• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On-bike Bag for Rain Cape, Beanie etc..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I find myself looking for a bag, not on-person, that can carry a rain cape, beanie, gloves, arm warmers. Nothing big..but big enough to fit some basics. I have a super-tiny tool bag but often find I have too much or not enough gear. As I get older I get weaker apparently... Anyone have good look with something less than monstrous????

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Check out Lezyne. Little pricey, but I’ve had great luck with their offerings. You’ll be able to find a saddle, bar, or frame bag that fits the bill of just barely big enough.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
You mean like compared to a small to small+ camelback? Less.The Lezyne XL Caddy is 7.5L. It would hold what you’re talking about and a good bit more. But a lot of their bags are around the 1-2L. That fits rain gear, warmers, repair kit with a tool, some cash and a phone. Re gloves, I guess it depends on whether you’re talking winter or not.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Anybody use one of these?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Have you considered a handlebar bag?

The ones with top openings let you access all of that clothing stuff without getting off the bike.

And a few of them provide convenient lock carry on the bike, doubling as lights/gps carry off it?

Last edited:
TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Have you considered a handlebar bag?

The ones with top openings let you access all of that clothing stuff without getting off the bike.

And a few of them provide convenient lock carry on the bike, doubling as lights/gps carry off it?
Yeah good point. I don't really have a preference for any location. I sold tons of these things back in the day but I've only ever used a tool bag. Now I'm like, hey, top tube bag isn't such a bad idea... So yeah, that's valid.

So can you get a rain jacket, gloves hat, tube, levers, chain tool, multi tool into a 2L bag? I'm thinking of my self-stowing shell jacket and I don't know if I can cram that alone into 1L...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So can you get a rain jacket, gloves hat, tube, levers, chain tool, multi tool into a 2L bag?

Maybe, but I haven't tried. I'm a big fan of the 4l bag size.
Mine: https://velo-orange.com/products/mini-rando-handlebar-bag
Hers: https://us.alpkit.com/products/toploader

Anything I'm not likely to need without getting off the bike (tools, nephew's rain gear, herself's extras) goes in the rear bag.

I talked about my rear bag back when @Ron was looking for storage in the thread here:

...and, yes, I know that's bigger than anything you're thinking of. Obv. there are smaller tool rolls in the house.

I'm thinking of my self-stowing shell jacket and I don't know if I can cram that alone into 1L...

Yeh, this is why I love that German rain suit - the whole thing stuffs into a 400ml carry sack.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love handlebar bags by Rickshaw Bagworks. Mine easily holds a rain jacket, gabba, or gilét, as well as a cap, snacks, sunscreen, whatever. The thing is well made and very secure, fitting all of my bikes easily, and is accessible while riding (very important for those of us who like to stop infrequently). Capacity is 2.5L for this model tho they produce a larger bag called the Bazooka that holds nearly 4L.

710A380F-D085-4211-AB5D-8040223DF02E.JPG

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
So my big thing for saddle bags is sway and interference with legs while pedalling. Obviously being tool bag guy, this has never been an issue. How about for bigger bags? I can remember riding customer bikes with big saddle bags and thinking they were gash...

2-4L seems like a good sweet spot..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Access while riding isn't a big deal..mostly this will be cold and I don't mind stopping to peel or add..

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So my big thing for saddle bags is sway and interference with legs while pedalling. Obviously being tool bag guy, this has never been an issue. How about for bigger bags? I can remember riding customer bikes with big saddle bags and thinking they were gash...

2-4L seems like a good sweet spot..
A good decaleur Will fix that.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So my big thing for saddle bags is sway

Bag sway is a thing I've noticed, yes. Also back wheel shimmy when heavy-loaded and not sitting right on top of the wheel. And, ofc., straps rub frames and carbon posts.

There are bolt on rigid stays for undersaddle bags, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

and interference with legs while pedalling.

Not seeing that much (at all really) with my one.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January