• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2022 National Gathering at Aspen-Snowmass - February 26 - March 5, 2022

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to line up airfare and a car and last Gathering I flew into Denver and rented a car. A Corolla will cost me almost $600, flight to/from Denver $300 and then gas and a long drive, last time in sketchy conditions. A flight to Aspen can be had from here for under $800. I found a place on the bus route so I won't even have to drive anywhere. Does the bus route stop at the airport or would that require a short shuttle?

$800 is by far the most I've spent on airfare anywhere, but it makes sense for this trip. I've got some miles to offset the cost also.

From the Aspen AIrport website:

Public Transportation

Bus service provided by RFTA is free into Aspen and Snowmass. Fares apply for all stops north past the Brush Creek Intercept Lot. Follow the signs at the Baggage Claim exit. The Information Booth in Baggage Claim can provide schedules and local bus information.

And you can look at:

for routes.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bus routes (plural), many of which stop at the airport. If you’re staying near Snowmass you’ll transfer to another bus, if near Aspen possibly not.

I’ll have enough gear with me that I’d rather not schlep with it all on buses so will probably take a taxi or Uber/Lyft.

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Trying to line up airfare and a car and last Gathering I flew into Denver and rented a car. A Corolla will cost me almost $600, flight to/from Denver $300 and then gas and a long drive, last time in sketchy conditions. A flight to Aspen can be had from here for under $800. I found a place on the bus route so I won't even have to drive anywhere. Does the bus route stop at the airport or would that require a short shuttle?

$800 is by far the most I've spent on airfare anywhere, but it makes sense for this trip. I've got some miles to offset the cost also.
May I suggest:
1) Fly into DIA, get a 1-day one-way rental, pick up at DIA, drop off at ASE.
2) When you get to Aspen, drop off luggage at your place 1st, then return car to ASE, take bus back to your place.
3) On your last day (or the night prior), get another 1-day one-way rental, take bus to pick up rental at ASE, the drop off at DIA.
I did an one way rental from Aspen to Denver 1st time I went. One way rental was cheaper than the cost of shuttle. It also allowed me to ski full day and drove back to DIA for red eye flight. If I were taken shuttle, I had to take noon/ 2pm shuttle for 8 pm flight home.... Basically, rental offers more flexibility. I don't know what is the cost for one way car rental now.... Price fluctuates quite a bit.

You don't really need car in Aspen, bus will do.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's beginning to look like winter... snow about ~8500 feet...

Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk from a few minutes ago...
1636071070486.png

Elk Camp at Snowmass..
1636071188789.png

Last edited:

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just checked into if anyone has leads on affordable lodging for this trip. I looked back at some of the recommendations from last time and had a bit of sticker shock. The Tyrolean has doubled from 5 years ago

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I took the bus from Snowmass (the transit center in the garage under the base) to the airport at the last Gathering. I'll probably get a cab/lyft when I arrive, just because somehow that direction seems more daunting.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have my flights direct to Aspen, but it is sounding like there might be enough coming in to Denver to think about carpooling.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just checked into if anyone has leads on affordable lodging for this trip. I looked back at some of the recommendations from last time and had a bit of sticker shock. The Tyrolean has doubled from 5 years ago
Carbondale. Basalt.

Seriously, I booked a condo at Snowmass as soon as the Gathering dates were tentatively set, after doing my typical obsessive research. Affordable becomes a relative term. Accommodation were expensive enough at that point and things have only gotten pricier since then.

Maybe try to find someone who has accommodations with extra room.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Carbondale. Basalt.

Seriously, I booked a condo at Snowmass as soon as the Gathering dates were tentatively set, after doing my typical obsessive research. Affordable becomes a relative term. Accommodation were expensive enough at that point and things have only gotten pricier since then.

Maybe try to find someone who has accommodations with extra room.
It's a big challenge, for sure. The one time I was there, six years ago, you really didn't want to be trying to DRIVE to the ski areas, due to traffic and parking constraints. You wanted to be taking the bus, as I think others have said.

Now the LOCAL bus system between Aspen and Snowmass was great at that time. But I have no idea how good the service is from down valley (Basalt, Carbondale). And obviously it depends on exactly where you stay relative to the bus routes. Maybe it's a "drive to the ParknRide" situation.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a big challenge, for sure. The one time I was there, six years ago, you really didn't want to be trying to DRIVE to the ski areas, due to traffic and parking constraints. You wanted to be taking the bus, as I think others have said.

Now the LOCAL bus system between Aspen and Snowmass was great at that time. But I have no idea how good the service is from down valley (Basalt, Carbondale). And obviously it depends on exactly where you stay relative to the bus routes. Maybe it's a "drive to the ParknRide" situation.
I suppose I should be looking into transportation. I’m used to driving to a resort.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Might check the St. Moritz if you don't mind sharing a small room with a couple others (bunk beds) with the bathroom down the hall. They do have a do it yourself continental breakfast and a pretty nice combo hot tub/pool. Been quite a few years for me, though.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe it's a "drive to the ParknRide" situation
I've heard parking at Buttermilk and then taking bus works well.
I also remember from riding the bus that they announced access to the <forget-the-name> lot.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Might check the St. Moritz if you don't mind sharing a small room with a couple others (bunk beds) with the bathroom down the hall. They do have a do it yourself continental breakfast and a pretty nice combo hot tub/pool. Been quite a few years for me, though.
I actually stayed in the St. Moritz in 2016. It was $75/night back then. Its $220 now.... /jawdrop

The Tyrolean at 300 would be an easy choice over the St. Moritz at those prices.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I also remember from riding the bus that they announced access to the <forget-the-name> lot.
I think you mean the Intercept Lot which is across from Highway 82 turnoff to Snowmass. I've never used it although I've heard they allow overnight RV parking. The new name for it is Brush Creek Park and Ride. See https://www.postindependent.com/news/aspens-intercept-lot-to-be-called-brush-creek-park-and-ride/ for details.

