• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old School Straight Skiing Question.

obercski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey everyone.
I have a few questions here. I’ve been skiing since I was 5. In the 80s. Learned in straight skis. Like everyone else I graduated to the shake skis in 2000s.

To tell you the truth they are just not as fun for me. I just love skiing in the old school form, legs together etc. I have sentimental reasons too.

So I decided to take two of my straights out of retirement. Rossi 4s and Rossi STS. Both 200cm.

My first question is what bindings should I get for them. I’m not risking skiing in the bj ding in them now.

My second question isthat I also want to buy a new pair of skis. But I want them to be as close to straights as possible and a pair that will allow me to ski old school style.

So far my searches have lead me to:

1. Folsom TRN TEK 201 CM https://www.folsomskis.com/product/trn-tek

2. Rossingol Hero FIS GS R21 WC 2018 200cm

3. Dynastar Twister

4. A black pair of Rossi’s the nave I can’t remember.

Any old school skiers have any suggestions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll play. Most any race bindings for the straight skis or ideally a good throwback will be a Look Pivot 15 in the Raw with the 75mm brake.

The strightest thing you will find will be either a GS ski or a true mogul ski.

TS
obercski

obercski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yeah. The twister is a mogul ski and the Rissingol Hero is a GS.

But do they ski the same as the straights?

The Folsom’s seem to be there own u inquest thing. Where straights would have advanced to if given the chance.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Folsom’s seem to be there own u inquest thing. Where straights would have advanced to if given the chance.

They kinda did. The TRN Tek sidecut is directly comparable to first-generation (97-98) shapes. And to later (~2000) touring/tele shapes.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What you're not going to get with the straighter modern skis, (FIS Men's GS is actually 35m) is the center base groove that skis of the 70s and early 80s had. Modern skis are not happy striaghtlining for any period of time. They are only happy on edge turning. That's the main thing that will differ ultimately, even with a 40 meter modern ski over an 80 meter older ski, expecially one with a center groove.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other options is just to find some old straight skis....they can be had fairly reasonable. Or even as @cantunamunch said, some first generation shapes which really are closer to a straight ski anyway.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Lots of hop turns in the above video; part of the old school technique as a lot of those old skis where easiest to turn when they were in the air.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Seeing lots of older stuff here at Tremblant this week. White SX 70!! Poor girl was also doing stem turns.
My Dynastar X9's were my first shaped and I though they were crazy. I have them in a bench and look at them and my current Hero's and wonder how I skied on them.

Keep an eye on eBay etc...

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also was unimpressed when I first demo'd "shaped" skis, the K2 Fours, IIRC. After I learned that they don't like running straight, and required a modification to my technique (translation: I took a few lessons), I reassessed the genre and soon became a convert. I have since experienced multiple generations of the newfangled skis and credit modern design with allowing me to ski more challenging terrain later into the day than my ageing body should rightfully expect. I would never consider going back.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I also was unimpressed when I first demo'd "shaped" skis, the K2 Fours, IIRC. After I learned that they don't like running straight, and required a modification to my technique, I reassessed the genre and soon became a convert. I have since experienced multiple generations of the newfangled skis and credit modern design with allowing me to ski more challenging terrain later into the day than my ageing body should rightfully expect. I would never consider going back.
^^^THIS^^^
A modern ski is harder to ski old school (one ski outside ski) style than an old school ski is. But, a modern ski is way easier to tip and carve (both skis) than an old school ski is. You will be less tired and be able to ski longer sessions once you adapt to the way the modern skis are designed to be skied.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Hmmmm... sometimes I ski the “old way” legs together on the new shaped skis. Have fun with the retro skis and post pictures!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When shaped skis were first introduced I had a job at a ski shop's weekend on mountain demo tent. One day mid week I decided to demo the fleet 2 or 3 runs per ski, all day long. Keep in mind that initially there weren't many high performance shaped skis.

So at the end of the day I am skiing home on my own skis, non shaped 207cm Volkl P10, about the closest thing to a GS racing ski that you could buy off the rack, and I realize that compared to the shaped skis this P10 is a difficult to turn relic and I better sell it while I still can. ( It got replaced by shaped, bright orange, Volkl Race Carvers ogsmile)

Due to the tremendous advances in materials and design in skis since the 70s and 80s, my recommendation for the OP is demo modern skis. There are over 1000 different models of skis brought in to Canada each year and I suspect the same in the US. Not all skis are rockered or dramatically hourglass shaped.

To sum up, imo regardless of a skier's style or technique, old or new, there is a modern ski that will work for you.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey everyone.
I have a few questions here. I’ve been skiing since I was 5. In the 80s. Learned in straight skis. Like everyone else I graduated to the shake skis in 2000s.

To tell you the truth they are just not as fun for me. I just love skiing in the old school form, legs together etc. I have sentimental reasons too.

So I decided to take two of my straights out of retirement. Rossi 4s and Rossi STS. Both 200cm.

My first question is what bindings should I get for them. I’m not risking skiing in the bj ding in them now.

My second question isthat I also want to buy a new pair of skis. But I want them to be as close to straights as possible and a pair that will allow me to ski old school style.

So far my searches have lead me to:

1. Folsom TRN TEK 201 CM https://www.folsomskis.com/product/trn-tek

2. Rossingol Hero FIS GS R21 WC 2018 200cm

3. Dynastar Twister

4. A black pair of Rossi’s the nave I can’t remember.

Any old school skiers have any suggestions?
Guess my name gives it away.

Here is my advice, go shaped, cheater GS, maybe FIS GS if you are a solid old school skier (remember these skis are stiffer both in all directions and need to be skied with authority or they bite you) second a FIS SL ski (just amazingly predictable and lots of fun). And yes, you now need a quiver.

You are in for a bit of relearning, primarily timing & sequence changes slightly). Don’t worry about stance I still ski tight and fairly upright, but as you adapt and adjust you’ll widen out a bit. Once you find the differences you won’t go back.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT ITEM, do not get back seat, old straight skis you could smear out the turn, new shapes will catch and tear your ACL (I came really close and haven’t been back seat since).

Love my old straight race (GS and SL) skis but I won’t give up the new shapes. They really are that much better.

Finally, you can ski the new Rossi’s old school no problems (except back seat, see warning), you’ll have fun, sad part is you won’t max out the fun and potential until you change and adapt.

Max Air

You never get hurt in the air!
Skier
I'll play. Most any race bindings for the straight skis or ideally a good throwback will be a Look Pivot 15 in the Raw with the 75mm brake.

The strightest thing you will find will be either a GS ski or a true mogul ski.
Totally agree. The Look is the closest to that retro look and my binding of choice. I frequently ski straight skis and mogul skis. Phil is spot on with getting a mogul or GS ski. I do like the Twister, but it just depends on how much you like tip/tail stiffness. I think that would be the question to ask?