• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2024 National Gathering in Tahoe - March 2 - March 9, 2024

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keyhole at Alpine Meadows was filled with wind-buffed today. I was on my Voile touring setup with scales.

Really good snow.

IMG_8837.jpeg
IMG_8863.jpeg IMG_3419.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_8837.jpeg
Impressive!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've been married for 31 years. Am I supposed to know this?

She's enjoyed massages that have cost more than Vail's lift tickets. Shopping always works. She liked Main St. in PC as well as the town of Steamboat. She would have enjoyed the rest of our Aspen trip if she didn't end up in two full leg braces her first day out at Snowmass. I'm sure she'd spend some time gambling, but she says she has to be in the right mood for that.
It sort of depends on your budget. If you want to be close to the resorts, stay at Olympic Village at Palisades. There will be a full spa experience and “some” shopping. But it costs $$$$ and she may get bored after a couple of days. Staying in Reno offers more for her to do, but it won’t have the ski vibe. Personally, I really like the Atlantis resort. The restaurants are great and I love the spa! Without a car though, it’s likely to be just as limiting as OV.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Keyhole at Alpine Meadows was filled with wind-buffed today. I was on my Voile touring setup with scales.

Really good snow.

View attachment 203165
View attachment 203166 View attachment 203167
WoW Jenny
You're awarded GNAR points

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
It is beyond disappointing that this decision wasn't announced earlier. I purchased a Mountain Collective pass for 2024 in preparation for the 2024 gathering being in Big Sky per the "Rotation." Unfortunately not a single Tahoe area resort is on the Mountain Collective pass. I guess my options are to now buy an Ikon pass at very high summer prices, pay the ticket counter rate, or miss the gathering.

Next year can the gathering location please be announced while passes are still on the spring sale? I had to pull the trigger and make a decision, and I simply got left out by this late decision to switch to Lake Tahoe. The Mountain Collective pass is a much easier sell for someone like me who doesn't have Ikon locations near by, and all previous gathering destinations have been on the Mountain Collective.
So sorry that it worked this way for you. I can tell you that much thought and research went it to this decision. Although it was not my decision and probably not my first choice, it became apparent that Big sky lodging was going to be too pricey for many if not most of us. I will likely have a few unsused buddy passes offering 25% discount if that would help. Hope to see you on the hill.
I'm getting excited to ski Palisades, Alpine Meadows and Mt Rose again. And will also add Diamond Peak to the list.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Sorry to hear. I hate it when inefficiencies happen too. Not to kick you when you are down, but just wanted to throw out some more ideas for you to consider:

There is also option to buy the iKon session pass for only the 2to4 days that you want. That will be closest to the lowest 4day perday price avail ($469 ~$117/day), and cheaper than window/buddy pass rates (25% off $229/$249/$269 rack rate=$170+/day)

Also, based on history, in fall through at least Dec, there should also be a Palisades-only 4pack up for sale even after iKon sales stop, but that will likely not be better than current pricing on ikon 4pack. That will be the best option if you want to ski exactly 4days and are a last minute planner (maybe ~$130 to ~$160/day).
This may morph to a 3pack at some time in early Spring after pres. day ski week, maybe in time, but may not be significantly cheaper per day (maybe up to $20 less), more about just less days. That's really threading the needle though.

Absolutely would like to attend. Gee I skied Squaw bumps for years, decades ago for what...$15 or so a day. As a retired senior, every day I wake up is Saturday with the government paying me $40k each year to do nothing. But as another frugal senior of limited means with the EPIC Tahoe Local Pass, that was only $425 for the whole season, will not spend money for utterly ridiculous walk up ticket prices. $170 Buddy Ticket prices... :(
PT should instead hire me to help make better shaped rec bumps haha.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So sorry that it worked this way for you. I can tell you that much thought and research went it to this decision. Although it was not my decision and probably not my first choice, it became apparent that Big sky lodging was going to be too pricey for many if not most of us. I will likely have a few unsused buddy passes offering 25% discount if that would help. Hope to see you on the hill.
I'm getting excited to ski Palisades, Alpine Meadows and Mt Rose again. And will also add Diamond Peak to the list.
@Gary Stolt, thank you for always being a gracious member of this crew. I’ll get half-off vouchers for Palisades/Alpine Meadows by late December. Let me know if I can help.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
@Gary Stolt, thank you for always being a gracious member of this crew. I’ll get half-off vouchers for Palisades/Alpine Meadows by late December. Let me know if I can help.
Thank you miss jenny,
I have the ikon however skiDB might be looking for tics?
I look forward to skiing with you. You always have a smile.

SkiDB

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks @raytseng for the Ikon Session pass recommendation. That looks like a great and reasonable option. It also lets me use any unused days at Mt. Bachelor which I always hit up in the spring.

Thanks @Gary Stolt for offering use of your Buddy passes and reminding me that Big Sky would have been more expensive overall. You are always the voice of reason! I look forward to skiing with you at Tahoe!

I've had a chance to think this all over and have become incredibly excited for the Tahoe gathering! It's been nearly 20 years since I've been to Palisades and it is a place I truly enjoyed.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having moved to Vegas has made the driving part of skiing soooo much better. Not perfect, but much better. Pallisades is just under 8 hours for me. The Taos drive remains the same as it was from DFW at 11 hrs. SLC is 6 hrs. Mammoth 5. Snowmass 9. Jackson 10.5. These were previously 14-26 hr drives from DFW and before that 21-34 hrs from Detroit. So in the last 5 years I’ve cut my drive times by up to 75% saving literally 2 days of drive time per trip. That’s 2 extra days of skiing, 6 tanks of fuel, and 2 nights lodging per trip. :yahoo: This is going to be a great year.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Having moved to Vegas has made the driving part of skiing soooo much better. Not perfect, but much better. Pallisades is just under 8 hours for me. The Taos drive remains the same as it was from DFW at 11 hrs. SLC is 6 hrs. Mammoth 5. Snowmass 9. Jackson 10.5. These were previously 14-26 hr drives from DFW and before that 21-34 hrs from Detroit. So in the last 5 years I’ve cut my drive times by up to 75% saving literally 2 days of drive time per trip. That’s 2 extra days of skiing, 6 tanks of fuel, and 2 nights lodging per trip. :yahoo: This is going to be a great year.
Likely less than an hour to ski Lee Canyon too.

Sponsor

Staff online