• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One talus bone higher than the other

rolat8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Guys - on one of my feet, my talus bone is a little higher and became inflamed after 3 days of skiing (was only on the bunny hill for an hour) and obviously a beginner. The podiatrist said it'll happen every time I ski since the boots will rub against the bone but she doesn't know much about ski boots or the sport

Question for you professional boot fitters - can the boot be molded in such a way to give this talus bone more space?
Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are not symmetrical beings. Get with a fitter, where in the Empire state are you?

TS
R

rolat8

Skier
new york city / long island - what's the recommended fitter? Keep in mind I already bought my boots but bough them in another state

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The podiatrist said it'll happen every time I ski since the boots will rub against the bone but she doesn't know much about ski boots or the sport

Question for you professional boot fitters - can the boot be molded in such a way to give this talus bone more space?
Thanks
Can a boot be molded to provide more space? Yes, easily by a competent boot fitter.

Will making more space cure rubbing? Probably not. Rubbing = movement. Start with a good stable foundation for the foot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have custom footbeds? That will help stabilize the foot and reduce or eliminate movement, assuming the boot is a good fit. Then things can be done to address shell and liner issues if they still persist.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
new york city / long island - what's the recommended fitter? Keep in mind I already bought my boots but bough them in another state
Paging @KingGrump to the white courtesy phone.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Was the boot fitted by a boot fitter or random selection?
The boot you have may or may not be heat moldable.

SVT - no particular order.
Nick Blaylock, nicksbootfitting.com - Mount Snow
Bill Haight, GMOL, Bondville (Stratton)
Gary Longley, Startingate - Bondville (Stratton)

TS
R

rolat8

Skier
I got some basic $200 ski boots fitted by a very reputable shop in NH as you can see below since I'm a beginner but didn't expect to run into this issue. They also had my foot in some tool that learnt my feet's shape and then put the boots under some heat for 30 minutes (I think they said it'll speed up the break-in process) though I don't think this was a custom molding. If these aren't moldable, what ski boots would you suggest I go with? My podiatrist is pretty clear that the elevated talus bone isn't going to go away (it's about 2mm higher than the other foot). She can inject something to reduce it but it'll only come back.

Questions - for the shell/liner to be molded, is that only at the bottom of the foot or something can be done at the top too which touches the talus bone? Who/what shop would you recommend I go talk to and how much $$ do I need to budget in approximately

1641397014156.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who/what shop would you recommend I go talk to and how much $$ do I need to budget in approximately
You will need to budget at least what you spent on the boots. Personally I am not a fan of a low price/entry level boot, the reason they are able to keep the price low is the quality or lack of, in materials. Plus you are a beginner for a short time and will end up needing a new boot soon. I would not hesitate going back to the shop that sold you the boot.

TS
R

rolat8

Skier
Ok how about this question - for the shell/liner to be molded, is that only at the bottom of the foot or something can be done at the top too which touches the talus bone?

Thanks guys for all the help here!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok how about this question - for the shell/liner to be molded, is that only at the bottom of the foot or something can be done at the top too which touches the talus bone?

Thanks guys for all the help here!
A good boot fitter can work pretty much anywhere on the boot. They may work in the boot to drop your foot (and the other one too so they're even) or they can "raise the roof". Do you have custom footbeds? Job one is to stabilize the foot in the boot then work on other issues.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
going to be bold here but i am going to suggest that as an adult male (no matter what your ability level) a 75 flex boot is very soft, it may be that you over flex the boot which then is pressing, go see one of the recommended fitters in the area and see what they say, but prepare for the fact that what they can do might be limited IF they deem the boot too soft.

nobody on an internet forum can say for sure if a specific thing can help you, but an assessment with the fitter can open up a whole world of possibilities

TS
R

rolat8

Skier
Paging @KingGrump to the white courtesy phone ;)
Can you kindly recommend me a good reasonable boot fitter in the Long Island or NYC area? I'm in Queens so can travel to either location. My trip to NH didn't occur so I'm looking to get these fixed locally for my talus bone before a ski trip in mid-Feb to upstate NY

Thanks

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging @KingGrump to the white courtesy phone ;)
Can you kindly recommend me a good reasonable boot fitter in the Long Island or NYC area? I'm in Queens so can travel to either location. My trip to NH didn't occur so I'm looking to get these fixed locally for my talus bone before a ski trip in mid-Feb to upstate NY

Thanks

Sorry, can't help you with LI or NYC area.
My boot guy for the last 40+ years is Gary Longleg at Startingate.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Jeff Rich in NYC
Mastefit Founder/Owner. US orthotic lab is business name.