• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, @ZionPow was tied up all day playing patroller. Despite our best efforts to meet up with him, it was just one of those crazy days with crazy amounts of snow, wind, and people wandering off into the yonder. They were a busy crew today!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Terrific day at Snowbasin today, with 12 new inches on top of what they got the last couple of days. Snowbird reported 21" and should have been great for anyone who took that option, once the interlodge was lifted and the canyon was open.

Tomorrow is another option day... main location is Alta, with an alternate to go to Sundance. Alta is predicted to get 4-6" tonight and 5-9" during the day tomorrow. Sundance is looking at 1-3" tonight and 4-8" during the day tomorrow.

I'll be heading to Alta, but may wait in Sandy until they announce the canyon opening. So may not get up until late morning or even lunch time.

LCC is closing at 12:30 tonight with a projected opening at 8:30... but it could be later.

For LCC traffic and closure info, you can check https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/

Crowds into the canyons the next couple of days could still be large because of the snow. Local folks have suggested getting to the canyon entrances by 7:30 if they're open, and that's not guarantee of being on time. I plan to be even earlier, like 7:00 to the canyon.

Traffic and bus delays have tended to be worse than usual. If folks miss the morning meetup, you can try again after lunch.

Last edited:

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Terrific day at Snowbasin today, with 12 new inches on top of what they got the last couple of days. Snowbird reported 21" and should have been great for anyone who took that option, once the interlodge was lifted and the canyon was open.

Tomorrow is another option day... main location is Alta, with an alternate to go to Sundance. Alta is predicted to get 4-6" tonight and 5-9" during the day tomorrow. Sundance is looking at 1-3" tonight and 4-8" during the day tomorrow.

I'll be heading to Alta, but may wait in Sandy until they announce the canyon opening. So may not get up until late morning or even lunch time.

LCC is closing at 12:30 tonight with a projected opening at 8:30... but it could be later.

For LCC traffic and closure info, you can check https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/

Crowds into the canyons the next couple of days could still be large because of the snow. Local folks have suggested getting to the canyon entrances by 7:30 if they're open, and that's not guarantee of being on time. I plan to be even earlier, like 7:00 to the canyon.

Traffic and bus delays have tended to be worse than usual. If folks miss the morning meetup, you can try again after lunch.
I am at Alta today. Regular meeting spot. Rumors of some other folk being here too.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Judy and I are taking it easy today. The 11 hour drive on Saturday then getting up at 5:00 AM the past three days and skiing hard has tired our old butts out. Everyone have fun at Alta, Sundance or wherever you are skiing today. We might sneak up to Solitude or maybe even Alta later.

See folks at Brighton/Solitude on Thursday and Snowbird on Friday. It's been a blast so far!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another great day in Utah today... Alta was terrific in the morning - sun and pow! Good visibility is underrated. The afternoon it was dumping and some free refillage was going on. Spent the morning mostly on Wildcat (after a late start), and the afternoon on Supreme for better vis.

By all accounts Sundance was amazing! Happy to hear everyone that headed there had a great day too.

Tomorrow is the last option day - Alta being the primary and Sol/Bright being the option. (Reminder, if you're coming to Sol/Bright, you need a reservation on Ikon for Brighton!) Unusually, there's not a lot of snow predicted tonight... but the Cottonwoods did get a few inches last night and today, so things should be good.

I'm hoping for a little bit more sun too! And I'm heading to Sol/Bright, my first time at either... see those of you going there in the morning!

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Another great day in Utah today... Alta was terrific in the morning - sun and pow! Good visibility is underrated. The afternoon it was dumping and some free refillage was going on. Spent the morning mostly on Wildcat (after a late start), and the afternoon on Supreme for better vis.

By all accounts Sundance was amazing! Happy to hear everyone that headed there had a great day too.

Tomorrow is the last option day - Alta being the primary and Sol/Bright being the option. (Reminder, if you're coming to Sol/Bright, you need a reservation on Ikon for Brighton!) Unusually, there's not a lot of snow predicted tonight... but the Cottonwoods did get a few inches last night and today, so things should be good.

I'm hoping for a little bit more sun too! And I'm heading to Sol/Bright, my first time at either... see those of you going there in the morning!
Snow showers ongoing when I left SOL around 3pm today if this helps. End of the day had noticeable, though not huge, free refills.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So even when it's not supposed to snow here, somehow Brighton gets 10" in the last 24 hours!!!

1677763530912.png

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the Gathering that won't stop giving! Lots of soft snow at Brighton today (they reported 10" this morning, mostly during the day yesterday) and even though we couldn't also check out Solitude, a good time was had by all. Brighton is a very beautiful resort. Based on a few pics and posts, it looks like Alta was great today too, for those that opted not to go to Brighton.

Tomorrow is the last official Gathering ski day :(... but that means one more chance to have a lot of fun. :D And no decisions tomorrow - Snowbird it is! Not expecting much snow tonight, but we could get 2-4" during the day tomorrow... might be a grey day.

Meetup is on tram deck at 8:45, as before. Lunch / afternoon meetup will be at the Mid-Gad restaurant. See you all there!

Shouldn't be a problem tomorrow, but for LCC traffic and closure info, you can check https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lunch today at Mid Gad restaurant... have a couple of tables along the windows

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great Gathering! Enjoyed skiing with new and old friends. I'm resting today and doing my taxes:rolleyes: Kind of a let down after a week of powder skiing!
Let me know if any of those lingering in the SLC area want to ski Snowbird or Solitude in the near future, perhaps we can make some turns together?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me know if any of those lingering in the SLC area want to ski Snowbird or Solitude in the near future, perhaps we can make some turns together?
Judy and I are here through next Friday-leaving Saturday for Steamboat. We're meeting up with her brothers and 4 other guys for at least a couple of days. When we have a schedule I'll let you know. Thanks again for your guiding!

Sponsor

Staff online