• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If I am remembering correctly, there was already a Peak Ski. The Rossignol Peak, an autographed ski by Picabo Street. They must be rare; I couldn't find an image of it anywhere online.

Thanks for the memories, I had totally forgotten about those. My Googlefu isn't better tho.
1649299282239.png

And then there were the Head Peak skis.

I wonder if Bode has skied everyone else's skis, and decided he could design and make one better in each class than anyone else. Given the technology and testing capability of the major brands I am skeptical.

Eh. I sort of see him like Sting - he's going to go jam with everyone willing and maybe get paid for a remix track.

“predominantly for front country skiing”

Wut?
I totally read that as Jedi marketing copy for "nothing we do here is redundant with Scarpa."

James

Out There
Instructor
Hmmmm….
This writer is giving credit to Bode for designing the K2 Four.

———————-
Miller, who grew up skiing and snowboarding in the mountains of New Hampshire, began learning about ski design at the age of 15. Taking the knowledge he gained from cutting a snowboard in half to better understand the concept of sidecut, he drafted the legendary K2 Four, the ski that helped him win the Junior Olympics and propelled him to the 1998 Winter Olympics team.

Those boards shocked the ski world and provided an opportunity for Miller to influence the revolution in shaped skis. The following year, every other ski company copied the K2 Four model and improved upon it sending Miller back to the drawing board and an ongoing learning process that carried him through his career.

“I was witness to how impactful equipment or innovation is to the sport, and I saw how little of that made it to the consumer market,” he said.

A long-term goal of Miller’s has always been to bring to the consumer market the technical innovations he’s had access to as an elite racer. In the past, he even had it added to his contract that brands had to sell race skis on the open market.

“He’s got this Mensa-level intellect when it comes to design and engineering that many folks don’t have a view into,” said Wirth, adding that Miller might as well have a master’s degree in engineering.
———————-

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmmm….
This writer is giving credit to Bode for designing the K2 Four.

———————-
Miller, who grew up skiing and snowboarding in the mountains of New Hampshire, began learning about ski design at the age of 15. Taking the knowledge he gained from cutting a snowboard in half to better understand the concept of sidecut, he drafted the legendary K2 Four, the ski that helped him win the Junior Olympics and propelled him to the 1998 Winter Olympics team.
I read it that he drafted the Four to be his ski, not that he drafted the design.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I smell smoke and mirrors in the factory in Bozeman. Direct to consumer is certainly the way to really go without vast marketing spend but let's compare to J skis where J has a fantastic track record in innovation and delivering fun affordable and radical skis whereas Bode has a track record in flitting around giving endorsements on all sorts of stuff and moving on.

Plus not even giving Crosson 18 months - why should any skier trust a word from ...

Bode isn't starting from scratch, and 404 web pages are a large hint. Let's give @Philpug 's conversation with Bode a chance to fill in a couple of large blanks and clarify things, but I think it's safe to say that there's equipment being moved from one place to another.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I read it that he drafted the Four to be his ski, not that he drafted the design.
Nope - that article is intended to imply that he was heavily involved in the original development of K2 Fours and shaped skis as some sort of child prodigy. All the references to drawing boards etc.

Now it my be a sloppy journo getting the wrong end of the stick but it really smacks of a PR drafted release designed to hype by playing with the parameters of the English language. I mean they've invested whole months into the development process. This shizzle must be groundbreaking....

The skis they are making have to sell to quite a conservative market who actually care about Bode. That's an interesting challenge given their apparent desire to be open source on their innovation and so radical at shaping things up...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Nope - that article is intended to imply that he was heavily involved in the original development of K2 Fours and shaped skis as some sort of child prodigy. All the references to drawing boards etc.

Now it my be a sloppy journo getting the wrong end of the stick but it really smacks of a PR drafted release designed to hype by playing with the parameters of the English language. I mean they've invested whole months into the development process. This shizzle must be groundbreaking....

The skis they are making have to sell to quite a conservative market who actually care about Bode. That's an interesting challenge given their apparent desire to be open source on their innovation and so radical at shaping things up...