The Rodeo Lot that has free parking between between Highway 82 and Snowmass also has been renamed to Town Park Station.
From https://www.aspensnowmass.com/visit/getting-around: "Located in Snowmass and formerly named 'The Rodeo Lot," shuttles depart from Town Park Station every 10 minutes between 7:30AM – 5:30PM. Shuttles depart every 20 minutes between 6:40AM – 7:30 AM and 5:30PM – 6:30PM."

I've also used Buttermilk free parking to shuttle to Aspen Mountain (Ajax) and Aspen Highlands and never had very long of wait for free bus.

And for those talking about increased lodging rates, my wife and I stayed late season at Mountain Chalet in 2008 which is across street from even then very expensive St. Regis. Not only was rate $135/night, but we got 2-day lift tickets for $102 through them. Current price for Mountain Chalet during Gathering is $330/night during week and $374/night weekends plus almost 15% tax/fees. The deal killer for me is they require 7 nights from 12/26 through March. It does includes very good breakfast and free parking and is a great location for Ajax or buses to other Aspen mountains. I have cancelable reservations in Carbondale, but hoping to spend a couple of nights with friends in Basalt as I have on my last couple of Aspen trips.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually stayed in the St. Moritz in 2016. It was $75/night back then. Its $220 now.... /jawdrop

The Tyrolean at 300 would be an easy choice over the St. Moritz at those prices.
Just out of curiosity, I went to their website, and it looks like things have changed in the 20+ years since I stayed there. They do say rates from $75, but that is not to be found.

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Basalt is not a bad location. I stayed in Basalt both times I went to Aspen. Personally, I prefer Basalt over Aspen town or Snowmass village. It is a nice quaint small town outside of Aspen. I like it alot and would stay there again if visiting Aspen.

From Basalt or Carbondale to Aspen 4 if driving:
1) Park at Brush Creek Park and Ride Intercept Lot (as Tony said above). Catch free bus to up valley - Snowmass, Aspen.
2) To Buttermilk - parking is free. lot may be full if there is an event going on e.g. the x-game. In that case, park at Brush Creek Intercept lot and take bus to Buttermilk.
3) To Highland - Can park at Buttermilk parking lot and take free shuttle to Highland, only ~10 min. shuttle ride, it is practically "next door". Shuttle runs every 30 mins. Past year I visited Highland, parking was free if more than "x" # of people per car. Worth a call to Highland to check.

From Basalt to Aspen 4 if taking bus:
1) To find lodging, use Aspenalt Lodge address as your reference, since it is very close to the bus stop. It is an "older" hotel.
2) Basalt Mountain Inn is further in Basalt town, longer walk to and from bus stop, but I think it's still manageable. Newer compares to Aspenalt.
3) The Element Hotel in Basalt. Even though it advertises location in Basalt, it is actually in El Jebel, one bus stop further from Basalt town. Location is very good since there is a bus stop in front of the hotel, worth considering. Room has kitchenette, Whole Food supermarket and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
4) If using Airbnb / VRBO, I'd ask how close it is to bus stop (or use Aspenalt hotel as reference point). Some places are too far to walk to bus stop.
Lodging options in Basalt is more affordable.
5) Need to pay bus fare if get on bus in Basalt / Carbondale (it is only free from Brush Creek intercept lot onward). You can buy "Stored Value Card" to pre load, it can be purchased at most bus stops (e.g. Brush Creek Intercept Lot, Basalt town stop).

I found the Aspen bus system very good. It runs frequently and most bus stops have digital screen displaying next bus arrival time. I know approx wait time without downloading the App.
For comparison, in my opinion, Aspen bus system is far better & superior than bus system in Park City.

I don't know about Carbondale since I never stayed there.

Snowmass has first track at 8 am. You need to reserve since it has capacity cap, you can only sign up a wk in advance. Snowmass will call you to confirm reservation the afternoon before. 1st track meets at Elk Camp gondola 8 am, then to Alpine Springs chair. One can get 3 runs in before 9 am regular chair starts.

For MCP passholders, if you want to do first track, make sure you set up lift ticket the day prior. Ticket window opens 8:15 am, 1st track meets at 8 am.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Finally getting around to making plans. Booked Taos & planning on Aspen. It'll be my first trip there & haven't even read the whole thread yet.
If anyone is interested has extra space or may be interested in booking a place together, PM me. Planning to get a booster between now & then.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Was thinking I might extend this trip to another IKON resort and have never been to Steamboat. Saw @theNitza & @Jim Kenney may have plans that way. Any other interest?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was thinking I might extend this trip to another IKON resort and have never been to Steamboat. Saw @theNitza & @Jim Kenney may have plans that way. Any other interest?
I’m always interested, it just depends on other commitments. Won’t really have a handle on it until we get a lot closer. Steamboat is one I’ve always been interested in. Looks like a cool place. I’m big on the vibe. Another place that is very high on my list and not on Ikon is Telluride. I very much want to get out to Telluride.

We’ve booked 7 nights at Alpine Village Suites for Taos and a ski in/out condo for 8 nights at Snowmass. We’re going to hit Winter Park the weekend before X-Mas for a couple days and may hit the Basin for a day on our way out. That’s what’s on the books so far this year. I’ll likely do another trip later in March and will likely do that one based on where the snow is falling.

Last edited: