• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ongoing bike shortage article.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Not that we dont all know this but its a pretty good article explaining the shortage.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Soooo glad I ordered mine in the fall.
Now, I want some 165mm crank arms. Hope I can find some!

Reactions: Ron

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
This sounds exactly like the market for golf clubs! What used to have a 2-week turnaround is now 8-12 weeks if you are lucky! And the used club market is shrinking too!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Back when I golfed, I was SOOOOOO happy when Tiger-mania died. I could get good tee times, prices were falling...now that's all in the crapper again!

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back when I golfed, I was SOOOOOO happy when Tiger-mania died. I could get good tee times, prices were falling...now that's all in the crapper again!
Tee sheets are booked full every single day at my local courses. And a standard round of 18 has gone from 4hrs to 5:15 if I am lucky. I had to quit my club to join a more expensive club because I wasn’t able to get tee times 50% out of the times I put in a request...

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have some question about the premise that a huge number of these newbie riders will keep riding once things return to normal. I think a lot of them will think they are going to stick with it but going to the gym 3 or 4 days a week is a lot easier than packing up your bike and driving somewhere to go for a ride. It may take a year or two before these people realize they have a bike in their garage they never use and sell it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have some question about the premise that a huge number of these newbie riders will keep riding once things return to normal. I think a lot of them will think they are going to stick with it but going to the gym 3 or 4 days a week is a lot easier than packing up your bike and driving somewhere to go for a ride. It may take a year or two before these people realize they have a bike in their garage they never use and sell it.

The article is specifically directed to bikes intended for the established rider market - and there is no specific assumption of 'return to normal' meaning production and delivery lead times.

So, a huge number isn't needed. All they need is some portion of last years' mass influx of newbies transitioning to advanced bike purchases to affect both availability and pricing.

The point of 'it ain't gonna be normal this summer, and there will be more buyers in the market because the people that actually rode their Walmart specials and used-bike refurbs are sick of them' is a fair one to make.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, this thing will pop like a giant...whatever.

But when is another question altogether.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Not that we dont all know this but its a pretty good article explaining the shortage.

My Hightower LT was stolen back in Aug 2020 and I got the new version in September right away when I saw some were in stock. Glad I did. SC released the 2021's early due to the supply issue and they sold every one. I am afraid to take it out hahaha

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I was actually on the phone with Francis this week. Good guy, knows his stuff.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

There are a quite a bit of used bikes on the market but they go quick and mostly are lower end models being sold for too much $. People wanna make bank. Higher end models can still be found at some stores ($7,000+ builds). Lower end models havent been available for a long time.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I dont think you will find high-end bikes in 2021, the parts they need for the builds are not available.

scott43

Skier
I was trying to source some gruppos and yeah, mid-level is hard. DuraAce, not so bad. Tiagra, 105, Sora, not so much. 105 impossible I'd say. Hang onto what ya got!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Used mtb market is out of control. One of my customers just sold his OG Specialized Big Hit. The one with 26/24" wheels. Bike was DH'd for years, passed down to teen kid who destroyed it even further. Sold online for $550 in minutes.

I have a new pandemic customer who bought a 90's Super V with blown front and rear suspension for $500. He refuses to understand that it will cost him that much to have properly working suspension. He keeps buying the wrong parts on Ebay to try and make this thing work.

I sold 50% of my MTB's yesterday. Of course I started with only two bikes. I have 4 more arriving this week and then nothing for the foreseeable future.

We're only backed up two weeks on repairs, but Spring hasn't really kicked in yet here. Typically we'd have a two day turnaround this time of year.

scott43

Skier
Gotta hang onto old bikes parts like grim death... I have a nice Deore LX front hub I could get $50 for probably!! :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online