• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 Gathering Location -- Utah! February 25th - March 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I can sometimes be kind of naive. Or a lot naive.

Hit up the site for one of the LCC lodges where I had not stayed before, to see if they had any availability for the gathering week. To my happy surprise, the room came up at less than $1,000. "Wow," I thought. "That's pretty reasonable!" I was all ready to click the "book" button when I realized that it was $900+ PER NIGHT. :doh:
Which lodge?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Which lodge?
It happened to be the Snowpine, but that's not the point. I know that the GMD and others charge less than that (but still a lot). The point is that you can be a middle class Joe and suddenly get embarassingly out of your depth without trying very hard.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It happened to be the Snowpine, but that's not the point. I know that the GMD and others charge less than that (but still a lot). The point is that you can be a middle class Joe and suddenly get embarassingly out of your depth without trying very hard.
If somebody wants to stay up at Alta, and is fine with sharing a room, they can request a dorm room at GMD. They will put guys together; females will be paired up in regular rooms as the “dorm room.” I did this once, just booked a dorm room to save $ while traveling alone. The second night I got a roommate, who was with me for the remainder of my stay. We ended up skiing together and eating dinner together. It was a really fun trip. AND…we had 2 snowstorms and 2 interlodges, so nice to be right there and be able to get on the lift while everyone else was driving up the canyon.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. I was just curious.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hit up the site for one of the LCC lodges where I had not stayed before, to see if they had any availability for the gathering week. To my happy surprise, the room came up at less than $1,000. "Wow," I thought. "That's pretty reasonable!" I was all ready to click the "book" button when I realized that it was $900+ PER NIGHT. :doh:

Guess we're not going to be staying there......................

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Snowpine has gone way, way up since their renovation. The Rustler is pricey as well. GMD, Peruvian, Alta Lodge are more "affordable". I am not sure if the GMD has been doing dorm rooms since COVID... I personally think that the GMD is worth it. Unless you have a kitchen wherever you are staying, you need to factor in the cost of breakfast, dinner, and snacks (assuming that one eats these things) - these additional costs can add up quickly.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose' bourbon margaritas all good

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took the bus into LCC this season on a powder day Sunday, and it took two hours. The issue was parking reservations for Alta being checked at the entrance to the canyon and Snowbird parking being closed due to crowds, so those people being turned around. We got on at one of the first stops, so luckily had seats. The bus driver was super-nice and calling in to find out about the next bus etc, for people who couldn’t get on because it got too full.

If I go to the Gathering (and I most likely will), I’m hoping to be able to stay in LCC for at least part of it. The only place I’ve stayed there was the Peruvian, which I really liked, but it’s pricy if you want your own room and bathroom.
+1....the bus and driving up in your car has just gotten to be a much bigger hassle than it used to be. On a big dump last year..it took us at least 2 hours to get down from the mtn. I'm leaning strongly toward going and I will stay up at Alta..probably GMD....to me...convenience and eliminating stress points is worth more $ at this point in my life.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@bbinder would you plese give. Your take on lcc commuting so folks can get 2nd opinion. I tend to look at things with rose glasses.
Happy to, but I think that your assessments are fair and honest. Some caveats on my take on this: we tend to sleep late and drive up LCC between 10-11am; February to March of 2022 was not marked by huge amounts of snow, and I think that this has an impact on traffic on the canyon roads.

First of all: if you are driving make sure that you have a vehicle with 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive. And snow tires. Any more than 2-4 inches of snow on the road and 4/all wheel drive and/or chains will be required on the canyon roads.

Weekdays are not a problem parking-wise or traffic-wise in general. If there is fresh snow then driving up the canyon can be slower than normal (for fun, let's say an additional 10 minutes per inch of snow - not because of road conditions, but due to crowds). I have never had a problem parking at Alta on a weekday, even with fresh snow.

Weekends can be a general shit-show. If there is fresh snow, then you can anticipate a bumper to bumper grind up the hill. One Saturday this past winter there was 4-5" of fresh overnight, I left my apartment at 8:45am, and spent 20 minutes standing almost completely still approximately 2 miles from the bottom of LCC canyon road. I finally gave up and headed to BCC - in BCC I got into a backup *only* two miles from Solitude. All the parking lots were full, but someone was leaving just as I pulled up (only a quarter mile from the parking lot). If we skied on weekend days when there was no fresh snow, our strategy of leaving our apartment between 10-11 worked fine (assuming that I had made a parking reservation at Alta): little traffic driving up, and we always got a place to park.

The biggest risk with staying in the valley is if there is a major snowfall. The canyon roads may close temporarily. Or (as happened 2 years ago during a storm of 4 feet), the canyon roads may close for days. Admittedly, the latter is very rare. And during that storm 2 years ago, everyplace in LCC was on interlodge (when you can be arrested for even walking outside, much less ski) for 3 days - so my friends who were staying at GMD went a little stir crazy. Again: very rare. It is more likely that any interlodge will be very temporary and anybody staying up the canyon will have a "country club day" on the mountain until the roads open up.

