• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Letter on Diversity in Our Sport

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The continued discussion on diversity is compelling and we are not letting it rest.

Pulled out just the stats here, figure shown at 8:45:

Racial and Ethnic Demographics of US Ski Participants ('20-'21)
87.5% White
6.1% Asian
5.8% Latino(a)
1.5% Black
1.8% Other
7.0% Indigenous (Native american/Native alaskan)

Total > 100% since some check multiple boxes.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It remains a challenge to integrate "Snow" into the various cultural norms. I think that these two organizations have an approach that may lead to more successes:

https://www.sharewinterfoundation.org/

My personal story of exposure has been that I was always drawn to snow & ice. I wrote graffiti as a kid growing up in the South Bronx. Graffiti was HUGE in my neighborhood. But it was more of the illegal kind covering the inner city metros. I have no idea how I missed getting arrested .... more times than I can count. We looked up to the "fathers" of modern graffiti living near us. Names like "Stay High", "FDT" (Everyone always wondered what that meant..... just his initials! LOL) , "Hoy" ( A White guy!!! LOL), LSD, CLYDE.... and many others. My written name was an indication of my future relationship w/ skiing.... "ICE 151"

Nowadays these original "Pieces" ( DEF NOT MINE LOL ) would be on par w/ Banksy and worth thousands if not millions of dollars. Historically, Prof. Greg Carr African American studies professor from Howard described our art form as culturally descendent from the Egyptian cultural need for hieroglyphics. It's an existential form of self expression that defies law, and boundaries. It was our "Calling" and a means to push the artistic envelope.

Graffiti is an artform that has progressed far beyond where I could ever imagine. A friend took these pics for me and gave them to me mounted for my birthday. This is w/in the past decade from the UK, Brick Lane area over in London. Notice the one piece....... from our direction it says "STAR", from theirs inside the pic "RATS" ... interesting commentary...

Attachments

• IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1432.jpg
    IMG_1432.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love your story @Yo Momma Thanks for sharing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Very interesting article in Taos News about Deb Armstrong's views and experience as an Olympic athlete and what she is doing to pave a better path. From the article: “As a project pioneer, there are so few Black, brown Indigenous women of color who are advanced instructors," she said.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have been a big fan of Debbie Armstrong ever since she won the gold medal in the GS in 1984! Although I admire her with or without the medals as she has posted some really good coaching clinics on various media sites over the years. In one of my other posts about the unfairness of seeding in NCAA ski racing, that is just another component that is preventing diversity in collegiate skiing. Just look at the rosters of most NCAA ski teams and which more like one of the racist college sports teams from the 1950's where some areas were still practicing Jim Crow laws. I am not saying Dartmouth and Utah are racists as I am sure they are wonderful student-athletes, but the reality is there is just about zero diversity in collegiate skiing. Last season we had a talented and wonderful girl in our program who is African American and I kept encouraging her to race in college. She is now racing for a top USCSA program and I am hopeful she is having a good experience. Accessibility and diversity is the key to success for the USST!!! It works for nearly all our other sports, why not alpine and nordic skiing???

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
In fairness, there's much more diversity in the general skiing population than racing. Is this discrimination? I'd say it's a vestige of a past demographic. Let's see in about 5-10 years when the kids of these new skiers, sons and daughters of new immigrants enter the system. It's not 'if', but 'when' IMHO. That there aren't more African Americans skiing is part of the legacy of discrimination without a doubt, but to label current racers as racist seems pretty over the top. Privileged? Sure. I doubt many would disagree. So what to do? Quit? Step aside? Mikaela's father was a surgeon. If he'd been a highschool teacher, I very much doubt we'd be reading about her now. Anyhow....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In fairness, there's much more diversity in the general skiing population than racing. Is this discrimination? I'd say it's a vestige of a past demographic. Let's see in about 5-10 years when the kids of these new skiers, sons and daughters of new immigrants enter the system. It's not 'if', but 'when' IMHO. That there aren't more African Americans skiing is part of the legacy of discrimination without a doubt, but to label current racers as racist seems pretty over the top. Privileged? Sure. I doubt many would disagree. So what to do? Quit? Step aside? Mikaela's father was a surgeon. If he'd been a highschool teacher, I very much doubt we'd be reading about her now. Anyhow....
Benefiting from the legacy of systemic racism <> being a racist.. necessarily..