So you figure K2's in on a newer revisionist article by someone not affiliated with their brand? I guess there's a conspiracy under every rock if one looks hard enough. At the time of the 4's release, no one outside of the Jr. Race world had ever heard of Bode.. likely including K2.
:)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Bode isn't starting from scratch, and 404 web pages are a large hint. Let's give @Philpug 's conversation with Bode a chance to fill in a couple of large blanks and clarify things, but I think it's safe to say that there's equipment being moved from one place to another.
OK so they've taken over Crosson, or by spending on Bode, Crosson bankrupted themselves so Wirth and Bode could pick up the assets on the cheap? Let's hope for some honesty on the origin story otherwise they are starting on a suspicious footing.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So you figure K2's in on a newer revisionist article by someone not affiliated with their brand? I guess there's a conspiracy under every rock if one looks hard enough. At the time of the 4's release, no one outside of the Jr. Race world had ever heard of Bode.. likely including K2.
:)
Exactly K2 likely hadn't heard of Bode back then but Peak/ their pet Big Sky journo are trying to lead the reader to believe he was a driving force behind their shaped skis.

You don't think there is some revisionist history going on from Bode here? Sure he's intellectually curious and a lot of a maverick but a lifelong designer and engineer?

Here's the clue:

"After developing the shaped ski at age 17, Miller has returned to the drawing board to again revolutionize the ski world."

I don't believe Peak haven't had copy approval on a carefully co-ordinated launch.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Confirmed in an email I received from Chase Engleheart this morning about my Dissenter 78s. Moving stuff from Seattle to Bozeman.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the TGR fellas had a go on the Peak 104 and seemed to like it quite well. I’m curious enough about the skis and also how long before Bode moves on. Again.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The skis looks awesome, looking forward to getting some more info. The range seems perfect for resort skiers out west. The 98SC looks particularly interesting and unique.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
OK so they've taken over Crosson, or by spending on Bode, Crosson bankrupted themselves so Wirth and Bode could pick up the assets on the cheap? Let's hope for some honesty on the origin story otherwise they are starting on a suspicious footing.

Bob, Bode couldn't bankrupt the owners of Crosson. They have very deep pockets, and this was a hobby for them.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Exactly K2 likely hadn't heard of Bode back then but Peak/ their pet Big Sky journo are trying to lead the reader to believe he was a driving force behind their shaped skis.

You don't think there is some revisionist history going on from Bode here? Sure he's intellectually curious and a lot of a maverick but a lifelong designer and engineer?

Here's the clue:

"After developing the shaped ski at age 17, Miller has returned to the drawing board to again revolutionize the ski world."

I don't believe Peak haven't had copy approval on a carefully co-ordinated launch.

I heard (so it must be fact) Bode's in talks to release a new candy bar, the Bode Ruth, has a peace plan for Ukraine, is well on the way to reversing global warming, and sold Elon Musk his hyperloop idea. Even as a child before he was conceived, he drew up plans for the Apollo program, so who are we to doubt the writer's claims?

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the Peak key-hole cut-out in front of the toe area designed to create a hinge-point ?

Is this a similar goal to what the Monsters had in their flex pattern by being softer flex and softer torsion underfoot ? I think part of the lure of the older Monsters ( per other postings here and at TGR ) was their heavy weight and their flex pattern with this sort of "hinge point".

newplot.png

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I heard (so it must be fact) Bode's in talks to release a new candy bar, the Bode Ruth, has a peace plan for Ukraine, is well on the way to reversing global warming, and sold Elon Musk his hyperloop idea. Even as a child before he was conceived, he drew up plans for the Apollo program, so who are we to doubt the writer's claims?
Who really cares?

Well Bode seems to. Despite already having by virtue of his VC investments probably "more than enough" he seems quite keen to demonstrate his genius with yet another hardgoods play.

If truth no longer matters in consumer goods, as it doesn't seem to in politics, what's the point of this whole forum?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Gosh oh golly, you mean someone some where in the ski industry has exaggerated a claim or snowfall total? I'm hanging up my skis for good.... wait.... let's try this:

"After using a shaped ski to win Jr. Nationals at age 17, Miller has returned to the drawing board to again revolutionize the ski world."

There. Fixed it. Woot! I'm going skiing today!
:beercheer:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So you're a better journo that the Big Sky hack they've chosen. Query also "returned"?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
... proverbial drawing board. Man, I should get paid for this. :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid