• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

(Older Skier) Pacing myself through trip

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately for me, time marches on and it has started to somewhat affect my skiing. Last season on our annual trip out west I really felt it when trying to string together multiple days. How much rest v game time do others do is the question.

Last year was not a banner ski year for me between work and weather and the amount of skier days was lower then normal for me but I'm still concerned because I do try to stay in shape and "train" off season. This has stayed in my mind since last season and now I'm taking off on a 16 day trip of which I "want" to ski 12. This year has been a different year for me as I have kind of tried to work my way into things. Schedule change has allowed me to ski much more. Started early indoors, and got as many 2 hr sessions as I could on the local bump and even stringing days together at various lengths (up to 5 in a row at one point). But my legs did let me know they had been busy after my 3 day trip to Loon Mountain, New Hampshire. One thing I have to admit that I'm guilty of doing in the past is getting so fired up for the first day that I ski too hard instead of pacing myself. Going to be aware of that this year and dial it back a little. Hoping to find that fine line between go and down time.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am a senior person and understand your concerns. A few things came to mind when reading your post:
1. Don't overdo it the first day out.
2. You can try fewer runs after lunch, the last chair up is not your friend.
3. Is your trip out west a much higher altitude? It could be an issue.
4. If the chair has a foot rest be sure to use it. You mentioned Loon and if IIRC Loon chairs don't have foot rests so the entire weight of your equipment is just hanging on your legs and knees.
5. No alcohol at lunch, stick to energy drinks.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, at 64, I tell people that the 4th day in a row is seldom my friend.

I typically ski M-F at home, but temper that with seldom skiing more than 3.5 hours.

Typically softer western snow will be your friend.

If there is significant powder to be had, disregard my first sentence! :ogbiggrin:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not that old absolutely but tend to start the ski season not fully ski fit. Building up is definitely your friend as is self awareness as to whether you are off your game or on it. No point in battling through a bad day just because when you can use the rest and recharge and come back stronger the next day. I noticed that during my trip to Tahoe during a recent mega storm cycle I still alternated really strong days (when I could ski easily to last bell) with weaker days when I'd be tired in the pm. Perhaps they'd have been more even if I'd eased off on the strong afternoons but when conditions are in your favour and next day's opening uncertain that's a hard call to make.

(but take my advice with a pinch of salt because I muscled through 14 back to back days in total in that storm cycle)

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I turn 77 in May. I think this is the first season I started to take things a bit easier. Still ski almost a full day, but like a brief morning and afternoon break and a long lunch. And I find I am skiing easier runs unless the snow is really good. But I did ski 18 of 20 days in Colorado last month and currently at day 10 of 11 here in VT.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Get yourself a hydration backpack and take a few sips of water every run. Visit the trees every now and again to urinate. Take lots of pictures, take your time composing and getting the frame just right. Try to "glide" as much as possible and "skid" as little as possible to conserve energy. Take the elevator in the lodge -- we old folks only have several thousand knee-bends per day, why waste them on stairs when you can use them for ski turns? Boot up in the lodge to minimize walking distance in ski boots.

Consider some narrower, shorter skis that take a little less strength to work.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get yourself a hydration backpack and take a few sips of water every run.
This... I have no idea how my ski buddies ski all day with nothing but a Gatorade for lunch. My hydration pack froze the other day so I didn't get anything to drink until lunch. I couldn't believe how quickly that hit my stamina - the impact was immediate.

Along the same lines, I've noticed several days where I'm feeling more worn out then usual... then I look at my Camelbak and realize I've only drank half as much as I usually do. Culprit found.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Toughest years were last ten before retirement. I was still trying to max out one week ski vacations like I was age 30. Now I often ski short days and rarely more than 3 in a row. It's kind of a fountain of youth that way.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Toughest years were last ten before retirement. I was still trying to max out one week ski vacations like I was age 30. Now I often ski short days and rarely more than 3 in a row. It's kind of a fountain of youth that way.
C'mon Jim, I thought you were bell to bell every day! ogsmile

On our western IKON tour (including the SKI Talk gathering) we started skiing on 2/26 and as of today (3/16) we've taken 4 days off. BUT, we have no hesitation quitting at 2:00 or so.

