• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ongoing bike shortage article.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went into my LBS today and was talking to The Man there. He told me that road group sets were 1 year out. Holy crap.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered the 2x crank set instead of the 1x. Finding a 1x in a 165 is proving impossible. :doh:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I don't notice any more folks out riding than any prior year where I am.
Nothing creates 'demand' like something not being available. Are all the new bike sales
allegedly going to first time riders? If not what's wrong with their current bikes?

Last edited by a moderator:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing creates 'demand' like something not being available. Are all the new bike sales
allegedly going to first time riders? If not what's wrong with their current bikes?
It's a supply issue combined with increased demand. Yes, there is increased demand. The supply chains are a year+ behind.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Our parks, trails and roads were packed with new riders every day. Every parking lot was full with people parked illegally all over the roads. These were a combination of new riders and people who were suddenly wfh so they could sneak out during the day.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I went into my LBS today and was talking to The Man there. He told me that road group sets were 1 year out. Holy crap.
I had thoughts of helping out some friends and building some bikes from scratch. That ended quickly when I couldn't find gruppos anywhere.. nevermind at a good price...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't seen this much carbon fibre and Rapha ever..

This reminds me of the best cycling parody video ever, where Ruckus Composites pokes fun at Allen Lim's overly-serious approach to everything (and rice cakes in particular) with a video on preparing corn dogs for mid-ride consumption.

Can't find the darn thing, but this will give you the picture:

It's a thing.. The amount of money being dumped in the cycling market.... Good times for bike shops.

When the fun hit last spring, I told my LBS -- which has supported my racing sickness for over 15 years -- that I would be paying retail from now on. Didn't want them failing.

Well, much to everybody's surprise, they had their best year ever, and bully for them!

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All this talk of chains and pads got me nervous. Fortunately though there’s still 9sp and rim brake stuff readily available. :)

Jersey Skier

Skier
I had thoughts of helping out some friends and building some bikes from scratch. That ended quickly when I couldn't find gruppos anywhere.. nevermind at a good price...

Jamis had a bunch of old frames on sale they were trying to get me to buy. I had no idea where I could get enough parts to build them up. I believe they still have them.

scott43

Skier
Jamis had a bunch of old frames on sale they were trying to get me to buy. I had no idea where I could get enough parts to build them up. I believe they still have them.
We can't buy Jamis from the US. Some distributor issue. But yeah, no parts anyway. My buddy put money down on four bikes, not a lot, and they've ghosted him. What can you do...

Jersey Skier

Skier
We can't buy Jamis from the US. Some distributor issue. But yeah, no parts anyway. My buddy put money down on four bikes, not a lot, and they've ghosted him. What can you do...

I've offered to refund all the deposits I took last year for bikes that still haven't arrived. Most people just want the bike, not the money. My problem is I don't have an answer as to when they might get their bikes and they call constantly for updates.

scott43

Skier
I've offered to refund all the deposits I took last year for bikes that still haven't arrived. Most people just want the bike, not the money. My problem is I don't have an answer as to when they might get their bikes and they call constantly for updates.
Yeah it's totally not the shop's fault just an unprecedented situation. As you say he couldn't really care less about the money he just wants his bikes. What can you do? I wish I could help but if shops can't get stuff how will I??

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My kid and i just randomly needed new bikes and did fine on craigslist. Mine was about 10 years due for a replacement and he is 5'5 so needed an adult frame.

Its stupid the crap people are trying to sell now for $800 on craigslist hell i can post my old one for 1000 but would get 1000 tire kickers and my wife can use plus its a backup xt 1x11.

Are brake pads and stuff hard to get too?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are brake pads and stuff hard to get too?

Yes and no, it depends on how picky you are and where you are at. In my case, I live at the end of the line for most things in Alaska, it was never the easiest to get some things even pre-covid. In particular, the finned pads that came with my bike don't seem to exist anywhere. But I did get some alternative pads from my LBS and online from MTXbraking that will fit. As long as you are okay with getting different brands and stuff it shouldn't be too bad..

That said, seeing the looks in the eyes of my friends at the LBS.. things are not getting easier to get a hold of and they look worried.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I just sold my Diamondback Mission Pro very quickly and for close to full asking price. Had people from all over the country offering to buy it site unseen and pay for shipping. There is a 2-3 week wait at most bike shops to pack a bike for shipping, something that I would have insisted on. First buyer who came to look at it was a teenager who had saved all year to buy a new mountain bike. The kid knew his stuff and asked all the right questions. I ended up cutting him a break and selling to him vs. full price to an out of state buyer. I think this bike means a heck of a lot more to this kid than any of the other buyers who reached out to me. Mountain biking is his life and he had been struggling to find a good bike in his price range. Glad the bike is going to a good home.

Based on the responses I had it was clear I could have easily sold this bike for significantly more $$ and this is entirely being driven by the fact that it is next to impossible to find bikes both new and used. Our bike shortage is in full swing and not letting up. I am sure someone is making a lot of $$ off this situation and there is no sign that it will let up anytime soon. If you want to sell an old bike now is a great time. On the other hand if you want to buy a bike you are in for a wild ride.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor