• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2022 National Gathering at Aspen-Snowmass - February 26 - March 5, 2022

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you recall, the SLC gatherings always have big turnouts. That should be a factor in what goes into the rotation.
Yes they do. I think the last one was Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin and while I didn't attend I seem to remember there were around 100 people on the roll call. Besides LCC and Snowbasin I'm sure some people also hit Solitude and Brighton as well. Staying at the base of the canyons is perfect and certainly less money so it's really attractive for someone like me who likes to hit a lot of different resorts on a trip. That's what we did last trip but had to deal with that horrendous traffic a couple days. My first trip to Utah was AltaBird only and I stayed at GMD, which was fantastic but meant I didn't make it up BCC.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, if it's truly just Alta-Bird then people could get lodging at either resort and avoid the traffic. Take a shuttle from the airport and you don't have to worry about the rental at all. Not as cheap as staying at the base of the canyons, though.
Staying in the canyon is wonderful - I've done it twice - but is generally WAY more expensive than, for example, sharing one of the abundant condos in the general area of Cottonwood Heights. Probably would put the gathering out of reach for me unless I cut way back on other trips.

The last Gathering in UT we spent a couple days each at Snowbasin, Snowbird and Alta. Personally I’d like to do a day at Solitude and/or Brighton, as well as a day at Deer Valley since they’re all on Ikon.
Don't happen to agree. There is just SO much amazing skiing at AltaBird that I don't want to "waste" time elsewhere. I have had lovely days at Brighton and (especially) Solitude. They are very nice ski areas. If I skied more than one week every couple of years at AltaBird it would be different.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Looks like I'll be hitting Tahoe the week before the Gathering. Any intel on the road US-50 through Ely, NV? The map apps call out the I-80 to SLC-Provo_I-70 as about a half hour faster, but I-80 from Reno to SLC is about the most boring road in the Western US.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I'll be hitting Tahoe the week before the Gathering. Any intel on the road US-50 through Ely, NV? The map apps call out the I-80 to SLC-Provo_I-70 as about a half hour faster, but I-80 from Reno to SLC is about the most boring road in the Western US.
I would prefer to drive on that stretch of I-80 in the winter. That stretch of US-50 is desolate in summer. Not sure what it would be like in winter. Would be a cool drive, though. If you do it, I’d be interested to hear how it was.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally prefer US50 but have never done it in the winter. Would probably avoid if significant change of weather or snow on the road. Pretty desolate in places.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
While the distance is shorter and time not much longer according to Google maps, you'd be substituting what you call "about the most boring road in the Western US" for what Life magazine in 1986 called "The Loneliest Road in America" and I don't think much has changed on the route. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada for some details which includes the 17 passes crossing NV and includes "The name was intended as a pejorative, but Nevada officials seized it as a marketing slogan. The name originates from large desolate areas traversed by the route, with few or no signs of civilization". While you'd probably miss 7,146' Spooner Summit leaving Tahoe Basin and some of the passes are minor, there are 7 passes over 7K starting with Austin Summit less than halfway across NV.

If you take US-50 during the winter (or probably anytime), you'd want to drive it during the day. Using I-80 on more than one trip, I've been able to ski more than 1/2 of the day in UT or Tahoe and the next day at Tahoe or UT. So if you want to give up a ski day and weather continues as it has so far in 2022, maybe you could try US-50. But if you don't want to lose a ski day, take I-80 and drive across at least part of NV at night. My plan on way to Gathering is ski Palisades two days, Deer Valley until noon or so the next day, pickup my wife at HDN at 5 PM and ski Steamboat the next two days, then Copper, then either Sunlight or a day off on Sat. 2/26.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Gathering is a little over 5 weeks away but this thread is relatively quiet. Maybe chatter will pick up in a few weeks? Are people hesitant due to Omicron?

@dbostedo do we have a schedule yet for what mountain on a given day? Snowmass in Sunday, right?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo do we have a schedule yet for what mountain on a given day? Snowmass in Sunday, right?

Schedule posted in the opening post:

Sunday, February 27 - Snowmass
Monday, February 28 - Highlands
Tuesday, March 1 - Ajax
Wednesday, March 2 - Highlands
Thursday, March 3 - Ajax

Friday, March 4 - Snowmass

This will accommodate the few requests we had, and hit all three primary mountains the first three days.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tuesday, March 1 - Ajax
Thursday, March 3 - Ajax

This will accommodate the few requests we had, and hit all three primary mountains the first three days.

But, but, but, I thought we were doing Buttermilk. :ogbiggrin:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
But, but, but, I thought we were doing Buttermilk.
Powder skiing tip: If it snows overnight all the powder hounds go to Ajax or Highlands, leaving Snowmass to deliver pow turns all morning, while the 4 easy black runs at Buttermilk deliver untracked powder all day. Those runs, don't get groomed, don't grow moguls, and if SkiTalkers don't go there on a pow day there won't be anyone skiing those runs, so you could likely go there the day after a storm and get pow turns. :ogbiggrin:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Powder skiing tip: If it snows overnight all the powder hounds go to Ajax or Highlands, leaving Snowmass to deliver pow turns all morning, while the 4 easy black runs at Buttermilk deliver untracked powder all day. Those runs, don't get groomed, don't grow moguls, and if SkiTalkers don't go there on a pow day there won't be anyone skiing those runs, so you could likely go there the day after a storm and get pow turns. :ogbiggrin:
Untracked powder all day? Mmmmmmmm

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Tuesday, March 1 - Ajax
Thursday, March 3 - Ajax

Schedules and all that are great, but at the same time... the "main draw" for many of Aspen and especially Highlands is Highlands Bowl which I think would be frightening in anything approaching "flat light" conditions.

There should be some room to "call an audible" if say Monday is a storm day and Tuesday is forecast to be bluebird to reverse the order of Ajax and Highlands.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Schedules and all that are great, but at the same time... the "main draw" for many of Aspen and especially Highlands is Highlands Bowl which I think would be frightening in anything approaching "flat light" conditions.

There should be some room to "call an audible" if say Monday is a storm day and Tuesday is forecast to be bluebird to reverse the order of Ajax and Highlands.
I doubt I'll be making the hike up the bowl but nevertheless this makes a lot of sense.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
There is a hike at Snowmass that is suitable for fat old men, off the Elk Camp lift, called Long Shot. It involves a short hike and then a 4 mile long (longer than that because you are not skiing a straight line) Blue run that when @jgiddyup and I did it a few years ago in the afternoon of a powder day in mostly shin deep cut-up pow, it was as much a work out as the hike. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online