• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2024 National Gathering in Tahoe - March 2 - March 9, 2024

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
2024 National Gathering in Tahoe, March 2 - March 9, 2024

NOTE : This is a living post and will be changed as new information becomes available (last updated 2/19/2024)

Tahoe2024_v2.jpg
3/2/24 UPDATE:
DUE TO DRIVING CONDITIONS THERE WILL BE NO OFFICIAL MEETUP TOMORROW.
Several of us in Reno are likely to be at Mount Rose tomorrow. Some folks will be at Palisades (OV or AM).

We'll likely pick up the Gathering meet-ups on Monday at AM.

It's official... the next National Gathering will be in Tahoe, from March 2nd through March 9th, 2024. It will be centered around Palisades Tahoe, with days at Mount Rose and Diamond Peak likely.

The "usual" rotation would have had us back at Big Sky in 2024. But costs to go to Big Sky for a week have skyrocketed, significantly more than other ski towns/areas/resorts, so we have decided to pivot. It's been quite a while since a Gathering in Tahoe, and Palisades is a wonderful resort to focus on, with relatively easy access and a variety of lodging options in the area. Days at Diamond Peak and Mount Rose are likely to provide some variety and the chance to check out some new places for many of us.

As with all SkiTalk Gatherings, anyone and everyone are welcome, and everyone is responsible for their own travel, lodging, and lift ticket arrangements. Just be there the right week, and plan to meet up and have a great time. Some people come for the whole thing, some just for a few days - it's open to whatever works for you.

CONFIRMED SCHEDULE AND DAILY MEET-UPS
Sunday, March 3rd - Palisades Olympic Valley
Monday, March 4th - Palisades Alpine Meadows
Tuesday, March 5th - Mount Rose (and après at the Pugliese's in Reno)
Wednesday, March 6th - Palisades Olympic Valley
Thursday, March 7th - Diamond Peak
Friday, March 8th - Palisades Alpine Meadows

LIFT TICKETS
Palisades
Palisades is on the Ikon Pass if you have one. If not, buddy tickets may be available at a moderate discount to the window rate from Ikon Pass holder.

Mount Rose
For the Mount Rose day, we are going on Tuesday, so it's "Two'fer Tuesday", or 2 ticket for the price of one. If you can buy two tickets (perhaps by posting in this thread if you need a partner) you can pay half price. You can buy lift tickets here: https://skirose.com/daily-specials/

Diamond Peak
For the Diamond Peak day, we've arranged a discount for SkiTalkers of 40% off the online discount rate. That makes the prices:
  • Adult: $78
  • Youth: $66
  • Senior: $66
  • Child: $30
They can be purchased at: https://shopdp.yourtahoeplace.com/home

Discount Code: SKITALK

Add lift tickets to the cart and then proceed through the Checkout Path. On the “Payment Options” tab of that checkout path, there is a box for “Discounts” – this is where you need to enter code “SKITALK” and hit “apply.” You will see a message that says the code has been applied and the total price in the cart will drop to the discounted amount. Then they just complete the transaction.

Note: This code is only valid on March 7 and PLEASE do not share outside of this group. DP was nice enough to arrange this and we need to follow their request.

GOOD SOURCE FOR WEATHER INFO AT PALISADES TAHOE:
https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/category/weather/

GOOD SOURCES FOR ROAD INFO AROUND NORTH LAKE TAHOE:

For California https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov
For Nevada https://www.nvroads.com

They both have apps for Android/IOS

Twitter/X Resources

Ya gotta log in for this to work !!!!

Chain Control California Side @i80chains, @US50Chains

Caltrans Operations @CaltransDist3

Chp Truckee @CHP_Truckee

Squaw/Alpine operations @palisadesops

MEET-UPS
Morning meet-ups will be as follows - subject to change, so please keep an eye out. Morning meetups are just before the lifts open, so 8:45-9:00, and afternoon about 1:00-1:15.

Palisades Olympic Valley
Morning meet-up will be outside the base Funitel station. That gives nearby access to several lifts depending on where groups want to head.

1707965493800.png

Afternoon meet-up will be outside the top Funitel station, around the downhill side from the exit, as folks may be up-mountain, and not want to come back down to the base.

1707965615227.png

Palisades Alpine Meadows
Alpine Meadows is simpler, as there's a more straight-forward base area. Morning and afternoon meetups will be just outside the main base building slightly downhill from the base area lifts.

1707965932802.png

Mount Rose
In the morning we'll meet in the upstairs cafeteria area of the main lodge, where we'll (presumably - need to confirm) be able to boot up. In the afternoon, we'll meet up here:

1707966560117.png

Diamond Peak
In the morning we'll meet in the upstairs Loft Bar area, where we'll (presumably - need to confirm) be able to boot up. In the afternoon, we'll meet up here:

1707966398077.png

TUESDAY après

CANCELLED - NO après GET TOGETHER TONIGHT

@Philpug and @Tricia will be hosting an après ski after the Mount Rose day, from 4:00 PM-ish - 8:00 PM-ish.

