• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review ON3P Woodsman 102

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Why oh why can’t I demo an on3p! The woodsman sounds exactly like that I am looking for but to not try before you buy...

how much float do we think the 102 gives up to the 108? I’m balancing with an enforcer 88 so the narrower woodsman in intriguing because it’s more versatile but giving up some on deeper days, which as we all know, are only truly “deep” for a run or two. The natural answer is the enforcer 104, but a little analysis paralysis never hurt anyone.

Own the Enforcer 104 and it will have the on-piste carving/harder snow advantage but even the 102 Woodsman would out float it in powder. Like the Enforcer 104 at lower speeds but the Woodsman with it’s higher turning radius is more stable at speed. Really wish the Enforcer line had 20m turn radius in their 185/186cm lengths as they would feel more stable at higher speeds.

Dynastar MFree 108 another game changing in this width range that only flaw is sizing lengths. Goes from 182cm(181.5 cm tape measure) to 192cm(189.25 tape/similar to a 189 ON3P) with no “mid 180” size. The 182cm is the most surfy, fun ski in soft bumps I’ve ever skied and the “more series” 192cm HAULS on groomers but still pretty playful for something that stable.
New MFree 99 coming out soon which might be the new “tree skiing” king.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m loving the Woodsman 102’s in any soft snow, and they are a great crud ski. Granted I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs, but the 102 could almost be my powder ski. There is a lot of tip and tail rise and it can surf through deeper snow more than you'd expect for the width. They work fine in bumps.

They still can rip on a groomer; just like any 100-102 it takes a little more effort to get it on edge, but grips really well when you do.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
The Woodman 108 would easily outperform the Atris in powder float, crud, stability and ease of pivoting. Atris is lighter so maybe better for a 50/50 ski but that’s about it.

Atris one of my least favourite skis near it’s width with the QST 106, MFree 108, Woodsman 108, Mindbender 108Ti, Wildcat 108 and Enforcer 104/110 all outperforming them in most categories.
Got up on the Atris today at PCMR. Report was 9 inches. I liked the Atris in the conditions I saw today (some fresh, resort chop, generally soft snow conditions all around the mountain with deeper pockets here and there).
How does the mount point on woodsman 108 compare to the Atris?

pcjer

Booting up
Skier
Got up on the Atris today at PCMR. Report was 9 inches. I liked the Atris in the conditions I saw today (some fresh, resort chop, generally soft snow conditions all around the mountain with deeper pockets here and there).

Nice I was at Deer Valley, skied really well. Didn't get on the Woodsman 102 though it was deep enough for the pow sticks and so much fun. I'll get on the 102 tomorrow they're mounted up. The mount depends on the year. Last year 19-20 woodsman was -6.5. 20-21 are -7.25. I asked ON3P and they said obviously they recommend the line but you can go to -8.5 without messing up anything. Further back than that would change the ski too much.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

As @pcjer mentioned, it’s about 1cm more forward mount on the Woodsman 108 vs the Atris but like any ski, you could go plus/minus 1-2cm on any of these skis to your taste.

The bigger difference between the Atris vs options like the Woodsman 108/MFree 108/QST 106/Enforcer 104 or 108/Wildcat 108 etc be heavier snow or crud or tracked snow. Almost any 105mm plus ski will do okay in soft snow but separate themselves in more variable conditions.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
As @pcjer mentioned, it’s about 1cm more forward mount on the Woodsman 108 vs the Atris but like any ski, you could go plus/minus 1-2cm on any of these skis to your taste.

The bigger difference between the Atris vs options like the Woodsman 108/MFree 108/QST 106/Enforcer 104 or 108/Wildcat 108 etc be heavier snow or crud or tracked snow. Almost any 105mm plus ski will do okay in soft snow but separate themselves in more variable conditions.
I encountered some very big, heavy snow in the trees off dreamscape in the really steep top parts down the ridge to skiers left and struggled mightily but that was more the fault of the driver than the skis. The others on my list to try are exactly the ones you mentioned: QST 106 and Enforcer 104 plus the aforementioned Woodsman, if only that were possible!

pcjer

Booting up
Skier
I encountered some very big, heavy snow in the trees off dreamscape in the really steep top parts down the ridge to skiers left and struggled mightily but that was more the fault of the driver than the skis. The others on my list to try are exactly the ones you mentioned: QST 106 and Enforcer 104 plus the aforementioned Woodsman, if only that were possible!

