster. They have knowledgeable staff and great selection. I've lived in the area for 32 years and it was here when I got here.

I was astonished when I bought bindings there and they charged me $75 to mount them on the skis I already owned. :(

Should have gone to Potter Brothers, 1/2 hour away. It would have been free.

Disclaimer: I just got a weekend job at Potter Bros.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always considered Salters Ski Shop in Eagleville Pa one of those off the beaten path shops. Salters was a small family owned shop in the outskirts of the Philly suburbs. George specialized in bootfitting and sold a handful of skis.
"Was" being the operative word, since they have been absorbed into the Buckmans universe. Seems they're quickly becoming the only game in town for a lot of people in the SE PA area

Sponsor