My experience with the bus system is very good. When I took the bus, I got on at the first stop (so I always had a seat). Even on a day without traffic, the bus will take longer because of the stops they make along the way (our drive from the bus stop would be 20-25 minutes, and the bus would take 40 minutes without traffic (plus waiting for the bus)). If there is traffic and or slow travel due to snow, the bus will (of course) take longer. But I have utmost trust in the bus drivers' ability to keep me safe.

Unless you are not renting a vehicle (and therefore committed to taking the bus everyday) and are also renting a place with a kitchen, it just makes sense (to me anyway) to stay at the GMD or the Peruvian. IMHO, once you factor in the cost of a renting a capable vehicle for a week with meal costs, then the daily cost of staying in even a cheap hotel room will add up to close the daily rate at one of these lodges.

YMMV

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless you are not renting a vehicle (and therefore committed to taking the bus everyday) and are also renting a place with a kitchen, it just makes sense (to me anyway) to stay at the GMD or the Peruvian. IMHO, once you factor in the cost of a renting a capable vehicle for a week with meal costs, then the daily cost of staying in even a cheap hotel room will add up to close the daily rate at one of these lodges.
When is the last time you stayed in the canyon? The Peruvian is quoting north of $450 a night for a simple queen room with shared bath, $550+ for a room with private bath. Alta Lodge (where I've stayed before) has me on a wait list but didn't quote me any prices. (I don't think they've set them for next winter yet.) The GMD site is not returning quotes. I suspect that they also have not set rates for next winter, and that their site is not smart enough to say that in so many words. So I'm going to email them.

In the past I've always shared a condo in the valley, and a car, with about three other people and that has proven pretty affordable. Definitely not anywhere near $500 a night, even considering the car and groceries.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fwiw (not going to be attending) I split a reasonably nice 2 bed/1.5 bath condo in Sandy/Cottonwood Heights and a mid-size SUV for the entirety of presidents week (8 days) this season for $1300 (combined). Factoring in food still doesn’t come close to lodging in the canyon.

Even better if you find a place directly on top of the bus route and don’t need a vehicle. I would have been willing to walk the 20 minutes to the bus stop but that was a no go for my friend.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When is the last time you stayed in the canyon? The Peruvian is quoting north of $450 a night for a simple queen room with shared bath, $550+ for a room with private bath. Alta Lodge (where I've stayed before) has me on a wait list but didn't quote me any prices. (I don't think they've set them for next winter yet.) The GMD site is not returning quotes. I suspect that they also have not set rates for next winter, and that their site is not smart enough to say that in so many words. So I'm going to email them.

In the past I've always shared a condo in the valley, and a car, with about three other people and that has proven pretty affordable. Definitely not anywhere near $500 a night, even considering the car and groceries.
AT those prices, there is no comparison between staying in the valley vs the canyon. The last time I stayed at the GMD was this past February for my annual Alta Kackers trip. I stayed 6 nights for much less than the numbers that you were quoted. Don't get me wrong: staying in the valley will always be less expensive than staying in the canyon. For me the convenience factor is worth a lot.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Phelmut should weigh-in on cheap airbnb in the valley, he's gotten some great deals that way but that could have been a few years ago.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are definitely some decent prices on Airbnbs in the valley. But the Airbnb cancellation policy generally sucks - most places only allow cancellation for 48 hours after making the reservation.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm reluctant to pay for what LCC costs, also it looks like some/many of the LCC lodges are already booked. I only want to search so much for something that costs more than I want to pay.

I did a bit of searching and found a few Airbnb's with full refund for cancellation a month before the check-in date. One is a 3br house near a ski bus line and I'm tempted to reserve it in case others want to do a group house. Or find a place on my own, since I don't know if my SO will join me.

I'm also tempted to drive which is 14 hours, that way I'd have my Subie with snow tires.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Phelmut should weigh-in on cheap airbnb in the valley, he's gotten some great deals that way but that could have been a few years ago.
During the season this year I checked the place i got a few years back a few years back out of curiosity and unfortunately the property is no longer listed. It was a great deal and came with a few cool pups at no extra charge. I'd imagine it would probably be double what it cost then if still available, but would still be a good deal.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a very cheap place in Sandy this past season, but very nice- 2 BR/1 Bath basement apartment. Got a discount because of how long I stayed. It was a 20 minute drive to Altabird in normal traffic conditions.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are trying to work on lodging options so if you make reservations, make sure there is a cancelation option so if what we can get is better, you can switch. As to when we will know wha these will be? I don't have that answer yet, but we are working on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.