• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One and Done

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs
There is a lot to un-pack in that Hart Ski movie!
One of my favorite Ski movies now too.
Great way to usher in my 205 Combination models when I finally get them, had to watch your movie until the end!
Glad I did, thanks for sharing.

I hope to have pics to post soon.
And eventually, line up my 60’s quiver:

Rossignol Strato
Head 320E
Red White and Blue K2 three’s
Fischer Glass GT
& Hart Javelin’s

:)
I'm glad you enjoyed the film. I look forward to the photos.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Smartwool ski socks. I bought some other similar types that were on clearance -- not even close to as good.

The Icebreaker ones have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I have 6 pairs of the same ski liner and 2 pairs developed small holes. Brought them to an Icebreaker store and they said they will exchange them. Didn't even need to present a receipt as they said they know they're their socks. Of course.

Problem is, with supply chain issues, they have no ski socks in store at all. This was 2 months ago. I keep calling every week or two to see if new socks have come in and nada.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
If I told you a single eBay bid of $19.99 won me these Hart Javelins, you might not believe me, but it is true.
Yet, shipping from California to North Carolina- still put my Hart Javelins acquisition north of $100.00 and that’s just the way it is.
Beautiful early Salomon bindings need a little T L C, as does some slight delaminating on the base at the tails of the skis.

Attachments

• E674698B-2BA0-4E48-B655-85CF20A88A2D.jpeg
    E674698B-2BA0-4E48-B655-85CF20A88A2D.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 33
  • E1441429-7CCB-44A7-93B7-FF27DA0C5F61.jpeg
    E1441429-7CCB-44A7-93B7-FF27DA0C5F61.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 67546AEB-8819-475C-930C-ED6DE9A4072A.jpeg
    67546AEB-8819-475C-930C-ED6DE9A4072A.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 23
  • C6CD19B2-B05E-4721-B5C5-188D4CC43FC3.jpeg
    C6CD19B2-B05E-4721-B5C5-188D4CC43FC3.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
* In the picture of the Salomon heel bindings the function will be correct as shown with back panel closed but someone needs to be standing on the heel in a boot to have the clamping action stay downward.
Notice the Rossignol Like Emblem on the toes!

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Possibly Salomon 404 bindings from the early 70s/late 60s or something older. Runaway straps=bonus.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
-Zipfit leathers. I can't find another liner that comes even close to the control and comfort.
-Oakley Prizm Jade Iridium lens. Loubek gave me a pair a few years ago at the SV demo and it's the only lens that works for my lousy astimatism eyesight in full white out conditions and every other condition as well.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Let me correct my spelling-
I like how these Salomon’s don’t have a number yet.
:)
The Runaway straps are not complete, the red elastic connectors are gone, but I have a perfect set from when I mounted Salomon brakes and removed the straps from my original Fischer C4’s with 444’s - this was back in the mid to late 1970’s when ski brakes came about.
Then I swapped the toes with 555’s.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Many, many years ago I had a buddy who loved Icelantic Skis and he wouldn’t stop raving about his Shamans. The local ski hill had a rare Icelantic ski demo and I tried the Shamans and a few other models. I absolutely hated each of them and could only tolerate one run on each. I didn’t have the heart to tell my friend what I really thought of his beloved Shamans! I’m sure they have some decent skis now but it is one of the few brands which I completely ignore and have zero interest in trying again.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If I told you a single eBay bid of $19.99 won me these Hart Javelins, you might not believe me, but it is true.
Yet, shipping from California to North Carolina- still put my Hart Javelins acquisition north of $100.00 and that’s just the way it is.
Beautiful early Salomon bindings need a little T L C, as does some slight delaminating on the base at the tails of the skis.
Beautiful. What BSL. What boots will you use with them? Leather? Vintage plastic?

The 'rossi-like' logo indicates they are French. I'm not sure how the cross over from meaning French to a Rossi logo came about other than Rossi is a French company.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
@Doug Briggs,
This pair of hart Javelin’s are 205cm “Combination” -
Basically I cannot bend them lol.
But- new goal: Ski them like in your movie!!

For boots, possibly my Herman Munster Langes!
My lace up Avanti’s are more suited for the one pair of wooden Northlands I have with cable bindings.

Attachments

• 34835C27-9A5E-4081-8CFB-2808C3DF7654.jpeg
    34835C27-9A5E-4081-8CFB-2808C3DF7654.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 28
TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Beautiful. What BSL. What boots will you use with them? Leather? Vintage plastic?

The 'rossi-like' logo indicates they are French. I'm not sure how the cross over from meaning French to a Rossi logo came about other than Rossi is a French company.
The French Fighting Cock is the logo that was give to companies that gave their products to the French Olympic Team. In the 60's and 70's Rossignol gave their products to the French Olympic Team so they got to use the logo, and at the same time in the USA Rossignol became a big seller of skis based on the Strato 102, ST 650 and the ROC 550. So people in the USA started to believe that the logo was a Rossignol emblem but it really wasn't just for Rossignol. This is how it was explained to me by one of the tech reps back when I was working in the ski shops.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's one that's sure to be unpopular here. Our first (and only) trip to Costco 20 years ago was a total and complete disaster. My boss gave everyone at work free memberships there and we made the mistake of going the weekend after it opened.. No place to park, circled the lot for 45 minutes.. No carts available.. had to wait in a line of people outside also waiting for people leaving the store to follow them to their car and grab a cart. Then after we finally got in there and walked around for an hour we didn't see anything there we didn't feel we could do better on at Sam's Club.

I know that was a very bad sample experience and not typical.. And I'm also pretty happy with how much better Costco treats their employees than Wally World and Sam's Club do. But, regardless, we never went back to give Costco another try.. Sam's is a lot closer to our house, that's a big plus for us.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here's one that's sure to be unpopular here. Our first (and only) trip to Costco 20 years ago was a total and complete disaster. My boss gave everyone at work free memberships there and we made the mistake of going the weekend after it opened.. No place to park, circled the lot for 45 minutes.. No carts available.. had to wait in a line of people outside also waiting for people leaving the store to follow them to their car and grab a cart. Then after we finally got in there and walked around for an hour we didn't see anything there we didn't feel we could do better on at Sam's Club.

I know that was a very bad sample experience and not typical.. And I'm also pretty happy with how much better Costco treats their employees than Wally World and Sam's Club do. But, regardless, we never went back to give Costco another try.. Sam's is a lot closer to our house, that's a big plus for us.
I came across this post the day after my wife and I dropped ~$3k at Costco. We love it. I can, however, relate to your experience. I will not go near the place from mid November to mid January to avoid the holiday insanity and I try to go on weekdays whenever possible. I have also been known to bail if the parking lot is too crazy. You can almost always find a spot but if the parking lot is bad the store will be worse. I try to avoid Walmart around here at all costs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

We have both Costco and Sams Club memberships an use them both. We buy enough at Costco every year to cover the cost of the membership in our rebate chec, plus alcohol gives you the 2% where Sams does not, so we have just the regular membership there since we never got enough rebate to cover the price difference. At our Sams, we feel the meats, specifically the beef is better and more reasonable err ... less expensive. We also love the scan & go self checkout that can done right on the phone, Costco needs this an if Walmat had it, we very well would shop there more often. The Costco self checkout is rediculous, you have to unload your cart onto an area the size of a bathroom scale.

Gas at our Sams is basically drive up to the pump where Costco can be 6-10 cars deep in every line and both are about the same (discounted) price.

We don't have a BJ's Warehouse here, I had one back in Philly but honesty forget how they compare now.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Brand loyalty is something that many of us use when making our buying decisions. So I started to think of all the skis I have owned how many have been from the same manufacture and how many have been one and done brands? What do you think PUGSKI community what have been your One and Done brands and if you care to share why, feel free to add your thoughts.
On nordic skis, my first couple pairs were Fischer, then a couple Visus.

But after that, it's only been Madshus. So not one and done. But done. Probably forever.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On nordic skis, my first couple pairs were Fischer, then a couple Visus.

But after that, it's only been Madshus. So not one and done. But done. Probably forever.
"Done" No nordic? Or no Fischer/Visus?

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One and Done
Early Performance Ski Quiver!
Black HEAD skis are 320E’s
Scale: Javelin’s are 205cm
Didn't you get a pair of Dynamic VR17 skis?