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
to label current racers as racist seems pretty over the top.
Who said that?

If you care about the issue, you can work on in any of a range of ways - either within the sport or the broader society. If you don't care to work on it, that's up to you. But I'd urge you not participate in conversations about racism with straw men like the above.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think the key to improving diversity in alpine ski racing is when ever we have a student-athlete of color, be positive and supportive. When I was a little kid my first sports hero was Leroy Kelly of the Cleveland Browns. My parents had long time family friends who live in Cleveland and invited us to a Browns game every year. At the time I was about seven years old and I didn't care if Leroy Kelly was African-American or any other race, he was simply my first sports hero and I still have his autographed photo he gave me after a game. In ski racing, like with Tiger Woods in golf and Simone Biles in gymnastics, once we get the ball rolling with more diversity than we'll see more athletes of color. The first step is we need to provide more opportunities to ski and race to a wider range of kids and not just the most affluent families. Yes equity inclusion does require some effort but in the long run it will only help us grow the sport of alpine ski racing.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Who said that?

If you care about the issue, you can work on in any of a range of ways - either within the sport or the broader society. If you don't care to work on it, that's up to you. But I'd urge you not participate in conversations about racism with straw men like the above.

Woah, was just responding to what i thought i read in an earlier post.

Everything else you just wrote couldn't possibly be more mistaken. I'm a SSD at a smaller, independent ski area. We do everything we can to make new skiers of every race, culture, etc..., feel welcome, and that they are very much part of our ski/sb community. It's critical for the longterm health of the sport that it resemble the racial/cultural demographic of the larger population. We offer very low cost first year lesson/rental/pass prograns, and wo=k with local schools to get opportunities for less affluent and ecent immigrant students on the hill. I remind our staff often that one of their kids will one day represent the US on the world stage, and this is your chance to contribute to that outcome..

On a personal note, my son is mixed race, so believe me, I'm aware of what all that means and my role in making a better future for him. Please be careful before leaping to conclusions, or at least offer the opportunity for clarification with a question.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't see it. Apologies if I missed it. Where is that earlier post?

Great you are working on making skiing more accessible.

See post 287 from wolcoma. Did i read too much into it? Possibly.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
See post 287 from wolcoma. Did i read too much into it? Possibly.
Most probably. This comes up in diversity and anti-racism conversations all the time - someone points to a racist situation or manifestation and there is this reaction "You're calling them/me/whoever racist." It's not good. Please think about that.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most probably. This comes up in diversity and anti-racism conversations all the time - someone points to a racist situation or manifestation and there is this reaction "You're calling them/me/whoever racist." It's not good. Please think about that.
Yeah, I see this defensive reaction all the time in anti-racism discussions. No need to be defensive if your words and actions are aligned with your professed values!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Efforts to reduce or eliminate privilege are often seen as "oppression" to those who enjoy that privilege or refuse to acknowledge that privilege. ..

That is certainly not the case with my own beliefs. I know if i had grown up poor in downtown Detroit, I most likely would never have the opportunities I've had growing up.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
....that is just another component that is preventing diversity in collegiate skiing. Just look at the rosters of most NCAA ski teams and which more like one of the racist college sports teams from the 1950's where some areas were still practicing Jim Crow laws. I am not saying Dartmouth and Utah are racists as I am sure they are wonderful student-athletes, but the reality is there is just about zero diversity in collegiate skiing.

The bolded is what I read too much into.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January