• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Ontario, Canada Ski resorts to close, please sign attached petition...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A 45 minute line, a 5 minute lift ride, a 3 minute ski to the bottom and repeat, It's the reason I left Ontario for points west some 45 years ago.

Skiing in B.C vs skiing in Ontario; it's like two different sports.

The app shows the actual run time and it’s around 60 secs at Moonstone and 2-3 mins at Blue.

Missing my long trips out West this year to ski off a groomed run for longer than 3 mins! You know it’s bad when I’m bringing out my 118mm skis for crud here. Lol

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Ontario guidelines were changed for the February re-opening and all that is now required is one seat space between households. So 3 singles can go up on a 6 pack or any combo of 2 different households with at least one chair space between those 2 groups. You can always go up single by yourself or just your group if you’d like.

Blue Mountain has been insane busy from the Re-opening with long lines from 9am on and CRAZY by noon. Parking lots full by 10am now. Went Friday morning after 2 great days at Moonstone with reasonable crowds all day and only skied 1.5 hours due to the cold, large crowds and snow making that instantly froze on your goggles going on many runs. Friday’s and weekends are apparently out of this world busy at Blue Mountain. Think I’ll just drive to Mont Tremblant instead the rest of the year except for trips to Moonstone.

Typical Blue line now. 1st picture is the line behind me and the next the line in front of me!

View attachment 126672 View attachment 126673

On Tuesday the longest we waited in line might have been two or three minutes.

I used to live up that way and had a Blue pass. I wouldn't bother ever going on a weekend, or even a Friday. Midweek is fine.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
On Tuesday the longest we waited in line might have been two or three minutes.

I used to live up that way and had a Blue pass. I wouldn't bother ever going on a weekend, or even a Friday. Midweek is fine.

Been a 5 by 7 and now Ikon pass holder for about 7 years and this year is by far the worst I’ve seen for lines there. Even cold, crappy snow condition days like yesterday the parking lots were all full before 9:30-10am and lift lines were spanning outside of the corrals. Blue has even started sending out emails of “peak times to avoid” and according to their own charts, you should avoid most time slots on every single day of the week now!

Pondering going skiing next week on Tuesday but might drive extra 30 mins each way to ski the smaller Moonstone for shorter lines and much better snow conditions.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Toronto returns to grey on Monday...small stores can reopen but no gyms or restaurants. Remarkably they expect all over 60's to be vaccinated by end of May..remarkable because vaccine has been hard to come by...I have no idea if we will actually get shipments..apparently so? Taking the one kid to Glen Eden today..probably last day since we have 3 days of double-digits next week. Another spectacular ski year for me! :(

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
We're still in red restrict....no food, no bars, no fun!! But without the buses and Americans, it hasn't been too bad. I'll get lift line pics today.

We were at Tremblant Wednesday. Reasonably busy due to school break but apparently they had reached their max for ticket sales and waits weren't bad at all. Singles lines worked well. Should be "quiet" the rest of the season with the Ontario school break not happening in March. Have been enjoying some excellent conditions, though don't know what the coming warm spell this week will mean.

And I don't care about food or bars. My fun is on the slopes.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Didn't get any pics today....too damn cold. But it seems that there is a rush in the morning and it cools off around 11am till 1. And even in the afternoon it wasn't that busy compared to 10am....

My friends and I are suspecting that everyone is doing first tracks and leaving after 11am...

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
I was in Tremblant the last week of February and had the same experience Jilly outlined. Most people were gone by 1pm. The lifts were busier in the morning, but not too bad. The only wait we had more than 5 minutes was the TGV lift in the morning. In order to avoid the gondola, we would take the flying mile and the TGV to get to the top.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yeah, activities like living 8 to a household at a ski resort or 20 to a residence in migrant worker farm, or working inside a factory next to 17 other workers all breathing the same air during an air-borne virus pandemic and needing to believe you're not sick so you can go to work and get paid.

scott43

Skier
Yeah, activities like living 8 to a household at a ski resort or 20 to a residence in migrant worker farm, or working inside a factory next to 17 other workers all breathing the same air during an air-borne virus pandemic and needing to believe you're not sick so you can go to work and get paid.
This is the unfortunate piece that many disregard. It's the partying! No, it's people trying to make a living.

