• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Ontario, Canada Ski resorts to close, please sign attached petition...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I read it as, if you live in Toronto, Peel or York, you're to stay home, no travel for skiing. If you're not in those areas, and the destination you're going to is not locked down, ski resorts will likely reopen for those people. My guess. Except in North Bay where they've got a fairly serious outbreak of the UK variant they're trying to eradicate.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Seems like we were skiing when under the colour code COVID restrictions before the Christmas lockdown even with places in red and that’s were it’s moving over the next few weeks.

This Wednesday, areas Kingston/Renfrew County/Hastings Prince Edward go to Green and then any hills in that area I assume could open if there are any.

Feb 16 the rest of the province goes out of lockdown into colour codes except Toronto, Peel and York which stay till “at least till Feb 22”.

So I’m thinking/hoping after Feb 16 we can ski at a non Toronto hill?

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
My wife and I watched the press conference and she looked at me and said, "So can the ski hills open?". I was like shrug.

Went to Mount St. Louis and Horseshoe's web pages but nothing on them. They are probably trying to figure things out as well.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
What's in Toronto, York or Peel? Earl Bales and ??? Lakeridge is Durham?

My sons school rules are no in person school if travel outside the province within the prior 2 weeks. Therefore Quebec, Alberta and BC are now no longer an option with the return to school on Feb 16. I am hoping the ski areas can make some sense of today announcement.

Probably not a bad idea. MSLM was up in the air about re-opening.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What's in Toronto, York or Peel? Earl Bales and ??? Lakeridge is Durham?

No idea if there’s any hills in those regions but if there were, they could open up after their lockdown turns to the colour coding restrictions. Feb 16 for the hills I care about!

Talked to someone at Moonstone a few weeks ago and they were planning on opening when they could.
Can’t even get day tickets for Blue in February as they are all pre-sold out I saw!

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, Toronto, York and Peel are in lockdown..so we're not supposed to leave our houses to go anywhere. Snowmaking is great right now..freezing cold out there. Hidden Valley looks like they're readying to open Feb 12. We'll see.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I mean, Toronto, York and Peel are in lockdown..so we're not supposed to leave our houses to go anywhere. Snowmaking is great right now..freezing cold out there. Hidden Valley looks like they're readying to open Feb 12. We'll see.

Correct, Toronto in the lockdown till Feb 22 “at least” as it may be extended, so any person in that region should not be leaving for skiing anywhere till the lockdown ends. Feb 16(day after Family Day) is the first day all other Ontario resorts could open as there is no lockdown other than the Toronto area after that.

Don’t know if there are any ski resorts in the regions opening this Wednesday(Kingston area).

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jilly , What are the rules for going skiing in Quebec? I heard that you can only get a hotel room with people from the same address. Is that true?
So much misinformation going around, I don't know what to believe

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Well it won't get cancelled for lack of ice. People are skating on rivers here in Toronto but it's incredibly dangerous. North of Lake Simcoe ice is good and it's cold here now.

The hut operator just pulled the plug, so ice fishing is out. My best friend may want to join me but he'd have to go a day earlier. How busy is Bromont on a Saturday night? I'd probably go to whatever resort was least busy on Sunday which I presume would be Owl's Head(?)... How busy will it be there?

I don't want to get all the way there only to wait in ridiculous lineups, so if it were too bad I'd just wait the extra day and go solo.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
@graham418 - yes, you can only rent with your bubble. But most Air B n B's don't care and don't ask. There is no way the 6 people renting the condo across the deck from me for New years were from the same family.

@JoeSchmoe - because of social distancing there are long line ups. People are riding quads at 1 or 2 per chair. Even the gondola at Tremblant which seats 8 is being sent out with 2 people at the most that didn't come together.

Until they lift the curfew, no skiing at night. You need to be in your room by 8pm. And there are no restaurants open with inhouse dining yet. Take out only.

And then things can change anytime!!

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
@graham418 - yes, you can only rent with your bubble. But most Air B n B's don't care and don't ask. There is no way the 6 people renting the condo across the deck from me for New years were from the same family.

@JoeSchmoe - because of social distancing there are long line ups. People are riding quads at 1 or 2 per chair. Even the gondola at Tremblant which seats 8 is being sent out with 2 people at the most that didn't come together.

Until they lift the curfew, no skiing at night. You need to be in your room by 8pm. And there are no restaurants open with inhouse dining yet. Take out only.

And then things can change anytime!!

I plan on skiing from about 3-7pm on my first day in. Bromont is open until 730.

So you're saying even Owls Head would be a write off for lift lines on a Sunday?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My sons school rules are no in person school if travel outside the province within the prior 2 weeks. Therefore Quebec, Alberta and BC are now no longer an option with the return to school on Feb 16. I am hoping the ski areas can make some sense of today announcement.
Skiing in B.C. never was a legit option for Eastern skiers as people within B.C are being asked to not travel outside their region of the province other than for work or other important reason. So in B.C. it is "Ski locally".