Tomorrow will be day 6 at Steamboat, but the parking lot is a 5 minute drive from our condo rather than the SLC mosh pits up the canyons or to Deer Valley. We can leave around 8:00 rather than 6:45 and get a parking spot-much more relaxing.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just finished a tour through interior BC. Skied three days straight at each of four places with a day off to drive b/w each. That seemed to be ok with our fitness - got 24-30k each day and we were ready for the break on day four. Two pretty active men, 68 and 66.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I find the days that I make lots of stops, taking photos or just looking at the scenery, make me less tired. That's sounds obvious but you have to make the effort to do it. Lapping lifts on days when there is no line can be exhausting, especially if the snow isn't great. Hydration does make a difference.

I'm not quite as old as some of the members here but A) I know I'm not in as good of condition as I should be, B) I need to lose a few dozen, C) and am still dealing with Long Covid and reduced lung function. It's getting better but there are days when I just bonk, usually after two days of going hard.

When I say stop and take photos, this is what I mean. I take pics of my skiing buddies and the "big picture" views too, but to shoot these I have to be skiing slow enough to see them in the first place. For some the fun is ripping laps. For me, I'm the last one down partly because I'm looking around. That in itself is relaxing and makes for a longer day.
20230316_133016.jpg
20230316_105656.jpg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I find the days that I make lots of stops, taking photos or just looking at the scenery, make me less tired. That's sounds obvious but you have to make the effort to do it. Lapping lifts on days when there is no line can be exhausting, especially if the snow isn't great. Hydration does make a difference.

I'm not quite as old as some of the members here but A) I know I'm not in as good of condition as I should be, B) I need to lose a few dozen, C) and am still dealing with Long Covid and reduced lung function. It's getting better but there are days when I just bonk, usually after two days of going hard.

When I say stop and take photos, this is what I mean. I take pics of my skiing buddies and the "big picture" views too, but to shoot these I have to be skiing slow enough to see them in the first place. For some the fun is ripping laps. For me, I'm the last one down partly because I'm looking around. That in itself is relaxing and makes for a longer day.

I totally agree with this. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/older-skier-pacing-myself-through-trip.30293/post-850730

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While I feel empathy for those of us who have found themselves slowing things down a bit, I’m feeling a little Peter Pan-ish. I don’t want to grow up.

My most recent ski road trip, which included the Gathering was 19 days. I skied 15 of them, the first 6 days in a row, then two days not skiing due to cold weather (I have no desire to ski in below zero F weather) and also due to snow storms closing highways). Otherwise I may have gotten in a couple more half-days. Then, I skied 9 days in a row, including the Gathering. Most of the days I was skiing pretty much open to close.

“Ski Soft?” Yes, absolutely. Ski with the least amount of effort. And stop and smell the conifers, notice the landscape, catch your breath. Appreciate the moment, the day, the life.

The nitty-gritty things I have to do now, that I didn’t do when I was younger: I ski with a hydration vest, with electrolytes (Nuun tablets) added. As a diabetic I always have snacks with me. I start my day early and do my PT stretches and exercises from my MCL injury almost 2 years ago. I make sure I have time for a decent breakfast. In order to have time to do all that, I avoid staying up late, so maybe less après than others. I limit alcohol (actually I didn’t have any the whole trip, pretty typical for me). A hot tub and/or a hot shower after a day of skiing helps the recovery.

I’m 60 for a few more months. I’m not really ready to slow down. In the summer I’m busy doing whatever Shamora asks me to do in the garden, and throughout the year I have my Tai Chi practice. I know it’s inevitable that I will slow down the DIRT (for non-instructors, Duration, Intensity, Rate and Timing). It’s usually in reference to turns; here I’m referring to skiing days. But I digress.

I’m not feeling the inexorable march of time just yet, at least not in a way that impacts my skiing. If anything, I’m getting more efficient, more refined and more advanced in my skiing, and I suspect I have to keep working on improving or things will start to decline.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot depends on terrain skied and mileage. Bell to bell only on powder days. Caught 2 first trams in a row at JH this season!

I'm more on the 10 - 3 banker's hours schedule.

Most days in a row in recent years is 10. I could have easily taken the last couple off just because conditions went from 40" of powder to "firm" and I am fine not skiing on those days. Below zero temps are ok by me if the snow is great.

I started a thread at the beginning of this season about slowing down as I age. Skiing softer, swish swish.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pace yourself-
Last year I did 25 days in a row during my sabbatical. But some days were just an hour or two, other days just easy cruisers, and then other days you hit it harder. But listen to your body- if those days that you're getting at it have you tired by 2pm, then nothing wrong with starting Après ski early. But I will say that @Jim Kenney tried to kill me my first day out!!

Sponsor

Staff online