Reactions: Ogg
TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most of the cases are in the staff and that article is being kind about the staff conditions, when I am in staff accommodation there is 10 of us in a condo, sharing a kitchen and two fridges, and a laundry room. Anything goes around.

My brother was staying with a good friend of mine at Whistler each weekend on the couch which he paid $50.00 for and stopped because the staff {young) were taking no measures, not wearing masks, partying, sharing joints and he decided he couldn't risk staying with them and chose to share a hotel room or condo each weekend with another mountain host, both off this season.

Ontario ski hills don't have the round the world staff that Whistler does or the same exposure. There was several outbreaks at Whistler this year, starting when staff arrived in November. One of the staff buildings had to be assigned as a quarantine building; no one was supposed to come without having quarantined at their own expense for 14 days and negative covid tests, but young people think it won't happen to them. They also rarely got tested and just quarantined or pretended they just had the flu.

Again, US hills stayed open with measures in place, Alberta hills stayed opened and over all with the measures in place Skiing, especially in Ontario, was an outdoor lower risk activity as Ontario has no one living in shared accommodations. Wear your mask, keep you sanitizer, don't go out when sick, and keep 6 feet distance. I never rode a chair all winter with anyone but my husband and my bubble of friends who were as cautious as me. I left the North Carolina hill twice when I felt it was too crowded and allowed too many people on the bus from the parking, but I went to one of the others that followed protocols well and had the staff following them properly and asked people to put on their masks etc.

Tremblant seemed to do well for the season. I think it's a shame the staff at Whistler didn't take it seriously enough and follow all the protocols, cause I believe if they had it wouldn't have been as big an issue.

I am pleased Ontario was able to open for the last month, even though cases were much higher in that month than previous months and it seemed to go well from what I heard.

For those that wonder the reason for the risks.

https://apple.news/AGKa25-35QLu90fyoET2abA

200 cases transmitted by the resort. Just think “they tell 2 friend and so on”.

This is a bad thing no matter how you see it.

I am not a lock down fan, but certain activities carry risks beyond what we conceive.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Tremblant did really well. I know that a lot of people were pissed off with the "mask police", but it worked and they were able to stay open till yesterday.

It hasn't been a good snow year at all. So things are really bare. Add in the fact that Ontario moved it's spring break to this week, Tremblant decided to close operations yesterday. Not enough terrain available and too many Covid cases maybe coming from Ontario. I heard that the staff didn't want them there. Can't blame them at all.

This year was about Quality, not Quantity!!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Peaks' last ski day was Easter Monday.

When Whistler closed (over 200 people with highly contagious Brazil variant) SP canceled the WB passholder half price lift ticket reciprocal deal in an effort to not get a flood of WB and Van skiers at SP for Easter weekend. It doesn't seem to have worked as even with SP closed since April 5, there has been a 23 Covid case outbreak as of April 9 at SP.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I guess to make things equal, Premier Ford closed the golf courses today. Also all playgrounds...
Just like I did with skiing, I played the last day of golf!!. How effing depressing. :nono:

scott43

Skier
I've read that the Ottawa police won't be stopping people who are walking around. I'm waiting to hear what TO police say but from my conversations with my family and friends in TO police, and the officers who were hanging out in my neighbourhood last weekend, they will not enforce any arbitrary stop orders. They will respond if someone calls police to report an unsafe gathering. But we'll see..

We've been pretty isolated all along anyway..

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Exactly my thoughts. If you're not doing anything stupid, you won't be bothered by them. So make sure your headlights are on, your tail lights both light up and pay attention to the road rules, you shouldn't be stopped.

I did hear that in TO, they are concerned about political issues, which I won't expand upon...

scott43

Skier
We have to hustle out and get the remaining lumber we need for our backyard projects today. I intend to keep riding so we'll see what comes of that.

I have to say, TO cops get dumped on but they're very very good on the whole. They know what the deal is. I think they'll be reasonable and effective.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well now they have a good fishing excuse to stop you. Much better than driving while.......
Walking outside? Exercise. Perfectly legal under the law.
Driving, well you need to be driving for one of the exceptions allowed under law.
The Acts and Regulations are the law.
I've found looking up what the law actually says very helpful as compared to media and politicians "summaries".
For example https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/210265

Sponsor

Staff online