• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Ontario, Canada Ski resorts to close, please sign attached petition...

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not sure how many from Ontario follow Pugski but if you do please, if you haven't seen and signed this petition yet, please do to get the government to reconsider Ski Resort closures in Ontario as part of the Lock Down.
I know Covid is going way up there, but ski hills are a way to get exercise and if following protocols with distancing and mask wearing I believe they are safe. All I have been to have done a great job of keeping people safe, indoor areas closed and other protocols. If they weren't following protocols I can see them closing the resort, but they are limiting sales and sold passes and lift tickets based on these protocols. It seems so unfair to close them now after the paid to set up special web sites and protocols. The virus has been spreading but not from these ski hills in particular. Likely from Christmas shopping, schools, Christmas gatherings indoors etc. So sign the petition and help people keep their jobs and be able to ski with protocols in place.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Already signed last night!! I felt safer at Tremblant last weekend then today at the grocery store!

I wish they would close the Colorado resorts because starting this week through spring break I can't go to the grocery store and feel safe :(

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wish they would close the Colorado resorts because starting this week through spring break I can't go to the grocery store and feel safe :(
I haven't felt safe in a grocery store in months. I pretty much order everything in or curb side pick up. Stores are worst in my area, too many think masks don't work and it's all over blown. *Shrugs* I'll keep ordering in when possible, since i haven't figured out a way to stay safe while shopping

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Shut down the travel and reduce the large number of people migrating to destinations.. leave the resorts open for locals only.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yI live just outside T.O., while I feel the government’s F’d up by not enforcing rules to be put in the position we are in now. However, we need to control this or be in really bad shape.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@Lady_Salina - I felt safer at Tremblant last weekend then today at the grocery store. I'm sure the ski industry in Ontario can do better than any big box store here. They have plans in place that are more strict than going to Wal-Mart.

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Lady_Salina - I felt safer at Tremblant last weekend then today at the grocery store. I'm sure the ski industry in Ontario can do better than any big box store here. They have plans in place that are more strict than going to Wal-Mart.
I know. Worse they all put out dollars to upgrade systems to touchless, install sani stations, kiosks at MSLM to get your tickets, all sorts of things, so after they did everything they needed to meet the strict covid protocols and put out the money to make it safe the gov't shuts them down anyhow as non essential? Seems very unfair after they sold passes and tickets and now have to refund people...

d10230

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I ski at one of the private clubs up in Collingwood and the membership has spent a considerable amount of money to upgrade the facilities in anticipation of the holiday season. Extremely disappointing to hear that it was all forced to shut down but also not surprised. While skiing is a safe activity, it’s the behaviour. When things are half open but others closed, it sends an inconsistent message to the public. This lockdown is an effort to be more consistent to say, stay home unless it’s absolutely necessary for you to leave your home.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski at one of the private clubs up in Collingwood and the membership has spent a considerable amount of money to upgrade the facilities in anticipation of the holiday season. Extremely disappointing to hear that it was all forced to shut down but also not surprised. While skiing is a safe activity, it’s the behaviour. When things are half open but others closed, it sends an inconsistent message to the public. This lockdown is an effort to be more consistent to say, stay home unless it’s absolutely necessary for you to leave your home.
The lockdown isn’t to be more consistent, its about an easier solution to ensure people maintain 1. Social distance rules 2. Lack of wearing masks correctly (proper masks at that) and 3. Lack of enforcement of rules by the government.

Sad part is unless enforcement happens, rules will not be followed consistently and lock down will occur again once lifted. Question becomes when does survival (social/economic) determine when screw all the (lock downs and partial lock down) rules completely occurs? Hopefully not but it is brewing.

d10230

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The lockdown isn’t to be more consistent, its about an easier solution to ensure people maintain 1. Social distance rules 2. Lack of wearing masks correctly (proper masks at that) and 3. Lack of enforcement of rules by the government.

