• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2022 National Gathering at Aspen-Snowmass - February 26 - March 5, 2022

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Done. You might include “Aspen” and maybe “Snowmass” in the updated title, though, as it refers to “National” Gathering. I mean we all know it’s as Aspen, but still…

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, the NE Gathering is open to anyone, including those from Utah and CO. They never show up though for some reason.
You know, I have been checking that thread, and the discussion of conditions is nudging me towards never ever wanting to ski in NE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
You know, I have been checking that thread, and the discussion of conditions is nudging me towards never ever wanting to ski in NE.
Way back in the late 60s there was an entertainer from NYC who spent a winter featured at a bar in Wilmington VT. near Mount Snow. He wrote a song called: "Vermont; It's a Poor Man's Colorado". He pretty much nailed it.

theNitza

Justin
Skier
Does anyone remember the route of the RFTA 4 Mountain Connector or have last years schedule saved? They currently don't have it on their website. I think my plan will be to stay in Snowmass Village, but I want to be sure to have easy access to the bus for travel to the other mountains. I'm looking at lodging along Carriage way, across from all the parking lots. I see bus stops all along it in Google Earth, but don't see a way to find out if it's for the 4 Mountain Connector.

I'm also looking for suggestions for traveling between Steamboat and Aspen after the gathering. Flying seems silly, but I don't see any shuttle services between the two resorts. As a last resort, I figure I can rent a car.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone remember the route of the RFTA 4 Mountain Connector or have last years schedule saved? They currently don't have it on their website. I think my plan will be to stay in Snowmass Village, but I want to be sure to have easy access to the bus for travel to the other mountains. I'm looking at lodging along Carriage way, across from all the parking lots. I see bus stops all along it in Google Earth, but don't see a way to find out if it's for the 4 Mountain Connector.

I'm also looking for suggestions for traveling between Steamboat and Aspen after the gathering. Flying seems silly, but I don't see any shuttle services between the two resorts. As a last resort, I figure I can rent a car.
No issues at all with getting a bus from anywhere in the the Snowmass village area to the other mountains. The busses to Ajax, Buttermilk, and Highlands don't stop at every stop on Carriage Way, but there will be one not too far away.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Podoloki Lodge is just below the Snowmass bus terminal, so that might help you figure out where to book a room close to the bus.

Aspen's bus system is confusing, especially to a newbie but it is very efficient and well run. From most locations in the Roaring Fork Valley, you really can get there from here by bus.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I think I have an old brochure from the last Aspen Gathering with all the routes. I'll look later.

James

Out There
Instructor
Podoloki Lodge is just below the Snowmass bus terminal,
Pokolodi.
The lodge where I passed out and got sick, then my roomate got us the airport shuttle to the hospital ER. After we picked someone up at the airport. Vaguely remember that part as I’m lying across two seats. I remember the cold air as the door opened.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pokolodi.
The lodge where I passed out and got sick, then my roomate got us the airport shuttle to the hospital ER. After we picked someone up at the airport. Vaguely remember that part as I’m lying across two seats. I remember the cold air as the door opened.
Yikes. Not the best memory.

Bus system rocks. I rarely drive to Aspen. Busses leave every 15 minutes from the mall to Aspen. There are some Highlands and Buttermilk express routes.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been to Aspen 3 times and I've never rented a car. in fact, the last time we were there we took the free bus back to the airport instead of getting a cab. I've never stayed near a bus stop (as opposed to a terminal) but it should work.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
A very fun thing to do is dinner at Pine Creek Cookhouse. You can snowshoe, x-country ski or take the sleigh to dinner. It would be a blast to have a group dinner. Pricey but fun.

If any ladies are interested in a clinic, we could likely book Annie Black or others for a day.

James

Out There
Instructor
I've been to Aspen 3 times and I've never rented a car. in fact, the last time we were there we took the free bus back to the airport instead of getting a cab. I've never stayed near a bus stop (as opposed to a terminal) but it should work.
Agreed. Buses are very good.
Only once with a car, but that was Cheyene - Steamboat ( somewhat hellish w/snow at night in a rental) - Aspen Highlands- Dillon -Denver DIA. One night in Steamboat, couple hours in a parking lot.
But if one wants to say go to Aspen at odd hours it might make sense.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some updated details posted in the first post....

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know how the drive from Carbondale is? I have no idea if we can make this work, especially without some weekend days in the mix, but we're tossing it around. We have to keep lodging costs down, though.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably about a 30-35 minute drive from Carbondale. There are busses if you do not want to drive.

Many Skico employees and regular skiers do the commute.

If you are going into Aspen, there can be traffic depending on the time.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have stayed in Carbondale and we have stayed in Basalt. We tended to time our drives to avoid the worst of traffic and were successful in doing so. While I love staying mountain-side, Carbondale is a great option.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January