• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2024 National Gathering in Tahoe - March 2 - March 9, 2024

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It is beyond disappointing that this decision wasn't announced earlier. I purchased a Mountain Collective pass for 2024 in preparation for the 2024 gathering being in Big Sky per the "Rotation." Unfortunately not a single Tahoe area resort is on the Mountain Collective pass. I guess my options are to now buy an Ikon pass at very high summer prices, pay the ticket counter rate, or miss the gathering.

Next year can the gathering location please be announced while passes are still on the spring sale? I had to pull the trigger and make a decision, and I simply got left out by this late decision to switch to Lake Tahoe. The Mountain Collective pass is a much easier sell for someone like me who doesn't have Ikon locations near by, and all previous gathering destinations have been on the Mountain Collective.
They made the decision and started the thread earlier than any previous year.:huh: It's been no secret for the last few years that the gatherings will mostly be focused on Ikon destinations.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is beyond disappointing that this decision wasn't announced earlier. I purchased a Mountain Collective pass for 2024 in preparation for the 2024 gathering being in Big Sky per the "Rotation." Unfortunately not a single Tahoe area resort is on the Mountain Collective pass. I guess my options are to now buy an Ikon pass at very high summer prices, pay the ticket counter rate, or miss the gathering.

Next year can the gathering location please be announced while passes are still on the spring sale? I had to pull the trigger and make a decision, and I simply got left out by this late decision to switch to Lake Tahoe. The Mountain Collective pass is a much easier sell for someone like me who doesn't have Ikon locations near by, and all previous gathering destinations have been on the Mountain Collective.
We are sorry. While the previous 4 locations were pre determined, there was nothing ever said that it would continue in perpetuity. The landscape has changed in the past few years and costs at resorts like Big Sky have gone up significantly and we felt that an alternate region would be more financially palatable for the group as a whole.

SkiDB

Putting on skis
Skier
We are sorry. While the previous 4 locations were pre determined, there was nothing ever said that it would continue in perpetuity. The landscape has changed in the past few years and costs at resorts like Big Sky have gone up significantly and we felt that an alternate region would be more financially palatable for the group as a whole.
Thank you Phil, I understand that making group decisions are difficult and there is no perfect fit for everyone. I also appreciate the inclusion of the independent resorts. Skiing is simply much better with lighter crowds as evidenced by the once in a lifetime Sundance day last year. Independent resorts, in my experience, just have a much better atmosphere and it feels like they foster sustainable, fun skiing.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier

If you don't buy the IKON for the gathering, would it be cheaper to use other people's "buddy" discounts and the 2 for 1 at Rose? It might not be worth your while for only a few days of skiing but just a thought..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess my options are to now buy an Ikon pass at very high summer prices, pay the ticket counter rate, or miss the gathering.
Sorry to hear. I hate it when inefficiencies happen too. Not to kick you when you are down, but just wanted to throw out some more ideas for you to consider:

There is also option to buy the iKon session pass for only the 2to4 days that you want. That will be closest to the lowest 4day perday price avail ($469 ~$117/day), and cheaper than window/buddy pass rates (25% off $229/$249/$269 rack rate=$170+/day)

Also, based on history, in fall through at least Dec, there should also be a Palisades-only 4pack up for sale even after iKon sales stop, but that will likely not be better than current pricing on ikon 4pack. That will be the best option if you want to ski exactly 4days and are a last minute planner (maybe ~$130 to ~$160/day).
This may morph to a 3pack at some time in early Spring after pres. day ski week, maybe in time, but may not be significantly cheaper per day (maybe up to $20 less), more about just less days. That's really threading the needle though.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you don't buy the IKON for the gathering, would it be cheaper to use other people's "buddy" discounts and the 2 for 1 at Rose? It might not be worth your while for only a few days of skiing but just a thought..
Buddy discounts don't amount to much. You can usually do better pre purchasing lift tickets online, especially for week days.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing is simply much better with lighter crowds as evidenced by the once in a lifetime Sundance day last year. Independent resorts, in my experience, just have a much better atmosphere and it feels like they foster sustainable, fun skiing.
I think you will enjoy Diamond Peak and Mt. Rose then. Also note that Sugar Bowl is on the Mountian Collective which is another smaller resort that you could spend a day or two at so you might not have to get an Ikon pass, I am sure someone will gladly supply you with buddy passes forthe days that you choose to ski Palisades Tahoe.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugar bowl also has a season pass sales cap, and likely will not suffer the overcrowding issues that will happen at PT on weekends (mainly the commute and jam for parking).