Sad part is unless enforcement happens, rules will not be followed consistently and lock down will occur again once lifted. Question becomes when does survival (social/economic) determine when screw all the (lock downs and partial lock down) rules completely occurs? Hopefully not but it is brewing.
The anti-lockdown sentiment has been brewing for months, especially with this second wave it’s been more obvious. Especially the crazy BBQ guy who went nuts... It got more attention than it deserved.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I agree with a friend's suggestion....close the 401 to CVOR truck traffic only. So delivery trucks, semi's and business trucks with Commercial vehicle operator registrations only. That will keep the people in the GTA and not down here in The County. They will only drive hwy 2 once and never again. We were flooded with people before the lock down shopping at the Mall because we Yellow and GTA locked down.

All the ski hills/resorts had policies in place to work with this and keep people safe. I totally understand the sentiments from the GM's of Calabogie and Blue. If I lived in Ottawa, I can go to Camp Fortune, but not to Calabogie or Pakenham. And Quebec lock down opens earlier than southern Ontario. Be interesting to see if it gets extended.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
By no means am I anti-lockdown. The issue is ensuring people follow safety rules and lock down is not required.

The solution to this is to ensure we create a manageable solution, one that does not increase money problems (government and people can’t afford it), mental health stress primarily caused by how am I going to afford living (money or lack there of), final health (non COVID) how many people have died as a direct result of lack of health care because our focus is on COVID (I personally have had a family member die because cancer treatment was suspended, healthcare professional that made that decision, KARMA is a b@&$#h) and finally COVID there are easier and less costly overall solutions to address the few that get sick, provide people follows the rules (enforced if needed).

IMHO lockdown is effective, it is just a result of stupid individuals not following rules and short sighted governance that is taking the easy way out not realizing the actual cost and collateral damage.

There are better and less cost solutions.

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well since my mother lives in Hamilton and my children and grand children in Barrie I'm very interested in not having to worry about them and seeing numbers come down. I haven't seen my mother since I was in Ontario for my Level 4 training February/March or my children. I've been hauled up in the US, South Carolina. Our active cases number per 100k population are currently 60% of Barrie's and 1/3 of Hamilton and 1/5 of Peel and Toronto. But we have lowered our numbers through measures to distance, public education, keep restaurants and bars to take out only when needed, no cinemas, large gatherings (church) and other measures. I know we will spike again after Christmas Travel, we have been dropping Thanksgiving gatherings. I still believe there is ways to lock down the offenders that cause mass transfers of the virus without locking down ski hills and out door venues as they have taken measures to prevent the transfer of the virus and it doesn't transfer effectively outside as it does indoors. So I don't believe in punishing all because some venues and gathering are superspreading events.

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Jilly lol. I was just going to post that here. I hope they manage to get these resorts open again. Seems crazy to shut a sports venue that can be operated safely, give people needed stress relief, exercise, mental health break and safe family entertainment in an otherwise very bleak year.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
They called bylaw enforcement yesterday for no social distancing at a toboggan hill yesterday in Toronto. Ski hills have been managing crowds for years. From watching that video and what I've seen at Tremblant, I'd rather go skiing than to buy groceries. It's safer.

WHY ARE WE CLOSED!!

Also I like the fact that MSLM has RFID gates. The trip up is longer than the trip down, yet they can afford to do this. I though that this would be the year that Tremblant would go RFID. They could use the whole contactless approach to cut the union jobs. But they didn't.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel for operators like Mt St Louis. Family run, not a huge corporation, they constantly spend a lot of money on upgrading their facility.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
B.C. has banned all indoor and outdoor adult team sports, prompted not by the playing of the sports but due to locker room and post game socializing/get-togethers.

Ski resorts in B.C. have closed locker rooms and gear storage and limited indoor dining to small numbers, masks required indoors except when seated at a table. Face coverings (buffs, tubes, etc.) required for lift lines.

We are supposed to ski locally and I expect the banning of team sports will push more people to skiing.

4 Sun Peaks Grand Hotel employees have tested positive and they and people exposed to them are now in isolation. No hotel guests were exposed.

Sponsor

Staff online