• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

(Older Skier) Pacing myself through trip

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I think we're probably talking about trips in the vein of one week wonder skiers, not people who live near a mountain and can cki daily if they decide to. But good for you! Wish I had skiing within an hour of my front door.

If you hadn't skied or done any really significant workouts would you take a rest day (or half day) during your first week of LONG ski days?
Up to this point I have never taken off a ski day while on a ski vacation. Will need to add that to my skiing bucket list. Heading to Maine tomorrow for the Eastern Gathering. If the group decides to take a day off from skiing to go ice fishing I can get a rest day in.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
@mdf and @Guy in Shorts are mutant phenomena in their ability to ski bell to bell and not keel over. It's a mystery. Their insides might be all electronic. I am not foolish enough to try to emulate them with my conventional body.
I think it's OK for me to state publicly that GIS does not exactly ski bell to bell. He skis bell to tailgate to bell. He does rack up an impressive number of days in a season, he trains hard for what he does.

I've skied so many days for so many seasons I don't stretch or get sore. These days its more about joints than muscles. Well, I could always use more muscles. Especially abs.

The most I've skied in a row is about 14 days. The problem that develops for those long stretches is boot stink. I do feel stronger after a rest day or two. Maybe it's like running a marathon... you can go another mile, but you'll be faster after a couple days rest.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The most I've skied in a row is about 14 days. The problem that develops for those long stretches is boot stink.
I pack a small set of boot dryers and pull my liners every night and put the dryers in them. The small air circulators work great and end up being another, "don't leave home w/o'em". Also, I carry 5 pair of thin (ski only) socks and wash in the sink w/ soap/shampoo/dish soap, anything easily available... every night, hang dry and rotate them out on long trips. Any time I take off ski boots at end of day, change into "street" socks. :beercheer:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. Amazing how wet the liners get after 6+ hours of skiing. Beads of water on the outside of the liners and this is a day when the high didn't break into the low 20s.
A lot of people don't believe they perspire. Even if the boots don't leak the liners can get soggy.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They sure won't dry much overnite enclosed in a plastic shell. I believe good drying extends the life of the liner too.
True. Mine go on a Peet drier after each day. I don't pull the liner out but when I do I've never had moisture between the shell and liner. But I don't have Langes.:ogbiggrin::duck:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard the expression, "budget my energy." I practice that idea. I ski as hard as feels good, enjoy a leisurely light lunch (hard to find small portions in an on-hill food place), and quit when I'm getting tired. I encourage others in the group to keep skiing as long as they like. On a recent six day trip I skied 3 days, went sightseeing for a day, and skied 2 more. Perfect for me. On a recent five day trip I skied all five, but they certainly weren't long days. That works for me. Find what make the trip the most fun for you. Yes, drink plenty of water; water loss is accelerated by perspiration and respiration due to the altitude causing deeper breathing and often low humidity . Alcohol slows one down as well as being a diuretic, and caffeine and taurine (in energy drinks) are also diuretics but in small quantities don't have much dehydration effect. Find ways to enjoy the trip without counting the miles or vertical feet you used to count.

--quote--
Water is essential for carrying nutrients to your body's cells and taking away waste products. Roughly 50% to 60% of your body weight is water, yet you constantly lose water through urine, sweat, and breathing. When you are low on fluids, your body may feel tired and weaker than usual. Consuming a sufficient amount of fluids in beverages and water-filled food (such as fruits, vegetables, and soup) will help replenish the water your body loses throughout the day and can help you maintain your energy.

Caffeine occurs naturally in coffee, tea, cocoa, and chocolate and is also added to some popular beverages. For some people, a cup of coffee or a can of cola is all it takes to get a little energy boost. Research suggests that drinking beverages with caffeine does not cause excess fluid loss or dehydration, so you can enjoy these drinks in moderation.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/fight-fatigue-with-fluids
--end quote--

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In case it hasn’t been touched on I’d elaborate on what @Uncle-A said .
we lose muscle as we age. Nutrition, as mentioned can help retain and build muscle and thus slow this down.Muscle loss is a big factor in how we age physically so take steps

If your skiing at elevation, hydrate. Then hydrate some more. Start at least a week before your trip. Top it off. Until you acclimate avoid alcohol-1 beer at 8-10 thousand feet is more than one beer at sea level .

heavy or deep snow can be tiring especially if you are being tentative or skiing slow. If you are off your deep snow game, ration your time in the deep during the beginning of the trip .