Also note that Friday is the new Saturday, so fri will also be impacted by crowds, especially on a powder day.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Buddy discounts don't amount to much. You can usually do better pre purchasing lift tickets online, especially for week days.
You can have it all.
Since there isn't a timing factor for the friends and family discount, once you're committed to ski that date, you can check online price and just go with your lowest price option.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier

I also purchased a Mountain Collective for next season and one of the biggest motivating factors was a local resort, Sugar Bowl. I even chose them for my bonus free third day. I would be happy to ski with you and others at Sugar Bowl. (I also decided to use a Mountain Collective alternated every other season with an Ikon as a more economical move, but this can and should be discussed in a separate thread if so desired.)

I also will have season passes at Mt. Rose and Diamond Peak for a third consecutive season. I would be happy to join others and show them around. Both are special places with a warm, welcoming local vibe. The Chutes at Mt. Rose offer up some legendary steep double-black diamond terrain. Diamond Peak may be considered a smaller resort, but it skis much bigger than it is, especially if you are adventurous and enjoy tree skiing.

Feel free to ask any questions about other Tahoe resorts as well. (I have been a resident of Northern Nevada for 31 years and some might say this would be long enough to be considered a local.)
P.S. I also have the Tahoe Local flavor Epic pass for next season as well.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

Next year can the gathering location please be announced while passes are still on the spring sale? I had to pull the trigger and make a decision, and I simply got left out by this late decision to switch to Lake Tahoe.
Sugar Bowl is by itself on some kind of stripped down version on Mountain Collective . Good for 1/2 price at other MCP areas. Don’t get the 2 free days. I don’t know how it works in reverse (You have MCP elsewhere) if you visit Sugar Bowl.
Edit: @Stev just posted an answer but we may need verification.
Another option ( May not be offered) is most every year PT offers a “4 pack” at a much lower rate than the buddy passes. They do this late season & sometimes early season. First week of Mar could be blacked out due to being high season.

Last edited:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More Sugar Bowl photos from today. Although the resort closed on Sunday 4/30/23, we skinned up for a glorious view and for some quiet powder turns. The Pacific Crest (hiking) Trail passes nearby and you get a grand view of the chain of Sierra Nevada peaks to the south.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This will be my first-time skiing and visiting the Tahoe area. I'm excited! I've booked my flight, car rental and place to stay in Tahoe City. The place I booked to stay has three bedrooms. Chances are @Dean and I will be staying together again. There will be one bedroom available from 3/1-3/10. Cost will be approximately $600 each, if anyone else is interested get in touch with me.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I'm in. This will be my 4th ski trip to the Tahoe area.
Looking forward to actually seeing Palisades Olympic (the one time I was there it was snowing 3" per hour, visibility was minimal). I have yet to do Diamond Peak, would also like to add Homewood. And possibly Sierra at Tahoe, see how it's recovering from the fires.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
the one time I was there it was snowing 3" per hour, visibility was minimal)
Yeah... that can happen. My first day there only the lower mountain and Funitel were running. And taking the Funitel turned out to be a stupid idea - low vis, I'd never been up there, and I was by myself. I could see enough to follow the lift lines and find some trail signs, but it was a PITA.

I took these pics near the bottom of Mountain Run (well below the low vis altitude) on consecutive days.... much nicer skiing in the sun the second day, and the storm produced like 8-12".

California Skiing 032416 2 Day Comp.jpg

Last edited: