• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Guy In Idaho

ThePlumber

Booting up
Skier
I just moved here, Caldwell Idaho, from So Ca. I went skiing for the first time since my teens last week. I had more fun than I can convey. It's been a long time since I felt that good. Now since I'm 70 minutes from the doorstep to the slopes, my dream of skiing again is now doable. Back in So Ca. Big Bear's Snow summit was the only game in town for me, and you talk about significant crowds and long lift lines, etc, plus the traffic takes the fun out. I'm 63 and a semi-retired plumber. I learned so much about plumbing and drain work through forums such as these so her I am to look for advice on gear etc. Thanks for all those who contribute. It makes a big difference.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just moved here, Caldwell Idaho, from So Ca. I went skiing for the first time since my teens last week. I had more fun than I can convey. It's been a long time since I felt that good. Now since I'm 70 minutes from the doorstep to the slopes, my dream of skiing again is now doable. Back in So Ca. Big Bear's Snow summit was the only game in town for me, and you talk about significant crowds and long lift lines, etc, plus the traffic takes the fun out. I'm 63 and a semi-retired plumber. I learned so much about plumbing and drain work through forums such as these so her I am to look for advice on gear etc. Thanks for all those who contribute. It makes a big difference.
Welcome aboard ThePlumber, whether any skiing question you have has an answer or not, you will get dozens to choose from here. Let me be the first to chime in: marry your boots date your skis. Boots, properly fitted by a reputable fitter is money well spent and will add to your enjoyment. Rock on!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! Where did you go skiing @ThePlumber?

You might be interested in the seasonal thread for your region, if you haven't found it already:

TS
T

ThePlumber

Booting up
Skier
marry your boots date your skis.
Thank you. Yes I heard that saying while I considered buying a pair. They only had two options. The option I was considering was clamping quite hard around my heel. He was fitting me for performance. I was concerned they may be a smidgen to tight. If I read about one person who bought a pair that thought they were to tight but broke in later then I might pull the trigger. But only 2 choices?. I don't have a problem waiting for good deals on skis but I want boots now.
Welcome! Where did you go skiing @ThePlumber?
Bogus Basin. The day after 5 inches feel the night before.
You might be interested in the seasonal thread for your region, if you haven't found it already:

Thank you very much

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm sure someone here can point you to an expert bootfitter within reasonable driving distance.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
That fit could be right. I'm in new boots and can only wear 1 type of sock right now. Anything thicker and I'm in pain. But another couple of weekends and it should be good. The liners get comfortable in no time and the model they may have put you in might be heat moldable. Shops won't do that, till you've handed over the money.

And :wave:

TS
T

ThePlumber

Booting up
Skier
That fit could be right. I'm in new boots and can only wear 1 type of sock right now. Anything thicker and I'm in pain. But another couple of weekends and it should be good. The liners get comfortable in no time and the model they may have put you in might be heat moldable. Shops won't do that, till you've handed over the money.

Thank you. After about 15 minutes I took them off and my socks. I had red "hot spots" around the sides of my heel, not the back of my heel but the sides. It's like I'm so close to buying but,,,, more research tells me if I'm worried then maybe not the right boot. And the fact he only had two pairs in my size maybe wonder if sales were more important.

TS
T

ThePlumber

Booting up
Skier
But another couple of weekends and it should be good. The liners get comfortable in no time,,,,,,,

I would love to know how your feet feel after a couple more weekends,,,
And not to be snarky,,,, how long is no time. I'm going to look at some boots tommorow.
Thank you very much for your time.

Sponsor

Staff online