• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw our first wolly bear caterpillar of the fall yesterday. Just a narrow band of orange. So much black. A sign of things to come perhaps.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Saw our first wolly bear caterpillar of the fall yesterday. Just a narrow band of orange. So much black. A sign of things to come perhaps.

Our ones seem to be all black , near as nevermind:huh:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know I saw a post recently with provisional venue assignments for the first few days. Asking because parking reservations will be needed at Alta, albeit possibly not this early.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone in this thread is mono-curious, Monopalooza will be at Pow Mow and the 'Bird. 2-5 March.

or...feel free to use the link as an avoidance guide :D
IIRC they were at Jackson during the one of the Gatherings. They're mostly harmless.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alright, not ready to add my name to the roll call just yet, but am taking a hard look at this.

I need someone talk me down from the ledge. (or push me over the edge!!)

(Thinking out loud...)

Drive up from Arizona on Sunday the 26.

Ski Mon - Fri
Right now, purchasing advanced tickets, 2x Alta, 1x Snowbird, 1x Brighton, 1x Solitude - comes to around $600. But that would have limited flexibility, cause you have to buy for a particular day.
However, the Mountain Collective pass right now is $600. So that could be the best option, leaving some additional days that I'm not sure I would get to use, but there's that.

Lodging - prolly stay in the city at the NoTell Motel and chance it as far as driving up canyon(s) and parking. 6 nights ~$800 for a decent place (Holiday Inn Express), less for a real budget option.

Return to AZ on Saturday March 4.

Big drive though, 680 miles one way. I've done it before when I was a lad. Not sure what it would be like to do it now. I've done a few 8 hour days in the last few years
A lot of gas @$5 /gal, but still less than flying/renting.

Is this a totally stupid idea? :huh:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Alright, not ready to add my name to the roll call just yet, but am taking a hard look at this.

(Thinking out loud...)

Ski Mon - Fri
Right now, purchasing advanced tickets, 2x Alta, 1x Snowbird, 1x Brighton, 1x Solitude - comes to around $600. But that would have limited flexibility, cause you have to buy for a particular day.
However, the Mountain Collective pass right now is $600. So that could be the best option, leaving some additional days that I'm not sure I would get to use, but there's that.

Lodging - prolly stay in the city at the NoTell Motel and chance it as far as driving up canyon(s) and parking. 6 nights ~$800 for a decent place (Holiday Inn Express), less for a real budget option.

Big drive though, 680 miles one way. I've done it before when I was a lad. Not sure what it would be like to do it now. I've done a few 8 hour days in the last few years

You're asking the wrong crowd here :ogbiggrin: Objective answers will not be forthcoming.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, it is not a stupid idea at all. But only you can decide if it is worth it.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

(Thinking out loud...)

Ski Mon - Fri

Not stupid at all! I have a 663 mile drive to SLC, and if I can get the time off work and go to the gathering, I’ll be driving. My drive is pretty much 80 all the way, and I’ve done it multiple times in the past few years. Not sure what your route would be from Arizona.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

(Thinking out loud...)

Ski Mon - Fri

:huh:
Mtn Collective would fit nicely; two days Alta, two days Snowbird, and one day at Snowbasin. Pretty sure there will be a splinter group that will do a day at Snowbasin during the week. Later you might get some additional value out of the MCP with two days at Taos if that is convenient from home location??
Oops, Taos might be just as far as SLC?? But I'll say that you can't put a number on the value you get from the guiding, camaraderie and stoke of a Gathering.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online