• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2022 National Gathering at Aspen-Snowmass - February 26 - March 5, 2022

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Yet another great gathering week (gushing), especially after the plague year. Great to see and ski with friends I've made and add a few more to the list. Thanks to all for sharing their enthusiasm and encouragement. And thanks to Meister @dbostedo

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s very strange today to sleep in and not meet everyone at a meeting place.

It’s been an amazing week with great company. After a few runs with the larger group at Snowmass yesterday, @Rainbow Jenny and I did a couple different top to bottom runs (High Alpine to village and Cirque to village).

A couple of 4,000 vertical runs each, and then spent the afternoon skiing until almost, but not quite, last chair.

I finally got really tired, where I wasn’t deliberately looking for bump runs, after 6 days of skiing.

But wait! There’s more….. I plan to spend a few hours at Buttermilk this morning, before hot springs in Glenwood this afternoon, and spend a few nights in Frisco. I will be at Copper on Sunday and Monday in case anyone is free to join me.

Safe travels home, everyone, and ‘till next year.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
This was my first gathering, and I really enjoyed finally meeting and skiing with everyone. Thanks so much for organizing and including me last minute, skiing Highlands and Ajax with the group was a blast. Hoping to be able to join next year's gathering too!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll second what they said. It was wonderful to ski with so many of you after all this time. And I love Aspen!

Ditto. I've lived in CO for over 20 years and never skied Snowmass or Aspen Highlands. I literally had no idea what I was missing. These are fantastic mountains and I'm glad I got to experience them with the SkiTalk crew. It was a special week. Thanks to all and I hope to share turns again with you soon...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Couldn’t connect today till quitting time. But I half expected that as Snowmass is a huge place where people spread way out.
checked Gwynn’s/high alpine twice around 1:15- no one.
Did meet up and skied all day with Lonnie from Mammoth who I and a member not on pugski now have skied with at Mammoth. Got reacquainted. He’s not on the trip but met us at Highlands for beer on Wednesday. He’s one heck of a skier and a nice guy. I suggested he join skitalk/pugski.
our best run was headwall Cirque off the Poma at 2:30
The inevitability of this match-up cannot be exaggerated.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, by the time I acquired my car rental, drove back to Snowmass to check out and drove to Buttermilk, the parking lot was full.

So I drove to Sunlight, arriving around 12:30 and got a half day ticket. They had 10” of powder and the cut up pow was a nice treat after a week of sunshine and groomers. Great local area, fun vibe, except for the dude in the parking lot who apparently wanted the Cloud 9 experience at a family-friendly local resort and had his pass pulled.

I only took time for one pic, this is Zephyr IIRC.
385BDD96-B0D4-4FB8-8DFD-188526452DC9.jpeg

Iron Mountain Hot Springs was an excellent end to the afternoon.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This was my second Gathering after attending a few days at Big Sky. It was great seeing both familiar and new faces and I had a great time skiing with all of you. I’m looking forward to attending again in the future. Next year I’m taking my son to Alta for his high school graduation gift and staying at GMD. Given the now TBD nature of the 2023 Gathering I may miss next year’s but I’ll definitely be there in 2024.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun to return to this gathering after a 5 year absence, hanging with old friends and meeting new ones. Thanks to @David Chaus, I checked off the most important to-do yesterday: a gooey cookie at Up 4 Pizza.

Hiking the Highland Peak ridgeline continues to be a major highlight for me, but laps of nonstop 4-5 mile medium and short radius turns on Snowmass groomers were quite satisfying.

I still suck in bumps but realize skiing is a lifelong pursuit, not unlike Don Quixote tilting at the windmills.

Incredible trip and week, thanks to Weegie & family for letting me tag along.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I landed at Logan tonight and it's 63 degrees and had rained. Why do I live here again? I'm glad to be home but after wonderful conditions in Aspen this is tough to take.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I landed at Logan tonight and it's 63 degrees and had rained. Why do I live here again? I'm glad to be home but after wonderful conditions in Aspen this is tough to take.
...and I look at opensnow for Sugarbush to see how bad the damage is...

There is frigging FLOOD WATCH!!!!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I saw that too. :nono:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Depressing. How long before March becomes a coin-flip for skiing in NE…

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do La Nina winters historically treat New England, especially northern New England?

I thought not great - a bit wetter and warmer - greater chances of warmups - but cold not too far away?

Edit: this showed up on my inbox and I thought it was New England thread ...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, now that we've expressed our New England frustrations let's not muck up the Aspen memories any further in this thread.
Yes, and I wasn't even there/just like the stoke.....lol.

Don't turn it into the....my once favorite, now depressing UT thread.:)

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, and I wasn't even there/just like the stoke.....lol.

Don't turn it into the....my once favorite, now depressing UT thread.:)

Heeeeey - Elk skied phenomenally well on Friday, and only slightly less well on Saturday.

Yesterday was... umm... slushy. Great for working on a tan.

And now Utah is getting some good snow from this current system.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got a trip report posted for Aspen...