• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One bike to rule them all!

You can have only one bike for all conditions. What will it be?

• Road

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • MTB XC

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • MTB Enduro

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • MTB Downhill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravel

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • BMX

• Unicycle

• Other

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm having a grand time riding my MTB. I'm also spending an inordinate amount of time looking through tons of different threads, reviews, and other online outlets about all things bike. It made me wonder, if you could only have one bike to do all or most types of riding, what would it be? I know I've missed super specific bikes like cyclecross or time trial, but that's what the "other" selection is for. Just a little something to think about until the lifts spin!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I'm having a grand time riding my MTB. I'm also spending an inordinate amount of time looking through tons of different threads, reviews, and other online outlets about all things bike. It made me wonder, if you could only have one bike to do all or most types of riding, what would it be? I know I've missed super specific bikes like cyclecross or time trial, but that's what the "other" selection is for. Just a little something to think about until the lifts spin!
You missed all the E options.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess it depends on what you call "all conditions." I see two voters have chosen Enduro MTB. Presumably they aren't planning ever to ride a century with a bunch of roadies. I chose gravel because about 40% of my rides are on pavement. If that was really the only bike I had, obviously I would be cutting back on the technical difficulty of some of my trail rides.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You missed all the E options.
I figured it went without saying! Actually, I thought about it and figured the type of bike was more important than the extra help.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah I'm like Tony. I'd be looking at a 2x gravel bike. I actually am looking... This way you can put 28s on for road rides, 42s if you're doing gravel, which we have a lot mixed in up north, you can do hardpack provided it's not anything stupid. And I kinda hate driving to MTB destinations, which is my deal. So dollar for dollar based on miles ridden, nice gravel bike with short-ish wheelbase.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My main bike is a gravel bike. But I chose CC MTB if I really had to have an all conditions bike. At the end of the day, I'd rather ride the MTB on the road than ride the gravel bike on a tough, technical downhill. I still think the gravel bike is more versatile, I just think the extremes dictate the answer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am going to run what I brung and stick with my (e)MTB XC. The only road riding I am willing to subject myself to is around my neighborhood and that just to ride to the trail head or maybe the grocery store. We have don't have a lot of rails to trails here so a gravel is not high on the list.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I ride road, mountain and gravel, so I'd get something like the Specialized Diverge (with the future shock) and with 3 set of wheels: (1) 700c x 28mm road (2) 700c x 38mm Gravel (3) 2.1" on 650b for chunky terrain. That would cover a huge range of surfaces to ride relatively well.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My main bike is a gravel bike. But I chose CC MTB if I really had to have an all conditions bike. At the end of the day, I'd rather ride the MTB on the road than ride the gravel bike on a tough, technical downhill. I still think the gravel bike is more versatile, I just think the extremes dictate the answer.

This thread has already been won. Witnesseth:
1634515238671.png

and,

1634515331815.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
To be honest I rode my 29er as both road and MTB and it weren't that bad. The hand positions got to my and I ran bar ends. I know, not very fashionable!! But really it wasn't bad. I just happen to be doing more road-ish these days.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Enduro. I am not racing anyone, strictly doing it for fun, being out there and exercise.
Even though I have a road bike I really don’t need to ride it unless I can’t ride my mountain bike.

Oh, there’s a rock. Should I go around it? Nah :bikewheelie:!
C5615E42-4060-45CC-8905-467393EC4E89.gif

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I think it is a pretty binary choice: you like either road bikes or mountain bikes. You pick your favorite poison and then buy something that fits that and your budget. For all other stuff you rent or keep dreaming.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online