• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
SHAME ON YOU!!!
Ahh, there's plenty of snow there now. I want to be able to get up the hill to use it! And it can snow between now and then.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good for you.....it's only money. Staying up the canyon will make the trip a whole heck of a lot easier/better. Have a great trip!
The funny thing is that when I did the math, including a rental, it was almost the same cost. AWD SUV rentals are stoopid expensive now

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another data point: I went up to Solitude today, routine Thursday 26 Jan. Arrived at 9am and got a free parking space on the access road about 15 cars below the entrance to the Moonbeam parking lot. Today was a beautiful sunny day, great conditions, only an inch or two of fresh snow. So crowds were very light. Gorgeous view of Honeycomb Canyon from Buckeye jr slope:
view of fantasy ridge from buckeye jr solitude.jpg

For Gatherers: if you arrive with a few people in the car the daily paid parking fee at Solitude gets pretty affordable and you wouldn't have to seek free parking on the access road like cheapie me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny thing is that when I did the math, including a rental, it was almost the same cost. AWD SUV rentals are stoopid expensive now
Well, that's true if you're comparing lodging for one or two in the canyon against comparable lodging in the valley. It's not true if you're comparing - as I was - staying at the GMD solo against sharing a condo - and car and food - in the valley with three or four others, each paying a share

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, that's true if you're comparing lodging for one or two in the canyon against comparable lodging in the valley. It's not true if you're comparing - as I was - staying at the GMD solo against sharing a condo - and car and food - in the valley with three or four others, each paying a share
Yeah, I was booked in a hotel and not sharing a condo like you are. I didn't have that as an option.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another data point: I went up to Solitude today, routine Thursday 26 Jan. Arrived at 9am and got a free parking space on the access road about 15 cars below the entrance to the Moonbeam parking lot. Today was a beautiful sunny day, great conditions, only an inch or two of fresh snow. So crowds were very light. Gorgeous view of Honeycomb Canyon from Buckeye jr slope:
View attachment 190531

For Gatherers: if you arrive with a few people in the car the daily paid parking fee at Solitude gets pretty affordable and you wouldn't have to seek free parking on the access road like cheapie me.
Your posts are always true stoke…..this is what a SkiUtah thread is all about. Thank you.

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an FYI, I am driving up from Phoenix and staying in the Midvale/ Ft. Union area and would be happy to share rides up the canyon.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We typically try to sort into groups (for those that want to) in the morning or after lunch for those at similar skill levels.

Will there be a ski-off!? :daffy::philgoat::cool:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We typically try to sort into groups (for those that want to) in the morning or after lunch for those at similar skill levels.

Will there be a ski-off!?
Believe me, skill has very little to do with it. Terrain preference and appetite for bad ideas are bigger factors. "Exactly what flavor of nut job do you want to hang out with today?" is generally a relevant question.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Believe me, skill has very little to do with it. Terrain preference and appetite for bad ideas are bigger factors. "Exactly what flavor of nut job do you want to hang out with today?" is generally a relevant question.
I can personally attest to that. At my first gathering, KG tried to gently tell me that I really wasn’t skilled enough but was such an adrenaline junkie to ski the terrain… in totally the wrong skis and in boots way too big.

I’d like to think my enthusiasm always make up for my deficiencies…

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm going to try to make it. Will most likely be staying in Sandy as all the Alta lodges appear to be full. There are still some moving parts which need to fall in place before I know for sure I can be there.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey everyone... I wanted to announce that SkiTalk has been able to arrange a limited number of free passes to Sundance ski resort (https://www.sundanceresort.com/), on Wednesday March 1st. These will be first-signed-up, first-served in a separate roll-call thread, found here:

We have 20 tickets available (and a handful are already spoken for) that will go to the first 20 people on the list. If there are cancellations or no-shows, then the next person on the list will get the ticket, and so on.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Another data point: I went up to Solitude today, routine Thursday 26 Jan. Arrived at 9am and got a free parking space on the access road about 15 cars below the entrance to the Moonbeam parking lot. :
That's unheard of !
Another option is the UTA ski bus up LCC from Midvale TRax, the park & ride at the cement plant lot on Wasatch Blvd, or lot at mouth of LCC (free with a Ikon pass)

I like @Jim Kenney's earlier comment " My son is putting me through boot camp for skiing Geezers." I could use that too. lol

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey everyone... I wanted to announce that SkiTalk has been able to arrange a limited number of free passes to Sundance ski resort (https://www.sundanceresort.com/), on Wednesday March 1st. These will be first-signed-up, first-served in a separate roll-call thread, found here:

We have 20 tickets available (and a handful are already spoken for) that will go to the first 20 people on the list. If there are cancellations or no-shows, then the next person on the list will get the ticket, and so on.

The number of free tickets available for Sundance is now 30!!!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I need to start a Snowbasin day thread/roll call? It's going to be Tuesday, February 28th. I will make a request for sunshine, fresh powder, and the road to close after everyone important arrives.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I need to start a Snowbasin day thread/roll call? It's going to be Tuesday, February 28th. I will make a request for sunshine, fresh powder, and the road to close after everyone important arrives.
That would be great! Yes, do that.

Oh wait, are you talking about a roll call?

Sponsor

Staff online