• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
:snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow:

It's the Gathering that won't stop giving! Lots of soft snow at Brighton yesterday (they reported 10" yesterday morning, mostly during the day prior) and even though we couldn't also check out Solitude, a good time was had by all. Brighton is a very beautiful resort. Based on a few pics and posts, it looks like Alta was great yesterday too, for those that opted not to go to Brighton.

TODAY is the last official Gathering ski day :(... but that means one more chance to have a lot of fun! .:D And no decisions to make - Snowbird it is! They didn't get any snow last night (though Alta reported a few inches), and we could get 2-4" during the day tomorrow... might be a grey day.

Meetup is on tram deck at 8:45, as before. Lunch / afternoon meetup will be at the Mid-Gad restaurant. See you all there!

Shouldn't be a problem tomorrow, but for LCC traffic and closure info, you can check https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/

:snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow:

2022 National Gathering in Utah, February 25 - March 4, 2023

NOTE : This is a living post and will be changed as new information becomes available (last updated 2/15/2023)

Utah Gathering 031018 142 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg
The view from the top of Snowbird, March 2018

It's official... the next National Gathering will be in Utah, from February 25th through March 4th, 2023. It will be centered around Alta and Snowbird, with days at other resorts possible, either officially or unofficially.

The last Utah Gathering was back in 2018, when we did days at Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird. This Gathering will have Alta and Snowbird days chosen below, with alternate options planned for some of the days as shown. (These alternates will have a Gathermeister to pick a meetup spot, to meet and greet and make sure everyone finds each other.)

As with all SkiTalk Gatherings, anyone and everyone are welcome, and everyone is responsible for their own travel, lodging, and lift ticket arrangements. Just be there the right week, and plan to meet up and have a great time. Some people come for the whole thing, some just for a few days - it's open to whatever works for you.

SCHEDULE AND DAILY MEET-UPS
Sunday, February 26th - Snowbird
Monday, February 27th - Alta
Tuesday, February 28th - Snowbird OR Snowbasin alternate
Wednesday, March 1st - Alta OR Sundance alternate (limited free tickets available)
Thursday, March 2nd - Alta OR Solitude/Brighton alternate
Friday, March 3rd - Snowbird

Notes:
Big thanks to the other resort Gathermeisters!

We'll be meeting around 8:45-9:00 for 9:00/9:!5 lift starts.

Look for PugSki/SkiTalk stickers on helmets and skis, and we'll also be handing out orange ribbon/streamers the first couple of days for tying on to helmets or poles to help folks find each other on the mountain.

For Snowbird, we'll be meeting on the Tram plaza, approximately here:

1676691969641.png

At Alta, we'll be meeting off the Goldminer's Daughter patio below the Collins lift, about here:

1676692071768.png

For the other resorts, please see the specific roll/discussion threads on those days for info, linked above.

For Alta and Snowbird resort information, see https://www.alta.com/ and https://www.snowbird.com/
For Solitude and Brighton information, see https://www.solitudemountain.com/ and https://brightonresort.com/
For Snowbasin information, see https://www.snowbasin.com/
For Sundance information, see https://www.sundanceresort.com/

LUNCH MEET-UPS
Lunch meet-ups are very loosely defined, like a lot of the Gathering. There is a suggested place for lunch, just to give folks an opportunity to meet-up and find others to ski with for the afternoon. We'll typically meet-up for an early lunch - 11:30 - 11:45 - to avoid lunch crowds somewhat. We will also pick a 1:00 meeting spot near dining, if folks eat elsewhere and want to meet-up or switch groups. The first couple are listed here, and there will be updates for other days.

• Lunch meet-up for the first Snowbird day (Sunday) is at The Summit at the top of the tram. 1:00 meeting spot will be on Path to Paradise off the patio
1676691868255.png
  • Lunch meet-up for the first Alta day (Monday) will be at Alf's restaurant, above the base of Sugarloaf lift near the base of Supreme lift. 1:00 meetup will be just outside toward Supreme (the uphill side)​
1676692327275.png

GUIDES AND GROUPS
We typically try to sort into groups (for those that want to) in the morning or after lunch for those at similar skill levels. If you're joining a group, please be realistic about assessing your ability with regards to the group you belong in. Some terrain can be downright gnarly so please consider your physical condition, ability to ski a given trail (as opposed to “able to get down it”) and whether your gear fits the conditions if it’s a significant powder day. You can change groups, but that can be difficult once everyone is out on the the hill.

