• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah OFFICIAL National Gathering Sundance Trip Report and Pics, "BEST DAY EVER"

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, that was some of the best snow of the day, hidden in plain site. And steep. Right at the top of the base lift, Marmot Gulch. Was my lunch run and we hit it twice right after lunch after @Philpug said, lets not leave good snow…
Marmot Gulch was a good run. I lapped it repeatedly between 4 and 5 pm.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those who asked who they could thank, Blain Wilkey at Sundance along with his new assistant Annie Blain's e-mail is here:

We don't have Annie's e-mail but I am sure he will share your comments with her.

Also Ralene Davis at SkiUtah for supplying the shirts. Here is her e-mail:

Again, for those who didn't make Sundance, we will have (limited) T-shirts and luggage tags at Brighton Milli lodge later this AM.

Please CC us in the e-mails

Thank everyone who attended. We were happy to be a part of so many "best days ever" with you.

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely one of the best ever days at Sundance yesterday. Snowflakes gently falling all day long, no wind, no lines. Plenty of untracked to be found.

Very chill vibe up there. Great food as well and reasonably priced. I went for the Andy Mink special ( loaded tots).

Many thanks to the Pugs and Blaine at Sundance for hosting us.

Don't know who this guy is but he liked the weather so much, he sat outside at lunch.
PXL_20230301_193210936.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where is the video that Annie took?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@SKI-3PO , @Philpug , @Tony S ,@David Chaus , others,

Does anyone remember where that little tree shot was that Annie video taped us at Sundance? Was that off Flathead lift or Reds Lift?
Annie and David:
annie david 1 march.jpg

Also, that nice powdery glade that Scott took us to from summit of Bishop's Bowl where I took photos, was it Jamie's run or Shauna's Secret?

Scott's secret glade:
scott's glade 1 march.jpg

Thanks, Jim

FYI, Sundance trail map: https://www.sundanceresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/winter-trail-map-v9.pdf

PS: I have so many dang pictures from this week. If it would quit snowing out here maybe I could stop skiing and look at them and post more??

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
PS: I have so many dang pictures from this week. If it would quit snowing out here maybe I could stop skiing and look at them and post more??

I'm now safely back home and finding time to post photos. It's a cure to your problem, Jim, but probably not the one you're looking for...

It was an indeed an awesome day at Sundance - we got lucky in so many ways. Thanks again to Phil and Tricia for making that happen. I will definitely have Sundance on my list for a return visit!

This was the liftline for the main lift at 9.10 on a powder day - I kid you not

IMG-1449.jpg

And this was what you got access to. It was my first day skiing, so I jumped out a little ahead of the group and got some first tracks down shin-deep powder in Bishop's Bowl. I needed to remind myself to stop, relax and enjoy it - because I had the time!
IMG-1452.jpg

@mdf enjoying similar a little later in the morning, in Grizzly Bowl, I think
IMG-1455.jpg

The morning went by in similar fashion. In the afternoon, I was lagging a bit, so dropped off from the main group to explore at a slower pace. Which led me to these little gems, high up on skiers left above the exit gully from Bishop's
IMG-1471.jpg

There are five pipeline gullies, and I lapped them all from the Flathead lift, each one a delight. At 3pm in the afternoon, I was still finding deep untracked snow, on a slope with great pitch and some small trees to keep it even more interesting. This was typical of the snow I was finding
IMG-1480.jpg IMG-1481.jpg

I resorted to taking photos of random skiers to show how nice the snow was there

IMG-1483.jpg
IMG-1486.jpg

This is looking up towards Bishops Bowl, with the gullies all down to the left of where the people are standing (you can see the gate just beyond them)
IMG-1488.jpg

At the end of the afternoon, I connected with @SKI-3PO and @SkiDB for a final run of the day. This is what we found on the way down (at 3.45pm...)

IMG-1496.jpg
IMG-1503.jpg IMG-1506.jpg

And some sunshine and views to finish it all up. What a day!
IMG-1508.jpg

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks great! Did they close the mountain for you skitalkers or is it always that unoccupied?

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone remember where that little tree shot was that Annie video taped us at Sundance? Was that off Flathead lift or Reds Lift?
It was off of Red’s lift. We dropped in skiers left at tower 12.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Looks great! Did they close the mountain for you skitalkers or is it always that unoccupied?
No, it was just a regular, midweek day, albeit in a season with plenty of other good days to choose from.

Sponsor

Staff online