• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2022 National Gathering at Aspen-Snowmass - February 26 - March 5, 2022

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
I found Missing chair from Bell Mountain lift returned | News | aspendailynews.com when searching to see how often Bell Mountain chair now runs.

In 2018, snowmaking only went to the top of Bell, not to the top of the gondola, so chair was needed early season. "It also sees heavy use in the early season when there is not enough natural snowfall to open the top of the mountain, because Aspen’s snowmaking system ends near the top of the Bell chair." They had removed a chair temporarily to use a work platform and somebody took the chair. But chair needed to be found and re-installed for lift "to function, due to weighting and balance issues." Story also says "the Bell chair opens mainly on sunny spring weekends." I have fond memories of skiing it in powder during my College ski trips to Aspen, back when Highlands was on a separate ticket.
Looking forward to skiing with you in Aspen, Tony! I was lapping the Bell Mountain lift back in early April. It was in fact, one of those sunny spring weekends.

With enough speed and a few side steps, you can get to the top of Bell by rocketing through the slow zone on Silver Dip. I was with a snowboarder (gasp!) and it was kinda crowded with restrictions on Silver Queen so we just enjoyed lapping the Bell Mountain lift. Kinda old school.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
For those non-Colorado folks who have planned to fly to Denver and drive to Aspen, note that I-70 thru Glenwood Canyon is going to be highly questionable this year. The huge Grizzly Creek fire in summer of 2020 did not cause too much trouble last ski season, but this summer monsoon season's heavy rains have taken a huge toll on the highway and canyon. While CDOT says they expect to have 2 lanes open in a couple of weeks, the prospect for all four lanes open is "Hopefully before ski season". That's if we don't get any more storms. Cold winter storms will be lower risk, but a storm with rain at 6,000 ft elevation is likely to close it (both for predicted rain, or actual mud or avalanche).

Glenwood Canyon epic mud-barf across I-70. Not just mud, significant damage to the road from logs and truck-sized boulders.
Glenwood Canyon I-70 Mudslide 8-2-2021.png

The detour adds about 4 hours travel time to Aspen, north from Silverthorne through Steamboat Springs, making the total drive from Denver about 7 hours ( travel times assume good weather -- for driving, not skiing).
Might be a good idea to fly into Aspen, instead of making the Denver drive, even though Aspen airport has higher risk of flight delays/diversions.
If flying/driving, from Salt Lake, about 6-1/2 hours might be a better option, with Alta/Snowbird, or Deer Valley good Ikon pass side-trips. (just one not-usually-very-gnarly pass, Soldier Summit in Utah)
The southern alternate route, over Monarch pass (and several other passes) is 392 miles from Denver, currently Google maps says 7 hours, 49 minutes. (hmm, it's 9 am, still 4-1/2 hour drive-time to Snowmass. might as well ski powder at Monarch....)
Or, Hey! WP and Steamboat are on Ikon! and good stop-overs along the north detour between Denver and Aspen, in addition to Copper, which is still sort-of along the way (for either north or south detour).

Consider flying to Montrose, now called Montrose/Telluride (MTJ) with plenty of mainline flights in the winter from "Back East" as we call it. JetBlue, United, American and Southwest non-stop from Boston !!! NYC, Charlotte, Chicago, DFW, Houston, in winter 2020/2021, there may be more options this year. It's about a 3-hour drive Montrose to Aspen, easier/shorter than from Denver even if I-70 is open, 2 routes (a shorter, twisty fair-weather route goes over McClure pass, or thru Grand Jct. in stormy weather-- many more miles, but better/faster roads, no passes)
Note: It's 1-1/2 hours to Telluride or CB from MTJ, both are Epic Pass resorts and out-of-the-way for also getting to Aspen (I strenuously resist calling them Epic resorts, although both can be very nice.... if you can ski multiple ski galaxies in one season)
Hmmm, could also fly in to Hayden/Steamboat.... but would still be a long drive from there to Aspen.

Last time I got on an airplane to go skiing, it was on Southwest, PHX to Albuquerque, over 25 years ago (to Ski Taos and other NM ski areas). so be careful who your internet "expert" is......

Flying to Grand Jct. is another option (GJT, regional jet connect from DFW, PHX, SLC or DEN, very often extra $) , 2 hours to Aspen/Snowmass.
Flying to Eagle (EGE) to get to Aspen/Snowmass is a Bad Idea this season, it's on the wrong side of Glenwood Canyon, and too close to the crowded Epic vortex of BC/Vail.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I’ve been following the news on this. Must be devastating for locals and businesses everywhere from Glennwood up the Roaring Fork Valley.

