• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
So I only bought the Ikon Base Pass for this year. May not have been the best choice for the Utah Gathering, as Alta is excluded, but what's done is done. Does anybody know if the Base Pass gets you any break at all on Alta tickets? If not, I'll probably just ski at Snowbird on the Alta days (which is really not that much of a hardship). If anybody else is in same situation, I'll be happy to have some company! (FWIW, I'm only skiing 3/1 - 3/4 also)

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So I only bought the Ikon Base Pass for this year. May not have been the best choice for the Utah Gathering, as Alta is excluded, but what's done is done. Does anybody know if the Base Pass gets you any break at all on Alta tickets? If not, I'll probably just ski at Snowbird on the Alta days (which is really not that much of a hardship). If anybody else is in same situation, I'll be happy to have some company! (FWIW, I'm only skiing 3/1 - 3/4 also)
No break on Alta tickets with the base pass, unfortunately. I'm in the same boat with the base pass but may actually be skiing 5 1/2-6 days so I'll most likely do Solitude and/or Brighton one day. From my experience with Snowbird, I think I could probably spend a month there and not get bored. :huh:

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Alan and adam, for your consideration, i've volunteered to lead a sub-group of us for a sol-bright day on March 2. Ski both mtns on same day using connector trail. Your pass should be good for that.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me and the Fam will be up at Snowbasin on Tuesday. And probably Saturday as well. Happy to help as needed.

Every resort is a bad idea on a Saturday. I think if you know how to navigate to less busy lifts, then it could work out OK.
I don't think its a bad idea to go skiing on Saturdays. But you certainly need to get up earlier if you don't want to miss half the morning in a traffic jam. Saturday pow days tho... that's a bad idea.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've been in Utah for 12 Days and have experienced everything from convention show floors to deep powder. This is going to be a very snowy gathering!!

Bring it!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Back to off topic. The original “A Star is Born” with Frederic March and Janet Gaynor was released in 1937 and won an Oscar for best writing and original story.

I was at Stagecoach Festival in Coachella waiting for Willie Nelson to play when they filmed Bradley Cooper in front of crowd for latest re-make. But I don’t see myself in first photo at https://www.pressenterprise.com/201...l-empire-polo-club-in-a-star-is-born-trailer/

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Just thinking right now. But, to do this without a car, where is the best area to stay to catch the bus?

I liked the Cooper/Gaga version if that matters.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just thinking right now. But, to do this without a car, where is the best area to stay to catch the bus?
Assuming you’re talking about the Gathering, and going to primarily Alta and Snowbird, the LCC Ski Bus is the 994. A lot of people flock to the Park and Ride lots closer to LCC, consider staying somewhere closer to where the route originates, otherwise on a powder day you may be waiting for a while to only have a full bus pass you by (if you can even find a parking spot).

*There is an another route, 972, that goes to Solitude and Brighton. That route runs along Fort Union Blvd with several hotels that were often frequented by Skitalk members, however this year there isn’t a direct route from Ft Union Blvd to LCC, so it requires a transfer. :(

Assuming you are flying into SLC, the Trax light rail is an easy way to get to town, if you can find accommodations close to a line. There are a lot of hotels within walking distance of the Blue Line at Midvale/Ft Union. Getting to the Blue Line from the SLC Airport Green Line requires a downtown transfer.

To head to Alta or Snowbird, you can hop on the Blue Line and get off at the Historic Sandy Station, which is start of the 994 LCC Ski Bus.

If you go to Solitude/Brighton, the 972 starts at Midvale/Ft Union.

There aren’t many hotels close the start of the 994. My solution was to get an AirBnb close to the Historic Sandy Station. While I will have a vehicle, it’s nice to not have to drive up the canyons every day. I can walk to a bus stop, or drive to the park and ride. Staying near one of these two stations also gives you flexibility to get around town by rail or bus, not to mention there’s lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Last edited: