• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado OFFICIAL 2022 National Gathering Reports and Pics from Aspen-Snowmass - February 26 - March 5, 2022

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well shit. @AKMINK's ACL is torn, along with the MCL. She'll have reconstructive surgery in a few weeks after the initial swelling goes down and she can get the MCL healing. They'll take tissue from her hamstring ligament (I believe) and do a graft. Then 6-9 months recovery. So she should hopefully be skiing by January! Thanks again for all the well wishes.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well shit. @AKMINK's ACL is torn, along with the MCL. She'll have reconstructive surgery in a few weeks after the initial swelling goes down and she can get the MCL healing. They'll take tissue from her hamstring ligament (I believe) and do a graft. Then 6-9 months recovery. So she should hopefully be skiing by January! Thanks again for all the well wishes.
Aw, damn... sorry to hear that Andy. Give Anne my best and I hope she heals fast!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me repeat my standard recommendation to try to get them to give you a CMM (Continuous passive Motion Machine). It's a motorized frame that moves the joint at a programmed speed and range of motion. I found it very helpful. Between my 1st and 2nd ACLs (different knees) it went out of fashion. (I got the impression evidence-based-medicine had found it did not lead to better outcomes. Whether it did or not, it made it EASIER to get to a good outcome, and I got one approved as a special request for my 2nd knee.)

Good luck on the recovery. Mine were both the hamstring option. My surgeon said to wait a year to ski, but I cheated by about a month and a half.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That really sucks and it occurred on a fall that she said wasn't all that crazy. Good luck to her for the recovery.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
That really sucks and it occurred on a fall that she said wasn't all that crazy. Good luck to her for the recovery.
Hey she is in good company as Tom Brady also tore his ACL ... so did my wife and through aggressive PT both before and after surgery she was back at 100% in 5 months ... in fact she ended up in better shape as a result of the PT and has not slowed down since. This is one of the few sports injuries where they have some great solutions and you make a full recovery. Sucks that she will miss out on the rest of this season. Best of luck with the recovery!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey she is in good company as Tom Brady also tore his ACL ... so did my wife and through aggressive PT both before and after surgery she was back at 100% in 5 months ... in fact she ended up in better shape as a result of the PT and has not slowed down since. This is one of the few sports injuries where they have some great solutions and you make a full recovery. Sucks that she will miss out on the rest of this season. Best of luck with the recovery!
This is good news.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I always felt more fit after a recovery regimen. Injuries have sometimes resulted in major life adjustments.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Boo. Hugs.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear this - hope all goes well with the surgery

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got a trip report posted for Aspen...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For all those following the saga of Ann's injury, she had surgery yesterday. ACL was repaired using a graft from her hamstring tendon, the MCL has been healing nicely, and the lateral meniscus had a little scuffing but was stable. Now comes the fun part. PT starts tomorrow.

I have already purchased her 22/23 season pass at Mt. Rose so she needs to get on it! Thanks again for the vibrant and well wishes. That makes this community special!

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For all those following the saga of Ann's injury, she had surgery yesterday. ACL was repaired using a graft from her hamstring tendon, the MCL has been breaking nicely, and the lateral meniscus had a little scuffing but was stable. Now comes the fun part. PT starts tomorrow.

I have already purchased her 22/23 season pass at Mt. Rose so she needs to get on it! Thanks again for the vibrant and well wishes. That makes this community special!

Thanks for the update and good luck to Ann with PT!

Sponsor

Staff online