• Intermediate- You prefer groomed terrain and avoid moguls if possible. You may avoid powder and terrain like glades and narrow runs.
  • Upper Intermediate- You are comfortable on Intermediate (blue) terrain and will ski groomed (black) single diamond terrain. You may venture off into some powder on the edge of the trail or on easier runs. Not a big fan of moguls, but you can work your way through them. You may like to explore easier trees on Intermediate runs.
  • Advanced - You generally ski the whole mountain. You can make your way through the vast majority of snow and terrain conditions but still may need to pay attention (vs just being on auto-pilot) in bumps, treed terrain, or chutes. Intermediate terrain is for getting back to the lifts. It’s black and double black diamond for you.
  • Expert - Anywhere / Anytime. You want to go where the others aren’t, and won't be holding anyone back. You ski chutes, steep trees, bumps, and all conditions.

Intermediate groups will likely have guides - members familiar with the mountain - to help with lift and run selection and to keep safe and having fun.

Advanced and expert groups will likely be self guided (though often members may be familiar with the mountain).

We would like to get guides with most groups, but it's done on a volunteer basis, so it depends on who is willing to step up, and how many gatherers are familiar with the mountain. This is why the upper level groups will likely need to be “self guided”. We have done this successfully in the past by mixing new comers to the areas with those who are familiar with the area they are skiing that day.

(Note, if you know the mountains and are willing to guide, please PM @dbostedo)

LIFT TICKETS
If you don't have lift ticket plans, many Gatherers will come with Ikon or Mountain Collective passes, which are great options. (Note that you will need the full Ikon pass for Alta/Snowbird access, as the base pass only includes Snowbird). Ikon also includes Deer Valley, Snowbasin, Solitude, and Brighton. The MCP has Alta and Snowbird, and also includes Snowbasin. For more details, see https://www.ikonpass.com/, and https://mountaincollective.com/ .

Note that if you're on Ikon, no reservations are needed for Alta or Snowbird (or Snowbasin, Solitude, or Deer Valley, should you plan to ski those). Reservations ARE needed for Brighton, so if you plan to attend the alternate Solitude/Brighton day on the 2nd, you'll need to make a reservation on the Ikon site.

AIRPORTS
Most people will fly into Salt Lake City airport, which is a short drive or shuttle to Alta/Snowbird, or other local areas for lodging.

LODGING
The two main areas to stay are either in Little Cottonwood Canyon at Alta or Snowbird, or down out of the canyon, at numerous possible places. Staying up in the canyon can be expensive, but avoids any potential issues with commuting up in the morning (road closures when there's heavy snow are common). Staying down in the SLC suburbs can be a lot cheaper, is still easy, but requires a commute each day.

ROLL CALL
If you are planning to come, please add yourself to the roll-call here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/official-2023-national-gathering-utah-roll-call.28128/

I hope to see a lot of folks I've skied with before, and meet a lot of new people too!! See you in Utah!!

AT THE GATHERING

There will be a thread for everyone to post pics and reports from their days at the Gathering to come - that will be opened and linked here as we get close to the Gathering.

And for anyone that doesn't know me and wants to find me, I'll look like this (pants color subject to change):

Vail 121122 129 ACR Conv.jpg

:snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow:

Utah Gathering 031018 088 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Catherine's area at Alta, March 2018

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was just looking at lodging at booking lodging through Snowbird and it's actually cheaper to book lodging that includes lift tickets than the same lodging without them. :eek: Room/lift packages start at ~$400/night and one with a kitchen for under $500. Not too bad if you split it between 2 people considering you get lift tickets, airport transport and won't need a car. It's $50-$100 more a night for a room only.:rolleyes: I kind of wish I hadn't bought an IKON pass.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I would like to take a group over for a day (or two) to do the Solitude-Brighton combo. In the proper conditions it's fun and easy to tour both in one day and they are on the Ikon Pass.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ll be splitting our trip across the MA school vacation and the beginning of the Gathering. We’re going to ski at Solitude and Brighton Wednesday and Thursday before moving up to GMD on Friday for the first three days of the Gathering. We skied Solitude and Brighton last trip and had a lot of fun but didn’t ski as much terrain as I’d have liked.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish the forum had an edit function for older posts.

I decided I didn’t want to deal with the logistical hassle with the truck rental, moving hotels, parking reservations, getting up-canyon, etc so I changed our reservation to be at GMD the entire trip. I did the math with the extra 3 days at GMD vs Midvale and it’s basically a wash financially. The AWD rental was $1,200 alone.

I think deep down I wanted to spend the whole week at GMD anyway ogsmile

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish the forum had an edit function for older posts.

I decided I didn’t want to deal with the logistical hassle with the truck rental, moving hotels, parking reservations, getting up-canyon, etc so I changed our reservation to be at GMD the entire trip. I did the math with the extra 3 days at GMD vs Midvale and it’s basically a wash financially. The AWD rental was $1,200 alone.

I think deep down I wanted to spend the whole week at GMD anyway ogsmile

Same here, although I’ll have my own vehicle.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanted to suggest to UT visitors to consider getting the UDOT Traffic app on your phone to aid in navigating our local highways. Will identify traffic jams and allow you to easily check traffic cameras, see road conditions, canyon road status, and even snow fall at times.

Link here: https://www.udot.utah.gov/connect/current-conditions/traffic-conditions/

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Excellent. We will be in SV during this exact timeframe.

Good to know that there will be no Ski Talkers racing us for first chairs on powder mornings! :roflmao:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Excellent. We will be in SV during this exact timeframe.

Good to know that there will be no Ski Talkers racing us for first chairs on powder mornings! :roflmao:
So you broke the sacred roll call thread protocol to tell us that you would not be on the roll call, and then laugh at us. Boo. :nono: PLUS, you should just come to Utah and save Sun Valley for some time when the fun crowd is not available.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So you broke the sacred roll call thread protocol to tell us that you would not be on the roll call, and then laugh at us. Boo. :nono: PLUS, you should just come to Utah and save Sun Valley for some time when the fun crowd is not available.

Sorry!

Came in late to thread and did not realize the "sacred-ity" of thread. Feel free to delete post.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry!

Came in late to thread and did not realize the "sacred-ity" of thread. Feel free to delete post.
No worries. Already moved.

For those who aren't following, the long-standing convention for roll-call threads - going well back into EpicSki days - is that they're only for the roll-call itself. Discussion goes elsewhere. The rationale for this is that it becomes hard to keep track of who is attending if the attendee list is scatter shot with commentary. Also, it makes the main discussion fragmented if half it is going on in parallel over on the roll call thread.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious how the gathermeisters will decide on resorts. It's like a lot of options. But many just seem to focus on LCC. Is the idea to wait and see how local pass changes affect crowding after the holidays? Potentially how the snowpack is looking?

@Jim Kenney
I was personally thinking to spend a day at each of the BCC areas during the gathering. I think its nice to relax on my staycation. Also looking to get 2-3 days at bird as well.

And will be happy to meet up with people at snowbasin.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been to Brighton and would like a day there, and would welcome a day at Solitude as well. I love Snowbasin, and may spend a day or two there before the Gathering, though could just as easily spend that time at Powder Mt if there's consensus for an "official" Snowbasin day. I could also do a Snowbasin day after the Gathering on my way home.

And then there's this place called Sundance....

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious how the gathermeisters will decide on resorts. It's like a lot of options. But many just seem to focus on LCC.
Count me among those. I would be totally happy to spend every day at AltaBird. At least in terms of terrain and snow. You know, like, for the rest of my life. Who knows, at this point, about traffic and crowds.

I have not yet had a great day at Snowbasin. I'm sure it's luck of the draw.

Solitude and Brighton are pleasant but don't excite me.

The one place I would really like to try is Pow Mow, under the right conditions.

Edit: Acknowledged that I am at the mercy of my condo's designated White Whale Driver, Ahab.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, so apparently DU and I are antipodes in this discussion.

Sponsor