• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One bike to rule them all!

You can have only one bike for all conditions. What will it be?

• Road

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • MTB XC

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • MTB Enduro

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • MTB Downhill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravel

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • BMX

• Unicycle

• Other

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am a hack.

I have a road bike I use for roads and paved rail trails.

For all else and even some road rides I use my mtb, a FSXC 29er. I don't care about efficiency or speed. I care about getting out and getting some exercise.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eh, just start keeping a notepad or spreadsheet with what works for you. You can dig into theory and calculations as you go, but it's super important to start now and stay with it. Without your own notes it's too easy to fall prey to flavour-of-the-day marketing.

My spreadsheet is not terribly complicated; I just keep track of the lower triangle defined by axles and bottom bracket and the upper triangle defined by touch points. No bike theory required. You do need Heron's formula for BB drop, but that's just 3000 year old triangle geometry :)

Yup, or my approach, which is buy what seems right, then, occasionally, I have to adjust the seatpost setback and/or stem length.

And in today's market, I believe my approach to have more real world applicability! ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup, or my approach, which is buy what seems right, then, occasionally, I have to adjust the seatpost setback and/or stem length.

And in today's market, I believe my approach to have more real world applicability! ;)

Ah, yes... good old ad-hoccery :D

@teejaywhy - here is another 'gravel' platform that is *much* more flatland-oriented than the Marin you were looking at.
It is close to being a complete opposite while still being in the same category at approximately the same price point. Have a look at the geo side by side and see if you can spot the differences.

Last edited: