• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One bike to rule them all!

You can have only one bike for all conditions. What will it be?

• Road

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • MTB XC

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • MTB Enduro

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • MTB Downhill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravel

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • BMX

• Unicycle

• Other

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm having a grand time riding my MTB. I'm also spending an inordinate amount of time looking through tons of different threads, reviews, and other online outlets about all things bike. It made me wonder, if you could only have one bike to do all or most types of riding, what would it be? I know I've missed super specific bikes like cyclecross or time trial, but that's what the "other" selection is for. Just a little something to think about until the lifts spin!

I have both a 1x Gravel bike and a MTB All-Mtn bike. The Gravel bike gets more use because I use it on pavement as well as some singletrack. It is a super versatile bike since you can change its capability by swapping tires. The MTB is really more fun on appropriate trails.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I need two bikes. Gravel bike will cover everything I need from April to October. But for the rest of the year if I even want to dream of riding a bike outdoors, I need a fat bike.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
At one point I considered converting an old SOMA 29er into something like the first photo.

The lower triangle is a bit like the old Soma Valhallen but the upper not so much. The Soma has far more reach and far more stack (and longer chainstays) to get there.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Originally I put enduro...but changed to "Other" once I realized that was an option. my first choice would be a trail MTB...more travel than a XC, but not quite as capable on rugged terrain as enduro.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LIke Lauren, I find the poll flawed, and would choose a trail MTB. Specifically my current 130/140 Fuel EX.

And a gravel bike.

And a fat bike.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The lower triangle is a bit like the old Soma Valhallen but the upper not so much. The Soma has far more reach and far more stack (and longer chainstays) to get there.
That is one of many reasons I didn't. I wanted those capabilities (and tires). But I was afraid the reach in particular would be too long. Just as I was contemplating it the "gravel bike" category exploded and I bought a true gravel bike instead.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MTB XC obviously.

Buuuuut, the second place-Gravel is just nano millimetres (or whatever a very short unit of distance is) behind.

Rather tough call that. Rather tough.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be looking at a 2x gravel bike.

Yes, 2x, that's important.

GRX in 46/30 works perfectly with 11/34 and, which is more important 11/40 cassette.

30/40...now we are talking.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Uuuuugggg! STOP this nonsense! Stop this crazy talk! Soon our S.O.s will question why we need multiple bikes. What's next? Them questioning why we need multiple skis?

Not to worry man. We should all agree, in relationships with our SOs, on the golden rule: I don't ask why you need 55 purses and 122 pairs of shoes (they call them with different names but they put them all on their feet, so it is all the same to me, and these are only tentative figures, maybe much more) you don't ask why I need 5 bikes, 12 pairs of skis and....well ALL those fishing rods.

You don't ask, I don't ask and we live together happily.

I stick to that.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That is one of many reasons I didn't. I wanted those capabilities (and tires). But I was afraid the reach in particular would be too long. Just as I was contemplating it the "gravel bike" category exploded and I bought a true gravel bike instead.

Sure, and it's kinda funny that 'gravel' has bounced back away from climbing/descending bikes towards a crit geometry.

That said, I really kinda want one of these sand racers. Yes, I know they would skid out climbing anything over 7-8% grade.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those just lurking clarify XC vs. Enduro in the MTB section?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Clearly you need a new bike!

Yes. Wanna be early adopters together ?

1634579496918.png

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
The beauty of a 29er XC bike is you can ride it on the paved or gravel to your heart's content. It is more work, but it will get the job done. I ride my xc bike with roadies all the time. I get a better workout than they do. I couldn't keep up with a super fast group, but in the group I ride with I can keep up just fine. A gravel bike isn't going to work in real mountain bike terrain.

A two wheel drive car will probably work for most of us 98% of the miles we drive, but we all have 4WD/AWD because that 2% is the most important to us. I mountain bike more than 2% of my miles, so XC it is.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One bike? Not a chance...
I couldn't possibly get down to twenty!

With all due respect Mr. Talbot but I have seen pictures of your collection and two things became pretty obvious:

1. You, sir, are an outlier.

2. I am jealous AF!

:ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The beauty of a 29er XC bike is you can ride it on the paved or gravel to your heart's content. It is more work, but it will get the job done. I ride my xc bike with roadies all the time. I get a better workout than they do. I couldn't keep up with a super fast group, but in the group I ride with I can keep up just fine. A gravel bike isn't going to work in real mountain bike terrain.

A two wheel drive car will probably work for most of us 98% of the miles we drive, but we all have 4WD/AWD because that 2% is the most important to us. I mountain bike more than 2% of my miles, so XC it is.

However, in needs to be pointed out that recently with the advent of those real fat 650b tyres the line between XC MTB and a Gravel is becoming more and more blurred.
Don't get me wrong, I am still not giving up a 100 mil travel front suspension in exchange for more comfy handlebars, but it is pretty close.

Sponsor

Staff online