• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to leave it to the gaithermeister to set the official schedule. The beauty of gatherings is we are free to follow or do our own thing. I definitely plan to do a combo solbright day and will be glad to lead anyone who wants to join me for a tour of both resorts in one day.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Count me among those. I would be totally happy to spend every day at AltaBird. At least in terms of terrain and snow. You know, like, for the rest of my life. Who knows, at this point, about traffic and crowds.

I have not yet had a great day at Snowbasin. I'm sure it's luck of the draw.

Solitude and Brighton are pleasant but don't excite me.

The one place I would really like to try is Pow Mow, under the right conditions.

Edit: Acknowledged that I am at the mercy of my condo's designated White Whale Driver, Ahab.
Yep, I love Snowbird. Alta is a close second, and Solitude a third. I have one day lifetime at Deer Valley, so I'd like to revisit it some day. (At the time, Challenger Chute at DV was by far the scariest thing I'd ever skied. I went while my family & friends were eating the then-legendary DV lunch.)
If the road is passable, I'd endorse an all-Atlabird strategy. As many of you know, I'm not a morning person. But I'll get up early to beat the LCC lineup for Snowbird.

I'm considering staying an extra week after the Gathering.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still don’t have my PTO request approved (grr) and I need to find lodging!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Count me among those. I would be totally happy to spend every day at AltaBird. At least in terms of terrain and snow. You know, like, for the rest of my life. Who knows, at this point, about traffic and crowds.

I have not yet had a great day at Snowbasin. I'm sure it's luck of the draw.

Solitude and Brighton are pleasant but don't excite me.

The one place I would really like to try is Pow Mow, under the right conditions.

Edit: Acknowledged that I am at the mercy of my condo's designated White Whale Driver, Ahab.
Not really getting the edit. But I can understand the appeal of LCC.

After 15 years, I never have had a pass at altabird. I ski there a few times a year, some years none times a year. I think its a bit too high maintenance for me, and I don't mean the cost of a pass. Powder is nice, but windbuff is more like home cooking to me.

Snowbasin seems to be much more consistently good and actually skis well even in the worst of winters. I prefer skiing there vs. LCC, when the conditions are poor. And groomer days at snowbasin are nice too.

I also say that looking at how people on this forum recommend powerful and precise feeling AM skis with "just a hint of versatility", I am looking at you, Mantra, Enforcer, Stance, Bonafide... Well there is one resort in UT where this type of ski really shines above literally anywhere else in UT. Snowbasin. Its the power skiing mecca in UT.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to leave it to the gaithermeister to set the official schedule.
Right now I'm thinking 5 days at Park City and one at Sundance... how's that sound to everyone?

I'm open to suggestions/bribes, but most likely is Snowbird, Alta, Snowbird for the first 3 days, then possibly an "official" day somewhere else, then back to Alta.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm open to suggestions/bribes, but most likely is Snowbird, Alta, Snowbird for the first 3 days, then possibly an "official" day somewhere else, then back to Alta.

I'm only attending the first three days so I love that suggestion. Unless someone wants to drive me and Noah from GMD to SolBright ;)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now I'm thinking 5 days at Park City and one at Sundance... how's that sound to everyone?

Sundance is pretty hot right now. ;)

I am good with the plan. Should be a fun start to the gathering.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Guess I was thinking primarily lcc with a an alternate bcc day or 2.
I could be talked into a couple days after at DV and/or snowbasin.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Guess I was thinking primarily lcc with a an alternate bcc day or 2.
I could be talked into a couple days after at DV and/or snowbasin.
I kind of figured a UT gathering is going to be looser than other locations because of the sheer number of options but I'm totally with you on focusing on LCC.

Sponsor

Staff online