SkiTalk Global Headquarters (aka, P&T's house)
6495 Yellowbird Dr
Reno, NV 89523

This event will be BYOB, and there will be some party trays/food, though not a full meal. (You are welcome to bring snacks/food to share... or bourbon! They do like their bourbon.)

GUIDES AND GROUPS
We typically try to sort into groups (for those that want to) in the morning or after lunch for those at similar skill levels. This can be very informal, but if you want to ski with a particular level, please speak up or ask around.

If you're joining a group, please be realistic about assessing your ability with regards to the group you belong in. Some terrain can be downright gnarly so please consider your physical condition, ability to ski a given trail (as opposed to “able to get down it”) and whether your gear fits the conditions if it’s a significant powder day. You can change groups, but that can be difficult once everyone is out on the the hill.

• Intermediate- You prefer groomed terrain and avoid moguls if possible. You may avoid powder and terrain like glades and narrow runs.
  • Upper Intermediate- You are comfortable on Intermediate (blue) terrain and will ski groomed (black) single diamond terrain. You may venture off into some powder on the edge of the trail or on easier runs. Not a big fan of moguls, but you can work your way through them. You may like to explore easier trees on Intermediate runs.
  • Advanced - You generally ski the whole mountain. You can make your way through the vast majority of snow and terrain conditions but still may need to pay attention (vs just being on auto-pilot) in bumps, treed terrain, or chutes. Intermediate terrain is for getting back to the lifts. It’s black and double black diamond for you.
  • Expert - Anywhere / Anytime. You want to go where the others aren’t, and won't be holding anyone back. You ski chutes, steep trees, bumps, and all conditions.

Intermediate groups will likely have guides - members familiar with the mountain - to help with lift and run selection and to keep safe and having fun. Advanced and expert groups will likely be self guided (though often members may be familiar with the mountain).

We would like to get guides with groups, but it's done on a volunteer basis, so it depends on who is willing to step up, and how many gatherers are familiar with the mountain. This is why the upper level groups will likely need to be “self guided”. We have done this successfully in the past by mixing new comers to the areas with those who are familiar with the area they are skiing that day.

(Note, if you know the mountains and are willing to guide, please PM @dbostedo)

ROLL CALL
If you're planning to come, please add yourself to the roll-call thread here:

Hope to see everyone there!!

A few pics from my last trip to Palisades...

Squalpine 041621 065 ACR Conv.jpg Squalpine 041621 004 ACR Conv.jpg Squalpine 041621 037 ACR Conv.jpg Squalpine 041621 118 ACR Conv.jpg Squalpine 041621 133 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

And a few Diamond Peak and Mount Rose pics from Phil and Tricia...

IMG_2403.jpeg
IMG_4901.jpeg
IMG_2218.jpeg

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bucket list resort since I was a teenager in the 80’s. This really messes with my original plans for next season!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In a good way?
Yes, in a good way. Now I have to plan for two trips out west instead of one. I’d much rather ski Pallisades with fellow SkiTalkers than go by myself so if the Gathering is there next year then so am I.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree on the Big Sky/Bozeman flight situation…..was planning on Big Sky next Easter until I/we looked at flights from here on the EC…with that said, we are changing plans for Easter 24’…

Nice decision...I’ll join along one of these years…always enjoy your reports.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Sky/Bozeman flight situation
FWIW, not that it matters now, it was actually much more of a lodging situation, though flights factored in, as well as a few other considerations.

Reactions: BC.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh crap...tahoe, Italy, tahoe, Italy.....March vs September....
Tahoe - pass paid, travel points, English, good food, great skiing...
Italy - travel points, racing, good food, overnight flight (not good)....might not make the team to go....(CCWC)
Free place to stay … you are welcome at our house which also negates the need for a car!
@SkiBam too!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking forward to this, my only time skiing in the Tahoe area was my first Gathering, so I’ve only had one day at Alpine and one day at Olympic Valley, and it was a storm day so the Tram and Funitel weren’t running, and it took half the day for KT22 to open, so it was mostly Exhibition and Resort Chair. So I‘ve barely scratched the surface (skied the surface?).

So, do I use my Worldmark credits at a condo in downtown Reno, or find someplace closer like Truckee or Tahoe City?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, do I use my Worldmark credits at a condo in downtown Reno, or find someplace closer like Truckee or Tahoe City?
Reno's a fairly long drive from Palisades (~45 mins), and over a pass that can have some weather issues. Personally, I think that's too far for me, but of course YMMV.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
45 minutes to an hour is a way better drive for skiing than I’m used to, though farther than I’d ideally want for a ski vacation (without being slopeside or in a village). I could live with it.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are pretty familiar with it, as is @Andy Mink and @Pat AKA mustski, it's not that bad and as far as weather, I'd rather come from Reno than say Tahoe Donner.
Yes, it’s an easy drive the majority of days. Weekday traffic is not an issue and you have the advantage of lots of nightlife choices.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January