I’m flying into ASE; I’m renting a car after the Gathering and driving to Frisco for a few days at Copper. It could be a long drive. Maybe I’ll add a day at Steamboat on the way if I have to take the long way around.

FWIW flying in/out Hayden (Steamboat) could be a safe bet, as it’s pretty flat and open where the airport is, and a 3 hour drive (give or take) to Snowmass. When I was at Steamboat I met some people who normally ski at Aspen but also took the occasional long day trips to Steamboat. Not sure how common that is.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider flying to Montrose, now called Montrose/Telluride (MTJ) with plenty of mainline flights in the winter from "Back East" as we call it. JetBlue, United, American and Southwest non-stop from Boston !!!
I see no evidence of non-stop Southwest flights from Boston. Do you have a link?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I see no evidence of non-stop Southwest flights from Boston. Do you have a link?
Hard to guess what next year is going to be like, and SW hasn't really published winter schedule yet.
Here's some evidence from prior years, when there were some non-stop flights. (The official airport website only has the summer schedule).

https://www.visitmontrose.com/plan/montrose-regional-airport/

Winter_Flight_Schedule_dd0d30d9-f696-45c8-9778-0a2e6c24fd4b.jpg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to guess what next year is going to be like, and SW hasn't really published winter schedule yet.
Here's some evidence from prior years, when there were some non-stop flights. (The official airport website only has the summer schedule).

https://www.visitmontrose.com/plan/montrose-regional-airport/

Winter_Flight_Schedule_dd0d30d9-f696-45c8-9778-0a2e6c24fd4b.jpg
According to that map, only JetBlue flies (apparently) non-stop from Boston. Right now on the JetBlue site there are no bookable flights from Boston to Montrose on any day in any month at any time. It's possible that they run that flight only in winter and haven't published it yet, as you say about Southwest. (At least Southwest TELLS you that they just haven't published the info yet.) I'm quite certain that Southwest does not fly nonstop from Boston. The map above confirms it.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
According to that map, only JetBlue flies (apparently) non-stop from Boston. Right now on the JetBlue site there are no bookable flights from Boston to Montrose on any day in any month at any time. It's possible that they run that flight only in winter and haven't published them yet, as you say about Southwest. (At least Southwest TELLS you that they just haven't published the info yet.) I'm quite certain that Southwest does not fly nonstop from Boston. the map above confirms it.
From some of the google results that I saw (but didn't click on) when looking for that, I think some of those routes got cancelled at the height of the pandemic. The airlines may not have even decided what to do next winter, let alone announced it.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that the airlines likely haven't figured it out and given the lingering impact of COVID and its variants I don't think historical precedents will be as good an indicator as past years.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A I'm quite certain that Southwest does not fly nonstop from Boston. The map above confirms it.

I believe Southwest published flight info thru Jan 1, 2022 in June. I'm pretty sure, as of right now, if you are flying from Boston on Southwest to Montrose you need to go thru Denver or Dallas. Also need to keep in mind flights are only available on a limited schedule into Montrose, not everyday, at least thru Jan. 1st.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
One option may be flying via Salt Lake City, about 6 hrs to Aspen. Did that drive once, not much to worry about. Much will change in coming months, old Tom Petty line. "most of the things I worry about, never happen".t.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do they still close Co82 Independence pass in the winter?
Yes. Typically closes in early November and opens around Memorial Day.

There are public reports of 2 lanes being opened this weekend. That said, "someone who knows things about CDOT" told me earlier this week that there is significant structural damage to the west bound deck. "Opening even 1 lane on the west bound desk by Thanksgiving is a possibility". So if there is an opening this weekend it will likely be on the east bound side.

As a former east coaster, if I were attending the Aspen Gathering I'd fly into SLC and make the drive east over flying into Denver and driving west.

just my 2 cents

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One option may be flying via Salt Lake City, about 6 hrs to Aspen. Did that drive once, not much to worry about. Much will change in coming months, old Tom Petty line. "most of the things I worry about, never happen".t.

Unfortunately that will add $300 to my flight, another $100 + to a car rental, and a couple of hours more drive time (and gas) than flying int Denver, assuming the road is open. Is there any news on the status of the road fix?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately that will add $300 to my flight, another $100 + to a car rental, and a couple of hours more drive time (and gas) than flying int Denver, assuming the road is open. Is there any news on the status of the road fix?
Following.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor