• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One bike to rule them all!

You can have only one bike for all conditions. What will it be?

• Road

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • MTB XC

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • MTB Enduro

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • MTB Downhill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravel

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • BMX

• Unicycle

• Other

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Before you draw up any firm category distinctions, remember - a successful distinction is a niche in disguise.

Downcountry bikes are awesome unless you are a "heavy" rider, say 200 lbs +. The beefier components in Trail/AM bikes are very very welcome.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
However, in needs to be pointed out that recently with the advent of those real fat 650b tyres the line between XC MTB and a Gravel is becoming more and more blurred.
Don't get me wrong, I am still not giving up a 100 mil travel front suspension in exchange for more comfy handlebars, but it is pretty close.

C21_C15251M_Topstone_Crb_Lefty_CML_PD.png

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have a problem with this kind of forks. Probably why I will never buy a Cannondale (these were the ones with such forks, no?)-I always imagine a one legged dog. I mean three legged, but you know what I mean-one at the front.
Dunno.....just looks....wrong.
I'm not a great fan of the Lefty although they have solved most of the problems with them. I don't think they are the only Gravel bike w/ a suspension fork and 650c tires. But I am not sure I know of any with nominal rear travel also (20mm).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not a great fan of the Lefty although they have solved most of the problems with them. I don't think they are the only Gravel bike w/ a suspension fork and 650c tires. But I am not sure I know of any with nominal rear travel also (20mm).

Niner MCR 9 RDO

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been in my usual fall "oh no, the season could end any day" flurry of riding, and have determined what my one bike would be, if a gun were held to my head:

Supercaliber with a 120 COIL SPRING fork and a couple sets of wheels.

But I sure would miss the fat bike!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have a problem with this kind of forks. Probably why I will never buy a Cannondale (these were the ones with such forks, no?)-I always imagine a one legged dog. I mean three legged, but you know what I mean-one at the front.
Dunno.....just looks....wrong.

Have a look at the Cape Epic - and the ridiculous number of Lefty forks.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can't help myself but I just hate how they look, not to mention around here it's called "dentist bike" (meaning it's ridden by rich dentists who have no idea about cycling, but have plenty of money to buy most expensive showoff equipment) :D Another thing is, that deep in my head it just feels soft and unstable. I know I know, I have been riding it for few weeks myself, and I still can't get it how it's possible, but Lefty is 10 times more stable and stiff then any other fork I have ever been riding. So I agree it's awesome bike, but I still don't like it :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So I agree it's awesome bike, but I still don't like it :)

Note to self - never trust Primož' reviews :D

I can't help myself but I just hate how they look, not to mention around here it's called "dentist bike" (meaning it's ridden by rich dentists who have no idea about cycling, but have plenty of money to buy most expensive showoff equipment) :D

In a nice irony, there's a guy in NB who has a complete system to modify them for junior riders on 22"-26" wheels. His daughter's bike is in the background:

1635244076719.png

There's a fair bit more going on than you'd think:

1635244533289.png

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@cantunamunch I thought it was common knowledge to never trust that. That's why I don't do reviews :P
I was riding old Scalpel, with old style Lefty, but for new/current one, I think they could fit to any bike nowadays or did I got that wrong?
As I wrote, I really don't like how they look, but it rides great for me. Lefty is really impressive... as long as it works, because at least around here, I heard there's not a single person in country who can service them properly. For my Fox, I do most of servicing myself. Maybe if I would have Lefty I would learn that too, but from what I heard servicing them is closer to rocket science not bike. But then again, most of bike services have issues setting disc brakes so they don't rub so... :D

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"any" bike is a bit too strong, especially when we're talking 457, 507, 559 wheels.

But then again, most of bike services have issues setting disc brakes so they don't rub so... :D

Obviously you need more longer winters with less snow so the service guys have time to practice :D (Trying to avoid the r word).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@cantunamunch I meant with "any bike" more like "any modern 29er xc bike" :D
You are probably right about snowles winters, as in reality most of bike shops are in last few years all of a sudden ski service experts too, so obviously you are right about them not having enough time to practice basic bike service skills :D

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My LBS used to have a sign that said something along the lines of "Welcome! We service anything, no matter where you bought it. Except Lefty forks".

Service is not simple, and is typically needed much more frequently than regular forks.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a timely topic. I'm looking for a single bike to take on my travels. One that is lightweight and good for pavement with some off-pavement capabilities. As well, not too expensive as it will be hanging on the back of the trailer in all weather and exposed to theft possibilities. Off pavement would be limited to gravel/dirt roads like forest roads, campground roads, etc. No trails, single track, or extreme downhill/uphill.

The obvious answer is a "gravel bike," but hear me out.

I have a hardtail MTN bike and a carbon/Ultegra road bike. I usually take the mountain bike and that works fine but is a bit heavy and clumsy for road rides and sometimes I yearn for the lightweight comfort of the road bike. I would take the road bike if traveling for an event like a grand fondo somewhere, but otherwise not.

My idea is a sort of cross between a hybrid/fitness bike and a flat bar gravel bike. Prolly go Alum frame to keep cost down. Actually, a fitness bike with road gearing and a bit wider tires (~38mm) would be the ideal setup. Just jump on it and go. Casual but efficient and comfortable. Flat pedals. etc.

The most interesting I have found is indeed a flat bar gravel bike. The only thing, I'm unfamiliar with a 1X drivetrain. Wondering how it would work for mostly road riding?
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-dsx-1

Other ideas?

Sponsor

Staff online