• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Ontario, Canada Ski resorts to close, please sign attached petition...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
10-15cm forecast all over Ontario for Tuesday the 16th so hoping for “sleeper powder days”Tuesday and Wednesday.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any reports on lineups after opening day?

Longest I waited was maybe 5 mins at Blue Mountain in Collingwood with 30cm plus in spots and 10cm more during the day.

Guess it was a nightmare line with people picking up their memberships if they haven’t already.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Love my skiing, love my health more, I’ll pass and if the third wave links to skiers I’m going to be really pissed.

Think about it, really want another lock down.

Just clarify, I learned that not believing it can get worse only makes sure that it will (usually a lot worse), please don’t be stupid.

Stay safe.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Love my skiing, love my health more, I’ll pass and if the third wave links to skiers I’m going to be really pissed.

Think about it, really want another lock down.

Just clarify, I learned that not believing it can get worse only makes sure that it will (usually a lot worse), please don’t be stupid.

Stay safe.

When this whole thing blew up last year, I had the same view as you, given the grim projections of mass death across all age groups. As the data and evidence became more available, my outlook slowly changed.

Then at the end of May, my mother who was just 70 passed away. She was in the hospital since mid-March for a heart issue that they refused to treat with anything other than drugs. She needed surgery, but they didn't want to do anything but maintain her with medication. They never said as much, but it's clear now that they were saving that capacity in the hospital "in case" COVID blew up. It never did.

After 2 and a half months of not seeing her and not being able to advocate for her in person, she died of a cardiac arrest. They wouldn't even deliver her the flowers I brought for her on Mother's Day.

So, you can trust in the government all you want. For me, I'm taking my kids skiing tomorrow. I may also make it out to Quebec later this winter if hockey doesn't start back up.

Yes it's sad that we've lost so many seniors in long term care homes that were already at or close to end of life. But don't forget about the millions of kids that had close to a year (and counting) of their lives taken away. Don't forget about the ruined lives of the small business owners and others that have list their livelihoods. And don't forget about the people like my mom, that went undertreated due to the hysteria of what hasn't proven to be anywhere near as bad as promised.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have some inside info into the heath care system, and all are extremely concerned at the ease at which the UK version spreads, even with precautions, without precautions well might as well sign up for treatment.

@JoeSchmoe, we already lost one family member early after cancer treatment was put on hold during the early stages of COVID which allowed it to progress rapidly. From status quo to out of control, 2 months no treatment, painful suffering and death just before Christmas.

Serious caution with out lockdown at least till we have effective treatment and vaccines should be our motto, helps get our lives back on line with minor inconveniences vs major ones.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Just put the kids back in school after three months. Pretty sure there is slight panic about the variants currently taking hold. Pretty sure they'll be home again in two weeks. Already two exposures in daycare.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Yesterday the lines at Glen Eden were quite manageable. There were a lot of new skiers out though. This caused many extended lift stoppages, which resulted in some lineups of up to maybe 2-5 minutes.

One out of control snowboarder hit my 13 year old son from behind. Thankfully he was bigger than she was and he was okay.

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
I skied Hockley Valley on Wednesday night. Lines were not too bad, but they were not really enforcing physical distancing and proper mask wearing in line. The liftie actually asked my wife and I if a single could ride on our chair - it was only a four person chair. Ummm no. I was not impressed.

Skied Horseshoe and Mount St. Louis in December pre-shutdown and had much more positive experiences with how they were running things. I will be going back to those hills in March.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I skied Hockley Valley on Wednesday night. Lines were not too bad, but they were not really enforcing physical distancing and proper mask wearing in line. The liftie actually asked my wife and I if a single could ride on our chair - it was only a four person chair. Ummm no. I was not impressed.

Skied Horseshoe and Mount St. Louis in December pre-shutdown and had much more positive experiences with how they were running things. I will be going back to those hills in March.