As @KingGrump said, ski smooth. ( ski smooth ski longer)

Have fun , remember it’s a marathon not a sprint :D

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sort of alluded to this.. but for this older folk, the WIN is to find a way to stay slopeside or a short walk to and ski short sessions.. take long breaks.. go back out for some night skiing.. hot tub... sleep in a little longer because you don't have to get up super early and drive and try to get there early for a good parking spot.. Slopeside.. .. WIN WIN WIN WIN!!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent the last week at Big Sky with @Philpug, @Tricia, @Winks, and a handful of others including @BS Slarver and his wife Erica. My main reason for being there was to help with the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame inductions ceremonies. This included helping Tricia and Phil with the auction and general push things/carry stuff work. There were several past midnight nights, and several up before 6 mornings, usually one after the other. While skiing was secondary, we did get some turns.

By Saturday I was able to do about 4 runs off Ramcharger on some easy blues (although the 6" or so fresh was pretty sticky) and one off Swift Current to get back to the condo. I was done. Sunday was breakdown and start travel back to Reno, Monday was finish the trip. And a nap. Totally over done, didn't ski particularly well, but still had a great time. I didn't eat/fuel right, I certainly didn't drink enough water, and I should have taken a day off in the middle of the week but didn't want to miss anything. I had leg cramps at night and was just pooped. I know better but didn't do better.

The story here? Don't be like Andy! Eat right, hydrate, get solid rest, stop before you're toast, and have a better next day!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t know if it’s a gender thing but most guys I know , at least those over 40 , don’t drink enough water, myself included. I have to be reminded to about half the time by my wife and daughter who seem to be constantly drinking it. When I am optimally hydrated, I can tell the difference as it’s noticeable everything thing feels and moves better. Still, I forget unless I’m flying, going to altitude or a long hike.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Sort of alluded to this.. but for this older folk, the WIN is to find a way to stay slopeside or a short walk to and ski short sessions.. take long breaks.. go back out for some night skiing.. hot tub... sleep in a little longer because you don't have to get up super early and drive and try to get there early for a good parking spot.. Slopeside.. .. WIN WIN WIN WIN!!
Staying slope side is super easy in a winter outfitted RV. Trail access is 50' from my slope side home here at Sugarloaf for the NE Gathering this past weekend. Missing the hot tub as it is too big to bring along.
IMG_2832.jpg

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Andy Mink - You and your crew were burning the candle at both ends and even in the middle ALL last week !
This post should probably be in the Big Sky thread but appropriate here I guess.
@Philpug, @Tricia, @Winks, your self along with the entire HOF staff were all superhuman last week.
For those who have never attended one of these HOF inductions, let me say the 5 day event was flat out incredible !
The work that the ski talk staff put in to raise money for the hall of fame was endless and as Andy said literally 6 am to midnight and beyond by the time the staff winded down from the day.
This went on for a week not to mention the days of travel to and from pulling a full size trailer to and from Reno along with the packing and unpacking at both ends. All this while trying to eat healthy, stay hydrated and ski at 11,000 feet, YEAH - RIGHT !

As I passed 100 days yesterday and skier friends all ask, you ski bell to bell everyday?
My reply-
Name another sport do you do for eight hours a day, everyday ? I didn’t think so.

FOMO is only real if you let it be, Embrace the time your on the hill and know when it’s time to call it quits and kick back as we age.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Staying slope side is super easy in a winter outfitted RV. Trail access is 50' from my slope side home here at Sugarloaf for the NE Gathering this past weekend. Missing the hot tub as it is too big to bring along.
View attachment 198558
Definitely nicer than some of the bunk houses I've stayed in on the mountain. I'll take a bunk house ON the mountain over a penthouse 45 minutes away..

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent the last week at Big Sky with @Philpug, @Tricia, @Winks, and a handful of others including @BS Slarver and his wife Erica. My main reason for being there was to help with the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame inductions ceremonies. This included helping Tricia and Phil with the auction and general push things/carry stuff work. There were several past midnight nights, and several up before 6 mornings, usually one after the other. While skiing was secondary, we did get some turns.

By Saturday I was able to do about 4 runs off Ramcharger on some easy blues (although the 6" or so fresh was pretty sticky) and one off Swift Current to get back to the condo. I was done. Sunday was breakdown and start travel back to Reno, Monday was finish the trip. And a nap. Totally over done, didn't ski particularly well, but still had a great time. I didn't eat/fuel right, I certainly didn't drink enough water, and I should have taken a day off in the middle of the week but didn't want to miss anything. I had leg cramps at night and was just pooped. I know better but didn't do better.

The story here? Don't be like Andy! Eat right, hydrate, get solid rest, stop before you're toast, and have a better next day!

Photos of @Andy Mink "pacing" himself on Saturday during the fresh snow
Before:
IMG_1780 2.JPG

After:
IMG_1777.JPG

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Photos of @Andy Mink "pacing" himself on Saturday during the fresh snow
Before:
View attachment 198629

After:
View attachment 198630
In my defense those are technically out of order. However, it did occur going from groom to 6-8" of sticky fresh, so I'll allow it. And it was pretty funny. One of those "uh oh" moments when you know what's coming before it hits. For extra points I did do it right under the chair.

Sponsor