• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinions on Resort Shells: FLG Knight bs PGucci Powder Bowl

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
So it’s time to find a new shell.

I am looking for a rugged resort shell that can take a beating (from branches and chairs and the occasion dog jumping up in me) and still perform well for a few seasons. i figure now is the best time to start shopping as the season winds down.

I am specifically looking at the Flylow Knight and Patagonia Powder Bowl. Both have good reviews and offer excellent warranties.

I have been impressed with all my Patagonia gear and I see no reason why the PB wouldn’t be a great jacket, but I would like to support a company that is HQ’d in my AO.

I would like a jacket that offers great wind protection and great zippers. I occasioanally hit some side country and some resort boot packs so I don’t want something that will be super hot, so at least some breathability or good venting is required. Skiing in CO where it’s mostly dry, waterproofing is not a huge concern but I would like something with decent protection.

Do any of you have experience with the Knight? Powder Bowl? Both?

Any other suggestions? I am not a huge fan of Strafe and have heard about some issues with customer service.

I am not interested in an insulated model, I like laying and have a decent layer setup I use.

I will look into all suggestions

thanks!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I picked up the Flylow Quantum Pro jacket last June for $170 during their summer clearance sale. Love this jacket- extremely waterproof and wind resistant. The material on that jacket is better than the Knight jacket. 20k/20k waterproof breathable membrane vs 10k/10k waterproof breathable membrane. Big fan of Flylow.
They do have a 30% off sale going on right now. Waiting for the summer sale can be risky due to low inventory.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Power Bowl jacket is 2-layer Gore-Tex and is on the heavy side for a shell. Since breathability is important then I'd be looking at 3-layer jackets like the Untracked jacket or the Pow Slayer (just size down it runs HUGE) for Patagonia jackets. Also, I've heard good things about Stio's Environ jacket (also 3-layer). Otherwise, you can't beat the Dead Bird's Sabre AR and Rush jackets, both 3-layer Gore-tex with the later being Gore-tex pro, especially if you can find them on sale. I have the Rush and its is bombproof.

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the input

Yeah Dead bird stuff is nice but never, ever goes on sale and I’m cheap lol

ill look at the pow slayer and untracked, maybe can find a deal.

the Knight is 3L

I worry much more about the wind than breathability, I about froze my snarglies off this year on the lift at times.

I’ll take a look at the rush as well!

James

Out There
Instructor
I worry much more about the wind than breathability, I about froze my snarglies off this year on the lift at times.
Be wary of eVent membrane then. It’s 30k/30k but doesn’t feel warm. It would have to have a good inner layer. That’s only based on a FlyLow shell.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Be wary of eVent membrane then. It’s 30k/30k but doesn’t feel warm. It would have to have a good inner layer. That’s only based on a FlyLow shell.
Yeah I used to get all the real expensive shells with the mega breathability until I started freezing on the lift in the wind. My home hill is windy a lot.

even with really nice layers i still get cold and the wind cuts through me

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I used to get all the real expensive shells with the mega breathability until I started freezing on the lift in the wind. My home hill is windy a lot.

even with really nice layers i still get cold and the wind cuts through me
Consider an insulated jacket then. Much better.

Take a look at this. -
<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have the older FlyLow Neoshell based Lab 2.0 coat and last years eVent based Lab coat. The Neoshell is good in wind. Water not so much - got soaked in Stowe and actually put a goretex shell on underneath to stay warm. Now maybe the dwr needed refreshing.

The eVent I only wore once so far, but was surprised how cold it was. I’m a little concerned and it msy be relegated to warmish conditions.

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Consider an insulated jacket then. Much better.

Take a look at this. -
<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have the older FlyLow Neoshell based Lab 2.0 coat and last years eVent based Lab coat. The Neoshell is good in wind. Water not so much - got soaked in Stowe and actually put a goretex shell on underneath to stay warm. Now maybe the dwr needed refreshing.

The eVent I only wore once so far, but was surprised how cold it was. I’m a little concerned and it msy be relegated to warmish conditions.
I see some good deals on some Flylow insulated out there right now and found a steal on the Knight.

Usually it’s pretty dry out here and even in driving snow its usually pretty dry. If it gets real bad I will swap out to my more waterproof shells. My old mountain hardware beads water like no other.

@James as far as build, zippers, construction now would you rate your flylow gear?

also, the gear shop on the mountain usually blows stuff out this time of year and they have Flylow on the rack, some Pata.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can only second the Flylow Quantum Pro. Tough, rugged, great pocket design and amazingly good value. I’ve used mine about 350 days so far and it’s like new. Just got one for my son.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can only second the Flylow Quantum Pro. Tough, rugged, great pocket design and amazingly good value. I’ve used mine about 350 days so far and it’s like new. Just got one for my son.
Love the options here

im mad about zippers, I love my latest mountain hardware but the zippers on the vents freaking blow!

How about the vent zippers?

James

Out There
Instructor
as far as build, zippers, construction now would you rate your flylow gear?
It’s quite good. I haven’t used it enough like HDN to give you definitive answer for long term use, but I don’t for see problems.

The new Lab coat I discovered after I bought it didn’t have the fairly large low inside pocket which has been good for all sorts of things.

I also got a very light, thin jacket for spring skiing. D$ it was called, for Dharon Rhalves. He wanted No hood, light, pretty windproof for spring. I probably tested it to 45mph last spring skiing, and still good for wind.
It’s a weird piece, almost nothing, but I really like it. You might consider something like that as an inner layer under whatever.

As far as pit zips, haven’t used the new ones yet. The old Lab 2.0 are pretty good. The only really easy pit zip I’ve encountered is on a HH uniform jacket as they are very big tooth. But that’s heavy as hell and you still have to hold the sleeve or do contortions.

I have an older Mountain Hardware insulated jacket I got for shipping from someone on here. The main zipper was broken. I found out MH has lifetime guarantee, so sent it in. The old zipper was much too fine toothed. They replaced it in 3 months with a much more rugged one.

You might contact them and see if they’ve since changed the zips, and are willing to do yours since they don’t work well.

@Ron is the one who knows a lot about different shells. Way beyond me.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love the options here

im mad about zippers, I love my latest mountain hardware but the zippers on the vents freaking blow!

How about the vent zippers?
The zippers are great- the only issue I have are with the pit zips- not the easiest to open or close. But it seems like I'm always trying to do this on the lift with 1 hand. But typically you aren't opening and closing the pit zips constantly....

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
The zippers are great- the only issue I have are with the pit zips- not the easiest to open or close. But it seems like I'm always trying to do this on the lift with 1 hand. But typically you aren't opening and closing the pit zips constantly....
Good to hear!

I am looking for a steal on the quantum, I found them already on the Knight and Albert

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January