• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the Crosson Dissenter series are moving to Peak at Bozeman, what about their other skis? Is Crosson still going to produce their own stuff in Seattle?

I guess time will tell.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Bode is a pretty technical guy. Listen to the Blister podcast with him. So, I’m intrigued by what he could do with a design when he has a lot of input into it. I’m worried about having a weakened metal right in front of the binding, could be a crack spot. the shape of Peak skis is strikingly reminiscent of Augment AM line, which Is a good thing, but the tail rise is longer. This is a ski that would Likely ski a bit short…

James

Out There
Instructor
The argument is ridiculous. Clearly the article was meant to imply Bode designed the K2 Four.
It really doesn’t matter as it’s the ski industry.
The skis are what they are.
Wonder ifthey’ll be making race skis if he has a racing school. Those have to be tested though.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Re write of the Big Sky Article

Hey Bode's just launched his new ski company. Yeah we know you've heard that one before this time it's different. He's always been interested in the engineering and design side ever since he was young and not afraid to try different things since he first skied on K2 Fours to great junior success. This company puts those ideas with actual experienced engineers to produce new skis which they say are really very good and well received (although very few pairs exist and few impartial people have got to ski them). Stay tuned. We're stoked to see if he can pull it off.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bode is a pretty technical guy. Listen to the Blister podcast with him. So, I’m intrigued by what he could do with a design when he has a lot of input into it.
We've tried this at least twice already. If anyone was actually interested in what sort of ski would come out if Bode was given a lot of design influence, they could have bought a Bomber or Crosson. This is getting kind of tired at this point.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've tried this at least twice already. If anyone was actually interested in what sort of ski would come out if Bode was given a lot of design influence, they could have bought a Bomber or Crosson. This is getting kind of tired at this point.
The difference this time is Bode is talking total control of the ski build process. With that said, Yes he has had a few strikes ... and fouled more than a few off, but I want to ski and ski the product before I coem to any conclusions.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I am confused--first K2 was the best, then Rossi, then Atomic, then Head, then Bomber, then Crosson, and now Peak. So....which is it?
The Mahres were on Rossignol, K2 and now Head. How many skis were Klammer on besides Blizzard, Fischer, and Head? Plake with boots... Salomon, Raichle, Dalbello and Roxa.

Yes, Bode has been with numerous brands in both racing and ownership. Peak is an offshoot of Crosson and moved Crosson's machines to Montana for finishing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The difference this time is Bode is talking total control of the ski build process. With that said, Yes he has had a few strikes ... and fouled more than a few off, but I want to ski and ski the product before I coem to any conclusions.

This ^, every situation has been different and ultimately what matters (to us at least) is how the skis look, feel and ski.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
The argument is ridiculous. Clearly the article was meant to imply Bode designed the K2 Four.
It really doesn’t matter as it’s the ski industry.
The skis are what they are.
Wonder ifthey’ll be making race skis if he has a racing school. Those have to be tested though.
I agree - the article clearly invites the reader to assume Bode was at least part of the design process. BTW no one's mentioned Alpine X here either [which also seems a bit of an odd project with the Miller stamp of approval]

However you're right - it's surprising that these are not on the face of things more gate orientated given his pedigree and the racing school.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"The Mahres were on Rossignol, K2 and now Head. How many skis were Klammer on besides Blizzard, Fischer, and Head?"

Yup, lots of folks switch ski brands during a career--but they don't all make such repeated hyperbolical claims about how amazing, revolutionary, and ground breaking the newest wonder skis are....

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get that Bode's an interesting, and perhaps likeable guy. I respect what he did in skiing.
But...it's kinda like looking at the resume of someone who's changed jobs every year. At what point does it cease to become a journey upward through the ranks and more an indication of someone's inability to actually work with people constructively?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
However you're right - it's surprising that these are not on the face of things more gate orientated given his pedigree and the racing school.
Racers buy skis that come from an actual race room pedigree rather than wealthy Boomers and GenXers all mountain skiers who can buy into a bit of Bode stardust?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Bode is dead on with the product mix, 88, two 98's and 104's and a 110 along with the size offerings. These are the skis people are buying. I also like that he his scaling sizing too. Will we see narrower offerings as the time goes on? Well, that Crosson 78 would be a good start.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's some wild claims, which seem to match the history:

“When I switched to Rossignol, they cut a hole in the top layer of aluminum on the plate and glued it to the wood core. They only did it to my skis. Those were the best skis I’ve ever skied on by far,” Miller recalls. “Ask anyone if I was good enough to win a GS title that year. Everybody said no. I was doing things no one said I could do.”

Miller said the skis featuring the holed plate allowed him to focus his power on that precise point in front of his bindings and turn as if he were wearing hockey skates.

“I won Sölden, and if you go back and watch, I was arcing every left-footed turn. I was 100 percent clean. On a steep pitch, I knew exactly where that grip was, just in front of my binding. I could pivot and know just where I was pushing my ski. I could slide. I could make the correction. I won by a second in that race. The reason was that ski had that grip point. No other ski at that time did.”

After Miller moved to Atomic, the “keyholed” Rossignol skis were passed on to Canadian racer Thomas Grandi, who used them to win back-to-back races – the first, last and only victories of his World Cup career.

“The skis were toast. The edges were paper thin. Grandi took them out and won. He won Alta Badia with no training, then he went to Flachau and won. He beat me in both races. That always stuck with me. It demonstrates how much better those skis were than anything else in the World Cup,” Miller says. “I took those skis apart and realized they cut a hole in the aluminum. It wasn’t until now that I’ve been able to do something with that technology. It’s exciting to bring something that made such a difference in my racing career to the general public.”

Sponsor