• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 Gathering Location -- Utah! February 25th - March 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@utskier drives for Uber! :ogbiggrin:
Seriously, since he works by the airport, he picks up a ride here and there to and from the airport for some pocket cash.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well 20 yrs ago we stayed here in Sandy for the ESA at Brighton. Has basic kitchen to cook.
Looks like $90/night with taxes.

https://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/UT/salt-lake-city/sandy
Still talking about it at this point, but we'll be looking at accommodations along those lines. Yep, we may get burned on canyon closures, but unless we come up with a phenomenal group rate, this is much more in our budget. Assuming we go IKON, I'd like to take a couple days at Snowbasin too.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still talking about it at this point, but we'll be looking at accommodations along those lines. Yep, we may get burned on canyon closures, but unless we come up with a phenomenal group rate, this is much more in our budget. Assuming we go IKON, I'd like to take a couple days at Snowbasin too.
Last SLC Gathering I had FOMO with 30+" of fresh powder in LCC. I drove to Snowbasin for 18" of fresh snow and made fresh tracks all day. Thank you @4ster for showing us around!

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I have a tentative plan to go to Alta over Presidents’ Day weekend. Will have to miss the gathering by a few days.

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Interested to attend this gathering and I am considering Alta Peruvian Lodge. Price is more reasonable than GMD, Alta Lodge. It is full board and provides shuttle to Alta. I've stayed there 3x in past 2 seasons and loved the ambience.

Question: any idea how & if we will split the gathering days among Alta/Bird , Snowbasin, DV (+/- Solitude Brighton in BCC)? Reason for asking, how do folks arrange lodging and transportation in last Utah gathering? I am ready to book Alta Peruvian Lodge and want to know how many nights to reserve. TIA

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are trying to work on lodging options so if you make reservations, make sure there is a cancelation option so if what we can get is better, you can switch. As to when we will know wha these will be? I don't have that answer yet, but we are working on it.
I’m doing Big Sky/Targhee late February so this would be a great incentive to swing down to SLC!

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Would staying in a suburb of Salt Lake City be a bad option? How long would the drive be from say the southeast end of town to Alta or Snowbird? How’s the drive in on weekends? Hopefully not like I-70?
It is very likely that a house or two will be rented at the base of little and big cottonwood canyons. They are rented and filled with gathering friends. Watch for posts along those lines.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Well dang. Wish I could join y’all but will be a LONG way away. Altabird is a favorite annual pilgrimage of mine. IMHO worth it to stay at Alta base especially when you’re flying in and don’t want to bother with a rental car and groceries. GMD or Peruvian is less than 300/night pp all in with a great breakfast and dinner and since Covid the GMD has limited the cafe/bar area to guests only which is nice for après. Could change for 2023. Yes it’s a lot but with the food and proximity to lifts it is a good deal.

I hope y’all get a ski talk group rate fill up either GMD or Peruvian and it dumps interlodge level while you’re there.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GMD or Peruvian is less than 300/night pp all in with a great breakfast and dinner and since Covid the GMD has limited the cafe/bar area to guests only which is nice for après.

2022-23 rates are up and GMD is now $430 a night pp and $643 double occupancy for next Feburary. I'm going to have to re-think my plan to stay there. It would be $5,300 with tax for me and my son.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2022-23 rates are up and GMD is now $430 a night pp and $643 double occupancy for next Feburary. I'm going to have to re-think my plan to stay there. It would be $5,300 with tax for me and my son.
Yup

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I won't bore people with all the details but due to my ex-wife's decision making we'll be in Utah for the second half of MA school vacation week and will be leaving the following Tuesday during Gathering week. We'll get 3 days to ski with the group but that was all the school she'd allow Noah to miss. Anyway, I've managed to spin this into a positive! We're going to stay in Midvale Tuesday-Thursday and ski Brighton and Solitude. We really liked Brighton last trip and didn't get to ski enough of Solitude so I'm kinda happy with the change of plans. On Friday we'll move up to GMD for the beginning of the Gathering.

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
That's a big jump - last trip Feb 2022 we paid just under $300/night pp double occupancy on our group rate. And in Covid years they switched from full dinner service to buffet. Hey, I get it, inflation and all that but you are correct that's getting quite spendy.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a big jump - last trip Feb 2022 we paid just under $300/night pp double occupancy on our group rate. And in Covid years they switched from full dinner service to buffet. Hey, I get it, inflation and all that but you are correct that's getting quite spendy.

Yeah, it's a big jump but I've read that lodging pricing in general is up. I guess they're trying to make up for lost revenue from 2020 and 2021.

The combined cost of 3 nights in Midvale, 4 nights at GMD and a $1,100 SUV rental is still less than the cost of staying at GMD the whole time and using the Alta Shuttle.

EDIT: I was really surprised with the SUV rental cost. Usually when I reserve one this far out the price is around $600 all-in. I guess they're not letting that happen anymore.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it's a big jump but I've read that lodging pricing in general is up. I guess they're trying to make up for lost revenue from 2020 and 2021.

The combined cost of 3 nights in Midvale, 4 nights at GMD and a $1,100 SUV rental is still less than the cost of staying at GMD the whole time and using the Alta Shuttle.

EDIT: I was really surprised with the SUV rental cost. Usually when I reserve one this far out the price is around $600 all-in. I guess they're not letting that happen anymore.
If you're a gambler and can get free cancellation with rental cars, you ought to reserve an economy car too, esp if it's 50% less than SUV. Then a few days before your trip check the weather report and possibly go with the economy car if little snow is forecasted. You'd still have the UTA buses (free for IKON pass holders) as your backup if there's a surprise snow.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're a gambler and can get free cancellation with rental cars, you ought to reserve an economy car too, esp if it's 50% less than SUV. Then a few days before your trip check the weather report and possibly go with the economy car if little snow is forecasted. You'd still have the UTA buses (free for IKON pass holders) as your backup if there's a surprise snow.

Not a bad idea, Jim. We're planning to ride the bus to BCC and only need this rental to get us and all of our luggage up from Midvale to GMD on Friday morning. As long as it doesn't snow on Friday or Tuesday (for the ride to the airport) I'd be okay with an economy car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online