• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

(Older Skier) Pacing myself through trip

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skied 42 of the last 42 days since getting off IR. Pushing my rest days to the tail end of this lifelong trip. Crashing down thru the soft bumps today had me giggling like a kid. Dread the time when I will lose that feeling.

Pacing myself is very hard work. Need to add some of the soft skiing into my world before I get too old to learn new tricks. At 63 I figure there still is time to adjust.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don’t let anybody tell you different, 62 is the new 42. Good for you. Keep on keeping on. Posted by a 68 year old ( lol).

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Unfortunately for me, time marches on and it has started to somewhat affect my skiing. Last season on our annual trip out west I really felt it when trying to string together multiple days. How much rest v game time do others do is the question.

Last year was not a banner ski year for me between work and weather and the amount of skier days was lower then normal for me but I'm still concerned because I do try to stay in shape and "train" off season. This has stayed in my mind since last season and now I'm taking off on a 16 day trip of which I "want" to ski 12. This year has been a different year for me as I have kind of tried to work my way into things. Schedule change has allowed me to ski much more. Started early indoors, and got as many 2 hr sessions as I could on the local bump and even stringing days together at various lengths (up to 5 in a row at one point). But my legs did let me know they had been busy after my 3 day trip to Loon Mountain, New Hampshire. One thing I have to admit that I'm guilty of doing in the past is getting so fired up for the first day that I ski too hard instead of pacing myself. Going to be aware of that this year and dial it back a little. Hoping to find that fine line between go and down time.
Some suggestions

Theory (& studies) is that as we age, our endurance is generally sustained better than our agility, strength & ability to recover as quick from high load demands. Accept it and consider it, but don't limit yourself by it - we are all different.

Ease into skiing on multi-day trips -
Try 1/2 days for the first or couple of days. Or 2 hr sessions with longer lunch breaks for the first days on easy runs.
Why cheat yourself by behaving like you are still a 20 something, frying your legs on the first day, then just limping along for the rest of your trip?

Ease into skiing every day with proper warm-ups -
The theory (validated by experience of both elite & weekend warrior athletes) is that warm-ups must -
1) get the cardio vascular system activated - lungs heart lymphatic systems etc to progressively loaded and dilated to bring nutrients in and waste products out to your working muscle groups
2) get muscle groups activated & progressively loaded ready for higher loads
3) get your neurology - balance, coordination - activated for increasing skiing demands - skiing is of course a balance & agility sport - being off center, being tense etc unduly loads our muscles causes overload of lactic acid & other over use issues, esp was we get older

Warm-ups for every ski session - what I teach and do myself for intermediate to high performance rec skiing
1) Set aside 2-3 runs or 30m for warm-ups
2) Use a run 1-2 levels below your ability
3) Start joint rotations of every joint you can access while riding the chair & standing at the top of the run. Then start gliding with pivot slips, later introduce light edge sets
4) Gradually move to LR & MR brushed parallel, add in foot shuffles & thrusts/pull backs & gentle (1-2in high) jumps while turning. Get centered. Shift your upper body back and forth. Then introduce more edging in your basic brushed parallel turns
5) Add power plows to activate the foot to hip joints accentuating & emphasizing weight shift and turning muscle groups - foot to hip
5) Go back to pivot slips, but at a higher tempo, turn these into brushed SR basic parallel turns. Add in a few harder and harder edge sets or hockey stops
6) Go back to MR - LR turns, moving from basic parallel to more dynamic carved turns focusing on edge performance.

Depending on your age & fitness, 1-3 runs for up to 30m using this routine will set you up properly for the day.
Toss the ego, work within your body's limits, and with the mountain. Experiment and you will find what works for you. And you really enjoy the rest of your day, your ski trip.

GL

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Skied 42 of the last 42 days since getting off IR. Pushing my rest days to the tail end of this lifelong trip. Crashing down thru the soft bumps today had me giggling like a kid. Dread the time when I will lose that feeling.

Pacing myself is very hard work. Need to add some of the soft skiing into my world before I get too old to learn new tricks. At 63 I figure there still is time to adjust.
At 63 you have plenty of time to adjust. At 76 my first run of the season I couldn't get my legs to do what I wanted them to do. I was lucky enough that I started on a blue run. After that I fell back into the groove but it was a bit of a wake up for me.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't get people that ski 6 or more days in a row. I'm in pretty good shape, lift, mountain bike 10-12 his a week off season and ski, bc and resort 100+days a year.

But i take a day off every 3 days and it's incredible how much better i feel and ski after the rest day.

Physically and mentally, and eager to ski steep stuff, and much more confident. The stuff i ski is pretty committing, a fair amount of no fall zones, so maybe that's why.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 73 and I do pace myself. I find that works for me. I only ski about 4-5 hrs a day and take mini breaks. Just skied all day at BW in New Hampshire because the conditions were so good after the latest Nor'easter, wore my legs out.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't get people that ski 6 or more days in a row. I'm in pretty good shape, lift, mountain bike 10-12 his a week off season and ski, bc and resort 100+days a year.

But i take a day off every 3 days and it's incredible how much better i feel and ski after the rest day.

Physically and mentally, and eager to ski steep stuff, and much more confident. The stuff i ski is pretty committing, a fair amount of no fall zones, so maybe that's why.

Unlike the other posters in the thread you have an e-stim with a recovery mode.

(Mine is awesome)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not a morning person. I am usually skiing better on the last run than the first run the next day. I'd bet most of you with a different trip pattern have different daily rhythms too.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Start a mellow Yoga program to maintain flex and proprioception.

I do Hatha, with some Pilates and slow Ashtanga (Power Yoga) moves incorporated. I also incorporate ankle flexing, slow ankle spins clockwise & counter...(keeps feet working as a team), and big toe/little toe pointing (proprioception work).

I avoid the high intensity stuff ... too many injuries at our age (muscle pulls and stuff) and it just takes too long to heal and recuperate.

TS
4aprice

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I so appreciate the many answers I’ve gotten to this post and the great feedback so much of which I have taken to heart. Today is day 4 and my first off day. Dialed it back a little, hydrated and so far so good with the legs. Looks like this is timing out well as the weather has been blue bird for days 1,2 and 3 and now looks to be changing with maybe a significant storm on the way. Will definitely try to go longer and deeper with fresh snow. Love seeing there are a decent amount of people on here that are in my same age range and once again say thanks for all the good advice

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sitting here logged in to work glad the naproxen is working. My daily goal at this age is to be sure and stop soon enough to have enough legs left to carry my gear to the car. Skiing 2.5 hours without a break was just right. Still in pretty good shape but definitely feel it.. Strategy is ski shorter sessions and take longer breaks

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I think we're probably talking about trips in the vein of one week wonder skiers, not people who live near a mountain and can cki daily if they decide to. But good for you! Wish I had skiing within an hour of my front door.

If you hadn't skied or done any really significant workouts would you take a rest day (or half day) during your first week of LONG ski days?

Sponsor

Staff online