• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering (Utah) Roll-call

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks all.

@jmills115 - no snowflake, but M+S means mud and snow. Is it different? I didn't think so, but I'm no tire expert.

@JohnL - thx. I've been driving up and down LCC for years understanding the rules in the graphic below from UDOT. The hotel clerk just spooked me because, like many of us, I don't want to lose any time on the hill because of a travel problem. I think she's mistaken, tbh.

Anyone want a ride?

Hoping to meet some of you tomorrow.

Best,
David

Screenshot_20230226-175853.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226-175853.png
    Screenshot_20230226-175853.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all.

@jmills115 - no snowflake, but M+S means mud and snow. Is it different? I didn't think so, but I'm no tire expert.

@JohnL - thx. I've been driving up and down LCC for years understanding the rules in the graphic below from UDOT. The hotel clerk just spooked me because, like many of us, I don't want to lose any time on the hill because of a travel problem. I think she's mistaken, tbh.

Anyone want a ride?

Best,
David

View attachment 193975
:snow:No it isn’t.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
  1. @dbostedo - Feb 25 - Mar 4
  2. @TheArchitect, Feb 25-27
  3. TheArchitect Junior, Feb 25-27
  4. @Unpiste - Feb 26 - Mar 3
  5. @Weegie - Feb 26 - Mar 3
  6. @Flying Dutchess - Feb 26 - Mar 3
  7. @mdf - Feb 25 - Mar 4. Staying an extra week, ski through Mar 10
  8. @PisteOff - 2/26 - 3/4
  9. @David Chaus Feb 25- March 4 (and maybe a plus one for part of the week).
  10. @tromano and fam, Feb 25 - Mar 6
  11. @AmyPJ for one or more days. Can guide intermediates at Snowbasin.
  12. @utskier for one or more days. Available for private lessons or guided fun for up to five at Snowbasin
  13. @Tony S skiing dates Feb 26 - Mar 4
  14. @John Webb (mdskier) Feb 25-Mar 4
  15. @Andy Mink 25-4
  16. @Wendy Feb 25-Mar 4.
  17. @Quandary - Mar 3-4 (Snow Basin)
  18. @Dean - ski 2/26 - 3/3
  19. @bbinder
  20. @margaritamarcia
  21. @Phelmut - 2/25-3/4 I could've sworn I signed up when the role call was first posted, but my Alzheimer's is getting bad:geek:
  22. @ZionPow - Will be working at Snowbasin Feb 26 - Mar 1. I can meet up and make a few runs or advise and join expert group in the chutes and bowls.
  23. @Johnny V. and Mrs. Johnny V. aka Judy 2/25-3/4
  24. @Gary Stolt aka Garyskr
  25. @Jim Kenney full participant, Vince likely partial participant
  26. @theNitza - Feb 25 - Mar 4
  27. @teejaywhy - Feb 26 - Mar 4 (most likely skiing Mon-Fri)
  28. @AlanR - 3/1-3/4
  29. @SKI-3PO Feb 25 - Mar 5
  30. @JohnL - days TBD
  31. @Wasatchman one or more days depending soreness from injury recovery
  32. @Stephen
  33. @Pumba - ski dates Feb.27-Mar.3
  34. @Chickenmonkey - Ski dates Feb 27-March 2nd
  35. @Teled
  36. @raniljs
  37. @Philpug
  38. @Tricia
  39. @Spooky haven't skied this year, but any Alta storm day and I'm in.
  40. @Rainbow Jenny, 2/26-3/3. Heard my 3 close partners-in-crime are staying at the Iron Blossoms, gonna crash the party in LLC
  41. @luliski
  42. @dwlighting - New here to SKITALK. Hitting ALTA on the way back home from a business trip for 2/27-3/1. Would love to have some ski buddies. Intermediate, bordering on Advanced Intermediate by the definition in the main thread. Longtime ALTA skier. Best, David
  43. @SkiDB - Skiing dates February 26th - March 4
  44. @KingGrump
  45. Mamie
  46. @Near Nyquist
  47. @silverback —I’ll be at Alta Monday morning but have an apt in the afternoon so won’t mess up a group. Planning to ski my wood-top Pescados on Albion/Supreme/Sugarloaf side. Orange jacket/green pants. Give a shout if you see me, I’m happy to share some of my lines. ;)

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll be at Alta Monday morning but have an apt in the afternoon so won’t mess up a group.
Hope to see you there! And I think it's impossible to "mess up a group" if you do want to make the morning meetup. We're not that organized! :ogbiggrin:

silverback

Skier
Hope to see you there! And I think it's impossible to "mess up a group" if you do want to make the morning meetup. We're not that organized! :ogbiggrin:
I’m parking at Albion. If you get disorganized early and take the tow rope. Look for me in the single line on Sunnyside. If anyone needs a guide to get oriented on that side and want to ski mostly lower-angle untracked/trees at a decent clip… You can pm me too.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m parking at Albion. If you get disorganized early and take the tow rope. Look for me in the single line on Sunnyside. If anyone needs a guide to get oriented on that side and want to ski mostly lower-angle untracked/trees at a decent clip… You can pm me too.
Hi. What time are you meeting at Albion? I'd be interested in your itinerary.
Best,
David

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all.

Anyone want a ride?

Best,
David

View attachment 193975
You're legal, weather you will be ok...

silverback

Skier
Hi. What time are you meeting at Albion? I'd be interested in your itinerary.
Best,
David
Just pulled into the lot. 8:30am. Looks like I’m early. Easy drive today. I’ll be in line at Sunnyside by 845 or so.

silverback

Skier
I pm’ed my number and saved a seat on fourth chair but must have missed you. Hope you had fun, it was a Great morning!

E14F9B48-ABDD-4C6E-89B5-478988BC6C3E.jpeg

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi friends. I popped into the Peruvian bar but I don't see any of you here right now. I'm going to head down the canyon before the roads get crazy.

Thank you so much for an absolutely amazing day! Outstanding group!

Would love to connect regarding plans for tomorrow.

I'm staying down in cottonwood heights, and I have a car if anyone needs a ride pending plans.

Thanks so much talk soon

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
At hotel - did my usual rent an AWD LCC approved vehicle, but desk clerk says with the deep snow coming chains required as well. Debating SKI BUS or go buy chains. Anyone else staying at the HYATT PLACE COTTONWOOD?

Advice?

Thx!
You’re fine. Don’t buy chains for a rental AWD. M+S are adequate and pass in both Utah and CA. Optimized for grip off road.

Snow tires with snowflake symbol are a bit better in snow. I think Oregon requires snowflake.

My AWD has M+S AND also snowflake. These are rare. When I bought it in Auburn CA it had M+S only so I asked I asked if it would pass chain checkpoints. They did not know I said I would not buy it. They let me call CALTRANS as I was new to CA. Passes so I bought the Highlander.
Udot lists tire & car survival gear suggestions. The amusing one was “ A driver experienced in driving in snow” lol
You’re fine. Don’t brake hard coming down
and leave good room in front.

I got @Jim Kenney down from Alta yesterday with out killing him !

Last edited by a moderator:

Unbalanced

Booting up
Skier
Hello skitalk community,

I am going to be in SLC from 03/12 to 03/25. Plan is to hit the Ikon resorts with focus on Alta, DV & Solitude. Level: Advanced Expert.
If you are looking for a ski partner, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Sponsor

Staff online