Yesterday, my two kids and I went to Blue Mountain. The lifties as a rule were pairing up two singles or a double on the six pack lift with my kids and I. I don't know how they could possibly say that one empty seat would meet the 6ft physical separation guideline.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yesterday, my two kids and I went to Blue Mountain. The lifties as a rule were pairing up two singles or a double on the six pack lift with my kids and I. I don't know how they could possibly say that one empty seat would meet the 6ft physical separation guideline.
Maybe due to Covid ski resort management incompetence in Ontario, the Provincial Government knew who they were dealing with when they first shut down the Ontario ski resorts?

At Sun Peaks and I presume the rest of B.C., they have removed the singles line and one gets to ride single in a quad chair, unless you want to share. Although 2 skiers sharing a quad are more like 4-4.5 feet apart; definitely not 2 metres which is actually 6.5 feet.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to speak up. I ride with 2 others and just say to the liftie "3 singles" and we ride by ourselves. They have always respected our wishes

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
That is certainly not six feet. Interesting how experiences differ depending on the hill.

Skied Glen Eden this week. They were very professional, singles rode the quad alone, masks worn in the line. We really enjoyed the experience.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ontario guidelines were changed for the February re-opening and all that is now required is one seat space between households. So 3 singles can go up on a 6 pack or any combo of 2 different households with at least one chair space between those 2 groups. You can always go up single by yourself or just your group if you’d like.

Blue Mountain has been insane busy from the Re-opening with long lines from 9am on and CRAZY by noon. Parking lots full by 10am now. Went Friday morning after 2 great days at Moonstone with reasonable crowds all day and only skied 1.5 hours due to the cold, large crowds and snow making that instantly froze on your goggles going on many runs. Friday’s and weekends are apparently out of this world busy at Blue Mountain. Think I’ll just drive to Mont Tremblant instead the rest of the year except for trips to Moonstone.

Typical Blue line now. 1st picture is the line behind me and the next the line in front of me!

6F1CD110-2959-4714-9A92-23A8C6B8249E.jpeg 47429825-7FEF-43ED-9EB1-1C569E22474D.jpeg

Last edited:

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is going to Tremblant staying close to home in order to not risk/spread Covid?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is going to Tremblant staying close to home in order to not risk/spread Covid?

Depending on what all the areas colours are in by then I’ll decide if I’ll go or not. If my area is restricted as is Quebec, I definitely won’t go. Have been going out West every year for many seasons but didn’t this year because of CovidI work by myself outdoors in the car detailing business so I’ve been a cleaning/sanitation expert for 30 years so I was already a germ freak even before this! Been insanely vigilant the last year with avoiding people and that’s continuing this winter.

Currently Moonstone area is in grey Lockdown but allowed to stay open(but changing to Red Monday) and Collingwood in green but feel way less safe there with so many Toronto visitors who should be on lockdown still there.

Been a crazy year to say the least!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Ontario guidelines were changed for the February re-opening and all that is now required is one seat space between households. So 3 singles can go up on a 6 pack or any combo of 2 different households with at least one chair space between those 2 groups. You can always go up single by yourself or just your group if you’d like.

Blue Mountain has been insane busy from the Re-opening with long lines from 9am on and CRAZY by noon. Parking lots full by 10am now. Went Friday morning after 2 great days at Moonstone with reasonable crowds all day and only skied 1.5 hours due to the cold, large crowds and snow making that instantly froze on your goggles going on many runs. Friday’s and weekends are apparently out of this world busy at Blue Mountain. Think I’ll just drive to Mont Tremblant instead the rest of the year except for trips to Moonstone.

Typical Blue line now. 1st picture is the line behind me and the next the line in front of me!

View attachment 126672 View attachment 126673

A 45 minute line, a 5 minute lift ride, a 3 minute ski to the bottom and repeat, It's the reason I left Ontario for points west some 45 years ago.

Skiing in B.C vs skiing in Ontario; it's like two different sports.

Sponsor