That's my favorite spot up there but that snow has been baked and refrozen a ton this year. Plus our wind storm didn't help anything the other day. My bsl is 317 and I ski a 187 if that works for you I don't mind letting a fellow PC skier take a few runs. But they're the 102s. The others are easy to demo around here.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice I was at Deer Valley, skied really well. Didn't get on the Woodsman 102 though it was deep enough for the pow sticks and so much fun. I'll get on the 102 tomorrow they're mounted up. The mount depends on the year. Last year 19-20 woodsman was -6.5. 20-21 are -7.25. I asked ON3P and they said obviously they recommend the line but you can go to -8.5 without messing up anything. Further back than that would change the ski too much.
If DV were my primary hill we would t be having this discussion. I’d be on the Enforcer 104 no questions asked. But since I mainly ski PCMR (both sides) i might be served by something a touch wider.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
QST 106 the next step up from the Atris while still being easy to ski and the Enforcer 104/110 the next step again. Steep terrain with heavy snow would be easier on an Enforcer or Woodsman. MFree 108 should be demoed too as it’s a fantastic ski in this range. Solid on soft snow groomer but insanely surfy in trees/bumps and tight spots.

jg31

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can anyone comment on these vs the Nordica Enforcer 104 Free? I really enjoyed the Enforcer 104 Free's ability to carve groomers and pivot easy around trees but wouldn't mind something even a touch better in pivoting around bumps and trees. Would these fit the bill?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can anyone comment on these vs the Nordica Enforcer 104 Free? I really enjoyed the Enforcer 104 Free's ability to carve groomers and pivot easy around trees but wouldn't mind something even a touch better in pivoting around bumps and trees. Would these fit the bill?

Enforcer 104 would be the better carver on piste vs the Woodsman 102 as it has more taper and tip splay so not as long an effective edge. Woodsman would be pretty similar float wise and a longer turning radius so it’s more willing to go straight than the Enforcer if you like higher speeds.

What’s your size and the length of Enforcer you tried as it is fantastic in trees and bumps I find. Moving the binding mount up a bit(1-2cm) will make it even easier to pivot too.

One of the best tree/soft bumps skis out there is the Dynastar MFree 108. I’d give the nod to the Enforcer on piste but it’s close. When you get the Dynastar in soft snow, it’s insanely fun and surfy.
They are coming out with a new narrower version, the MFree 99 very soon that should take bumps and trees to the next level but float will be sacrificed vs the wider skis in this thread.

jg31

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Enforcer 104 would be the better carver on piste vs the Woodsman 102 as it has more taper and tip splay so not as long an effective edge. Woodsman would be pretty similar float wise and a longer turning radius so it’s more willing to go straight than the Enforcer if you like higher speeds.

What’s your size and the length of Enforcer you tried as it is fantastic in trees and bumps I find. Moving the binding mount up a bit(1-2cm) will make it even easier to pivot too.

One of the best tree/soft bumps skis out there is the Dynastar MFree 108. I’d give the nod to the Enforcer on piste but it’s close. When you get the Dynastar in soft snow, it’s insanely fun and surfy.
They are coming out with a new narrower version, the MFree 99 very soon that should take bumps and trees to the next level but float will be sacrificed vs the wider skis in this thread.
Thanks, that is much needed analysis. I tried the 186cm Enforcer's, I'll have to try it mounted 1-2cm up. I'll have to give the MFree's a shot, maybe I'll wait around for the 99's. Do you think the 99's will perform similarly on piste to the Enforcers?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks, that is much needed analysis. I tried the 186cm Enforcer's, I'll have to try it mounted 1-2cm up. I'll have to give the MFree's a shot, maybe I'll wait around for the 99's. Do you think the 99's will perform similarly on piste to the Enforcers?

Haven’t skied the MFree 99 yet but I’d guess the Enforcers will still be a bit more damp as they will be heavier but similar shape and flex pattern. MFree will be more surfy feeling I’m sure and lighter on their feet and the Enforcer more planted.
Thinking the radius of the MFree 99 in 185cm should be a hair longer than the Enforcers in 186cm so may be more willing to go straighter at speed. Anxious to try out the 99 as I love the 108.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What I'm finding with my Woodsman 102 is that in soft snow it feels surfy if you want to, but very directional and powerful when you want, and grips well for its width on groomers. .

Sponsor