• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 Gathering Location -- Utah! February 25th - March 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it's a big jump but I've read that lodging pricing in general is up. I guess they're trying to make up for lost revenue from 2020 and 2021.

The combined cost of 3 nights in Midvale, 4 nights at GMD and a $1,100 SUV rental is still less than the cost of staying at GMD the whole time and using the Alta Shuttle.

EDIT: I was really surprised with the SUV rental cost. Usually when I reserve one this far out the price is around $600 all-in. I guess they're not letting that happen anymore.
Have you heard of Turo.com? It's a website where people rent out their personal vehicles and the prices are generally much less than car rental agencies. Might be a way to save several hundred $.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Have you heard of Turo.com? It's a website where people rent out their personal vehicles and the prices are generally much less than car rental agencies. Might be a way to save several hundred $.
My son rented from turo and it went well. Daughter then rented from turo and nothing went right. Car was not in specified parking lot, very poor communication, and an attempt to charge extra $$$.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, sorry to hear about your Daughter's experience. Then again I've heard some people on travel forums complaining about rentals from the large rental agencies.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I’ve heard of Turo but I’m not sure if I’d use them. I think issues happen with both companies like Turo and the big rental agencies but at least with the big guys there’s likely a back-up option within the company. Thanks for the suggestion, though @Phelmut

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Five of us, 3 adults and 2 kids, rented a Turo Chrysler minivan from Salt Lake City last Saturday to travel to the Four Corners and returned the vehicle yesterday for about 20% cheaper. We couldn’t have asked for a nicer owner. Very happy with it.

RUBBERDUCK

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone taken this tour?

I did it once back in the 90s. It was worth doing for the price. I did the Park City to Snowbird, with a van ride back to Park City. Lunch at Solitude was included. But, from what I know now, the 4 area trip - Snowbird/Alta/Solitude/Brighton is more loaded on quality terrain.
For example, we started at the top of Jupiter Bowl at Park City. Skied off the backside in great powder at first. But then we hit flat spots, went past some houses, backyards, driveways, down a street, then hit the main road across from Solitude. We even skipped Brighton. The traverse from Solitude to Alta was really awesome. I was in a fun group. It wasn't a difficult trip.

If you get the chance, and don't care about the price, do it. It is something different, and the guides take care of you.

RUBBERDUCK

Booting up
Skier
Word so far is that all of the lodges at Alta are raising their prices. And there probably won't be any significant deals. We stayed at The GMD last December for the first time and it was great. The two Decembers before that we stayed at The Rustler and it was amazing. Worth every penny, but we had an early season discount. I always have the MCP, so I will always go to Alta/Bird with my friends. But dam, this is gonna be expensive as hell from now on, I reckon.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
While not as "classic" or all inclusive, check out the Lodge at Snowbird or the Iron Blossom. Those are usually a bit cheaper than the Alta lodges.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A big issue with the lodging at the Bird is unless you cook in, the selection of restaurants on the hill is rather limited.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No roll call thread?
Technically there isn't even a Gathering thread yet. This is only the date/ location announcement.

Which reminds me.... I need to get on the Gathering and roll call threads. Links will be provided here when they're created.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, booked 8 nights at GMD. Got $200 off Ikon discount. Given the overall cost it’s minimal but it is a $200 recoup on the Ikon already. I’m not sure if Kevin will have leave available to attend this year. I do have a 2 bed room so I may be open too a room mate to share cost. I’ll know more in the coming weeks.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Technically there isn't even a Gathering thread yet. This is only the date/ location announcement.

Which reminds me.... I need to get on the Gathering and roll call threads. Links will be provided here when they're created.
Well...what are yo waiting for? It's almost labor day. :duck:

I plan on attending this, have been checking lodging, flights, car rentals. etc. and am weighing my options. My first visit we stayed at Snowbird which was an amazing experience but not having a kitchen and having limited space was a bit of a PITA. My subsequent visits I/we stayed near the mouth of LCC in a place with full amenities and had an AWD rental car which made grocery shopping and dining out much more pleasant but involved a daily "commute" to the mountain and waiting in the "queue" a couple of times. Seeing what others are planning could effect my(and others) decisions so @dbostedo, you better get on it. :roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Official Gathering thread is live... see it here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor