• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

old volkl P series skis: what's your favourite?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
just curious because they are blue. other various RS volkl i saw were green or red.
wonder what they are

Blue without the rubber tips? Volkl was hedging their bets & I believe that ski was a more traditional cut / euro model than the shapelier red / green variants. Has a pointy tip.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
no rubber tips
they are like 90 at widest on the points and some 62 under the foot. definitively by late '90s "parabolic" skis were allready 95-100 or wider. also volkl allready had a proper carver model.
i'll measure the p20sl to see if there is actually a difference in sedecuts.

these blue ones look less thick than my p20 and softer? i do wonder if maybe is one of those models made for rentals shops ?
still amazingly there is no rust on the edges after laying 20+ years in our basement.

Attachments

• p30 blu 1.JPG
    p30 blu 1.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 15
  • p30 blu 2.JPG
    p30 blu 2.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 15

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a P series, but I had a pair of Volkl Superspeeds that I bought at a bargain price.

Great at going fast, not so great at short turns.

Retired due to unrepairable edge damage.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Not a P series, but I had a pair of Volkl Superspeeds that I bought at a bargain price.

Great at going fast, not so great at short turns.

Retired due to unrepairable edge damage.
I remember those, a bit like the 6 stars. Unfortunately back then I wasn't into short turns. I would be interested to see how they do at short by really hard high-lean angle turns, at very high speeds for that size of turn, on hard snow (near ice). Like you might see in a SL or SX race.

James

Out There
Instructor
no rubber tips
they are like 90 at widest on the points and some 62 under the foot. definitively by late '90s "parabolic" skis were allready 95-100 or wider. also volkl allready had a proper carver model.
i'll measure the p20sl to see if there is actually a difference in sedecuts.

these blue ones look less thick than my p20 and softer? i do wonder if maybe is one of those models made for rentals shops ?
still amazingly there is no rust on the edges after laying 20+ years in our basement.
The orange RC with the tip damper is the one you want. I don’t remember that blue one, I think it’s an off price model, or maybe as Brian says a more traditional side cut. Shapes were still cheaters, but cheating was fun.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
interesting, the blue p30rs are like 4 millimeters wider than the yellow p20sl on the tips, and the p20 is a bit wider than the k2 are.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone interested in Volkl P20 SL 200cm?
Mounted once, no bindings.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
really hope in a good season so i can properly test my p20sl side by side with other stuff. i find interesting the structure, it definitively feels very "sprung" compared to other skis i have or touched. when i tie them together the centers sit very distant from each other.

my head GS 25m were totally shot, that left me with no "everyday ski". i found an AD from a guy selling both p60 gc and rossignol x9 like 500m from home for like nothing.
i have some doubts about the p60, they look ok but feels a bit soft. don't know if they are worn or just a different kind of ski

Attachments

• set up.JPG
    set up.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 8

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January