• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ongoing bike shortage article.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn. I was was hoping to take up mountain biking this summer because I can't find ammo for my other hobby!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I managed to pick up a used Haro BMX 20" for my older boy for $100 2 summers ago. He may move into it by the middle of summer. That was good luck...

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple weeks ago my wife and I went to the local bike shop to buy new bikes. She wanted and got an in-stock Specialized Sirrus X 3.0. I wanted an X 4.0 but they had a waiting list for my size. He said I wasn't likely to get one for 6 months or more so I bought an X 3.0 as well (different color at least). By the time this bike shortage is over I may be ready to upgrade to a mid-level Diverge.

Now I can start cluttering up this part of the forum ;)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thankfully have the bikes I need/want for the time being. However, I've been stocking on small consumable spares like brake pads, quick links, and chains. My new Fuel EX has 4-pot SLX brakes (MT7120)and takes a LO3A brake pad. That particular brake pad does not seem to exist, LBS can't get it from anyone and all the online shops I checked don't have it. It is somewhat infuriating because I know I'm going to need a second set of pads around August or so based on what I needed last year. There is a chance that the Saint/Zee pads will fit, LBS didn't have any in stock yet to check though.

They are not terribly optimistic for this summer, they so far have only been able to get a hold of about 10% of the number of mountain bikes they sold last year. They are both ordering bikes for 2022 and placing parts orders for next year as well in an attempt to stay ahead of the curve for repairs. Thankfully, half their gig is XC ski stuff and there hasn't been quite the same sort of issues there so far.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I thankfully have the bikes I need/want for the time being. However, I've been stocking on small consumable spares like brake pads, quick links, and chains. My new Fuel EX has 4-pot SLX brakes (MT7120)and takes a LO3A brake pad. That particular brake pad does not seem to exist, LBS can't get it from anyone and all the online shops I checked don't have it. It is somewhat infuriating because I know I'm going to need a second set of pads around August or so based on what I needed last year. There is a chance that the Saint/Zee pads will fit, LBS didn't have any in stock yet to check though.

Shoot me a PM if you need a pair. I stocked up on these.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn. I was was hoping to take up mountain biking this summer because I can't find ammo for my other hobby!
Andy, what size would you want and what's your budget? I know of a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 in a large, brand new. The shop da man works at also has 40 new bikes being built. I have NO idea what models, but I could definitely find out.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah. Just one of many bicycle part hoarders these days. It's much easier to buy bicycle parts when you don't have to pay for bicycles every month.
How's your shop doing on getting new bikes in, particularly those in the mid-to-high-end range?

And I might need a pair of those brake pads, too! I have the same brakes on my new bike. Some years, I need new ones later in the season, some years I don't. Seems I wear through SRAM faster, though. I definitely didn't wear out the Shimano XT from last year. That was a lot of stopping power for my 125 pounds.

ETA I was able to find 165mm crank arms to replace the 175 ones that came with the bike but had to pay full pop on Amazon (ugh.)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Either of these work with XT brakes. The non-finned ones are tough to find, but DO NOT RATTLE, and the others are the resin version of your pads (my personal preference):

IMG_3901.JPG

Jersey Skier

Skier
How's your shop doing on getting new bikes in, particularly those in the mid-to-high-end range?

And I might need a pair of those brake pads, too! I have the same brakes on my new bike. Some years, I need new ones later in the season, some years I don't. Seems I wear through SRAM faster, though. I definitely didn't wear out the Shimano XT from last year. That was a lot of stopping power for my 125 pounds.

ETA I was able to find 165mm crank arms to replace the 175 ones that came with the bike but had to pay full pop on Amazon (ugh.)

Any high end bikes (and there have only been a few) have been sold long before they arrive. Specialized only lets us know what is coming within the next 45 days. I have 2 bikes coming in that time period. The Stumpjumper Comp was ordered the day they released the new models. I sold it three weeks ago when it was supposed to be here by the 6th. Now they moved the date to the 30th, so that will be one upset customer. The other bike I have arriving is a 24" that was a birthday gift for someone back in September. That date was changed so many times that I refunded the deposit to the customer back in January. That one didn't upset me as much since I sold it at the $400 price at the time and it has since gone up to $500. I would have made nothing.

I also sell Jamis and while I've received 45 bikes from them in the past 2 months, none are were over $700 and half were kid's bikes. They give no idea if or when anything else might come so I can't pre-sell them. But, since they are cheap, they gone within a week.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
supply of small frames seems to be limited but certainly a few in the CO/UT area. My friend just bought a mid-level ($6500) Diverge and had located 3 in the CO area including one here in Steamboat. He also found a couple treks and a Santa Cruz. It seems like there are a few here and there. Moots told him they were taking orders for 4th quarter delivery

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, sorry for what you are going through, @Jersey Skier. It makes it impossible to run a business if you don't have your main product to sell. Stay safe. The local shop I've bought a bunch of bikes from just shut down due to a covid outbreak:

Jersey Skier

Skier
Wow, sorry for what you are going through, @Jersey Skier. It makes it impossible to run a business if you don't have your main product to sell. Stay safe. The local shop I've bought a bunch of bikes from just shut down due to a covid outbreak:

Not gonna lie. Profitability has been way up since the original lockdown. Repairs are always higher margin and there seems to be an endless supply of broken bikes. Now I spend my time just hunting parts.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Clearly you didn't have what you needed on hand.
Good to be prepared
So you have what you need for range practice?? Or, is hoarding for the apocalypse your hobby?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, what size would you want and what's your budget? I know of a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 in a large, brand new. The shop da man works at also has 40 new bikes being built. I have NO idea what models, but I could definitely find out.
I don't even know what size I would need and, looking at the Trek Fuel, it's out of my range, probably both in price and need. I haven't thrown my leg over a bike saddle in years, maybe 15 or so, so I'm not even sure it's something that I'd be in to. I may have to borrow @Tricia's or @Philpug's e-bike to see if I even enjoy it. I don't mind "cheating" if it gets me where I'm going!